• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ubuntu Switches to GNOME

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For those of us who follow Ubuntu, it seems that they're on their way of removing Unity and going full-fledged GNOME. Thoughts?

I'd much rather Unity 7 be the default environment, but it seems like they have other plans for that. It's a little disappointing.

Years
  • Wow, GNOME is definitely a throwback for Ubuntu! I remember using Ubuntu back with version 10.10 and prior, and GNOME was the default environment in lieu of Unity.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I'm all for this. Gnome 3 is still an unusable pile of crap (imo) but anything's better than unity.

Years
  • Yeah, saw the news at OMG!Ubuntu! Saw it two weeks after I installed Ubuntu 16.04 so I said, "why don't I try out GNOME? Maybe I will like it." Ooh boy was I wrong. Believe me, I tried to like the GNOME desktop. GNOME has its own charm and beauty which I can feel and appreciate.

If it wouldn't just hog all the RAM (low end laptop with just 4 GB of RAM) and if its not overall clunky (for me), I would have used it. But I since then moved to KDE Neon, and so far it has been a sweet ride. At first I thought KDE was this messy, bloated, bug-ridden piece of software but now I am loving it.

So yeah, haha. I'm just slightly disappointed that Unity is gone because I love that Global Menu and it does really save up real screen estate. rip in peace unity7

Last edited:
    Back