• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Im trying to figure out the best emulator for gba files

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I'm assuming you're on PC.

I personally love mGBA, but it can be very difficult to get away from VBA. Many hacks rely on VBA-specific quirks (or, less charitably, bugs); for example, some of the RTC implementations for Fire Red will only work in VBA (or its descendants) and are totally broken on actual hardware (via flash cards) or more accurate emulators (such as mGBA).

Whatever you do though, avoid classic VBA, because it has myriad easily exploited security vulnerabilities. I would generally recommend using VBA-M to play hacks and mGBA to play unmodified games.

However, if you are making a ROM hack, I highly suggest you do the bulk of your play-testing on mGBA. mGBA's emulation of the GBA hardware is far more accurate; if it works in mGBA chances are very high that it will work on actual hardware /and/ VBA-M.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • Avoid old VBA. mGBA is the best option, or if you're definitely in love with VBA use VBA-M. For android phones myBoy/John GBA is a good choice, or Retroarch for Linux.

Miggiz125s

G L O W Y
    Years
  • For PC, VBA-M, or mGBA are both amazing emulators. but I prefer VBA-M. For mobile, MyBoy is really just one of, if not the best GBA emulator out there, no question. But I use RetroArch because I like everything in one place, as it has DS, GBA, and others. Your choice.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • I don't prefer RetroArch because it is extremely laggy, even on a brand new Apple iPhone 11.

...But not just because it's laggy, it gets extremely glitchy when too many ROM saves have been loaded.

Though, if I am wanting to play DS-Roms, I can use RetroArch

Also, tiny question: Who else thinks Desmume is the worst DS emulator? :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2020
    I use VBA-Link because it supports old hacks that otherwise don't run on mGBA, and it has trading.

Back