• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critique/Rate My Team

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2021
    Hello! I'm new to competitive battling and have tried to build my own team. I have used a bit of help from Smogon and tried out the team on Pokemon Online and it did pretty well most of the time. I did run into some problems, but I'll address those after I show you my team. NOTE: I would put pictures up but apparently I'm not allowed to until I post more than 15 times.

1. Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EV's: 252 Hp / 176 Def / 80 SpD
    Nature: Relaxed
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball

This set is pretty self-explanatory. Forretress sets up Toxic Spikes/Spikes and gets rid of enemy hazards with Rapid Spin.

2. Celebi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EV's: 252 Hp / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
    Nature: Calm
    - Psychic
    - U-Turn
    - Recover
    - Perish Song

This a specially defensive Celebi. With Perish Song, he can stop set-up sweepers and U-Turn out. Psychic can also hit Fighting-Types and a lot of others hard. Recover is used after it has accumulated damage from walling. The 24 EV's invested in speed are to out-speed a lot of other Pokemon.

3. Heatran @ Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EV's: 252 SpD / 248 Hp / 8 Spe
    Nature: Calm
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Protect
    - Stealth Rock

Heatran is also specially defensive. He works really well with Forretress and Celebi, absorbing the Fire-Type attacks and then either using Stealth Rock predicting the switch or going for Earth Power on some Pokemon. With Toxic Spikes, I don't need Toxic and have protect instead to do a bit of scouting or racking up hazard damage.

4. Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EV's: 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Nature: Modest
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power (Ice)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect

My special attacker.

5. Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EV's: 252 Hp / 184 Def / Spe
    Nature: Impish
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Fang
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt

Gliscor is my bulky attacker. It can switch into Earthquake's aimed at Heatran with no risk and start setting up Swords Dance's. It can also prevent set-up sweepers with Taunt.

6. Salamence @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EV's: 252 Hp / 128 Def / 128 SpD
    Nature: Hardy
    - Wish
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Tail

Salamence is my team's supporter which catches a lot of opponents by surprise. Wish is its main responsibility to restore the Hp of its teammates. I didn't put that much time into the EV spread, so I know it's not that good.

Well, that's my team. The main problem I have is set-up sweepers as I only really have two counters and if I don't predict their switch into play, they can get 1-2 stat boosts before I can stop them. Another problem is Choice Scarf Heatran. It out-speeds my Heatran and almost always switches when I send out my Gliscor into a counter (They keep doing this until they find an opening to take down my Gliscor and then I have no other counters against the Heatran except Rotom-W). If you see any other problems, let me know what and how to fix it.

Thank you for taking a moment to look at my team. Any feedback is very much appreciated.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Forretress has a bad case of 4 moveslot syndrome. Toxic Spikes isn't as useful anymore:
    -Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch
    -Gyro Ball/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Relaxed/Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Tbh, Sitrus Berry ain't useful competitively. While Pain Split is a shaky form of recovery, Rotom-W has no viable recovery outside of that and Rest:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Pain Split/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Will-o-Wisp
    EVs: 184 HP/4 Def/144 SAtk/176 Spe
    Item:Leftovers

You really should get with the B2/W2 changes, so Gliscor's SD set needs some changing around:
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Acrobatics
    -Substitute
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Flying Gem
    Ability: Hyper Cutter/Poison Heal

I have a bit more I have to say but I'll stop here for now

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2021
    Forretress has a bad case of 4 moveslot syndrome. Toxic Spikes isn't as useful anymore:
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch

Tbh, Sitrus Berry ain't useful competitively. While Pain Split is a shaky form of recovery, Rotom-W has no viable recovery outside of that and Rest:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp

You really should get with the B2/W2 changes, so Gliscor's SD set needs some changing around:
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Acrobatics
    -Substitute

Hey, thanks. I see I still need a lot of work to be done. I'll take in your suggestions but you also said you had more, so let me know what else I should consider fixing up. Thanks again!

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2021
    Forretress has a bad case of 4 moveslot syndrome. Toxic Spikes isn't as useful anymore:
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch

-Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp

-Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Acrobatics
    -Substitute

OK, so I tried out some of your suggestions and have been doing a lot better. You were right, Toxic Spikes and Spikes aren't that useful so I switched them out for Stealth Rock which I then took off my Heatran and gave him Toxic. Heatran almost always makes the opponent switch giving me a free Toxic in there and then use Protect to get a bit of Toxic damage and to scout what move they want to use where I would then switch appropriately to resist the hit (predicting they'll go for the same move). As for Rotom-W, I tried out Pain Split but I didn't see myself using it that much and felt like Hidden Power (Ice) was a lot more useful. I also like Volt Switch better than Thunderbolt because it still hits pretty hard, and if it doesn't KO, I go to Forretress and Volt Switch again if I know I can resist that Pokemon. I also LOVE the Acrobatics Gliscor set. Flying Gem boosted Acrobatics has 1-Hit KO'd other Pokemon that RESIST it. I still stick with Poison Heal, though, as I can usually predict a Toxic for Gliscor to switch in.

Your suggestions are very helpful and I wouldn't mind more if anyone thinks there is something else that should be fixed up.

Back