• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
  • Okay, sounds good. Make sure to shoot me a message or something when it is fixed. :)

It is already fixed, but you will have to wait for my next, super awesome, update. Did I tell you guys already I am almost done with a habitat editor? The first one EVER.:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just for clarification, here is what v1.2 looks like:
    -Hex Editor
    -Habitat Editor
    -Icon palette is chosen automatically during loading
    -Icon palettes now save
    -Drag and drop works properly
    -A "Done!" dialog appears when Pokemon are expanded
    -A ton of other bug fixes I implemented

I also might do Pokedex order editing. What I am thinking is completely going away from what other tools do, where you get a list of Pokemon and you can change their order. Instead, I am just thinking of having two counter dialogs (one for the National Pokedex and one for the RSE Pokedex) in the Pokedex tab that allow you to change it for just that Pokemon. With this, you can map multiple Pokemon to the same entry (formes???????) and such.

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • It is already fixed, but you will have to wait for my next, super awesome, update. Did I tell you guys already I am almost done with a habitat editor? The first one EVER.:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just for clarification, here is what v1.2 looks like:
    -Hex Editor
    -Habitat Editor
    -Icon palette is chosen automatically during loading
    -Icon palettes now save
    -Drag and drop works properly
    -A "Done!" dialog appears when Pokemon are expanded
    -A ton of other bug fixes I implemented

I also might do Pokedex order editing. What I am thinking is completely going away from what other tools do, where you get a list of Pokemon and you can change their order. Instead, I am just thinking of having two counter dialogs (one for the National Pokedex and one for the RSE Pokedex) in the Pokedex tab that allow you to change it for just that Pokemon. With this, you can map multiple Pokemon to the same entry (formes???????) and such.
    Sounds awesome so far~ :)

But I've come with yet another problem :/
    I added 331 Pokemon to the ROM. After that, I went and inserted all of their front and back sprites. My next step was to change the names of all of the newly added Pokemon from "TEMP" to say "Turtwig" or something. When I save the name and go to the next Pokemon, the "Turtwig" name that I gave the Poke is erased and reverts back to "TEMP".

karatekid552

Years
  • Sounds awesome so far~ :)

But I've come with yet another problem :/
    I added 331 Pokemon to the ROM. After that, I went and inserted all of their front and back sprites. My next step was to change the names of all of the newly added Pokemon from "TEMP" to say "Turtwig" or something. When I save the name and go to the next Pokemon, the "Turtwig" name that I gave the Poke is erased and reverts back to "TEMP".

Did you click "Save All" or "Save Tab". "Save Tab" will only save what is on the currently opened tab (as in the Sprites or Moves tabs). The name is not on one of the sub-tabs and therefore is only saved by clicking "Save All".

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Not really a big deal, but could you make it that if you press tab in the moves section (where you write the move's name, and the level next to it, and where it says replace next to that) it goes to the level? It's a bit hard to explain. You press tab after writing the move's name it takes you to the thing where you have to write the level in which it learns it.

karatekid552

Years
  • Not really a big deal, but could you make it that if you press tab in the moves section (where you write the move's name, and the level next to it, and where it says replace next to that) it goes to the level? It's a bit hard to explain. You press tab after writing the move's name it takes you to the thing where you have to write the level in which it learns it.

That is a bug in the library itself. On all other OSs, it works flawlessly, but for some reason on Windows every time you hit a combobox (dropdown lists) tabs stop working. I have no idea why and it even happens on the original library code without any of my modifications. The library is programmed in C++ and it is already compiled so I have no way of modifying it, even if I did know how to fix it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2019
    I have hit a bit of a snag, hopefully someone can help me.

I've been inserting sprites and after closing and restarting G3HS some of the sprites fail to load, with the error message: "Images failed to decompress, aborting sprite load".
    The sprites in question were all taken from Chaos' database. Only other modifications to the rom have been MrD's attack/decap mod and some tinkering with maps in A-map (no inserting tiles or sprites changes whatsoever).

I have not changed any of the options while inserting the sprites, so the "fill sprites with 0xFF on repoint" button was flagged the entire time. Is this the problem?

Another question: does anyone know of a resource where I can easily download all the little pokemon icons (the ones on the right side in G3HS), as well as the footprints? Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    I'm having problems with MrDollSteak's Decap and Attack Rombase. It loads like normal, but when I press on Bulbasaur, or any pokemon for that matter, I get an error saying that it cannot read it due to a number of added moves. What can I do to fix this?

karatekid552

Years
  • I'm having problems with MrDollSteak's Decap and Attack Rombase. It loads like normal, but when I press on Bulbasaur, or any pokemon for that matter, I get an error saying that it cannot read it due to a number of added moves. What can I do to fix this?

I can almost guarantee this is a terminator issue since the number of moves in MrDollSteak's ini is maxed out. If your numbers are 511 and then 510 (or something right around there) then the learned moves do not end in FFFF, so my program simply continues to search (just like the game would) until it finds FFFF. Of course, it will come in contact with numbers outside of the range of 510, which it can't load since it doesn't exist. Normally, this is caused by a poor learned moves table offset that points to the wrong data. I know for a fact that a clean MrDollSteak patch works perfectly, so I know that it is something to do with your rom.

I have hit a bit of a snag, hopefully someone can help me.

I've been inserting sprites and after closing and restarting G3HS some of the sprites fail to load, with the error message: "Images failed to decompress, aborting sprite load".
    The sprites in question were all taken from Chaos' database. Only other modifications to the rom have been MrD's attack/decap mod and some tinkering with maps in A-map (no inserting tiles or sprites changes whatsoever).

I have not changed any of the options while inserting the sprites, so the "fill sprites with 0xFF on repoint" button was flagged the entire time. Is this the problem?

Another question: does anyone know of a resource where I can easily download all the little pokemon icons (the ones on the right side in G3HS), as well as the footprints? Thanks!

Yes, if there are shared sprites, ie the expanded pokemon all share the same blank images (because 800+ blank images and palettes is a stupid idea) if you fill them with FF, poof they are gone for the other sprites that need them.

Footprints can be found on bulbapedia and icons are somewhere on the internet. I know I saw them a while ago. Just give it a google.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2019
    Yes, if there are shared sprites, ie the expanded pokemon all share the same blank images (because 800+ blank images and palettes is a stupid idea) if you fill them with FF, poof they are gone for the other sprites that need them.

Footprints can be found on bulbapedia and icons are somewhere on the internet. I know I saw them a while ago. Just give it a google.

Just tried again with a fresh rom and ran into the same problem.

The thing is, I´m not trying to expand the pokedex, rather replace it. This time I unchecked `Fill with 0xFF´ on every override, but I ran into the same problem.
    The only thing I can think of with my limited knowledge is that I´m somehow overwriting required sprite pallettes. Though I have no idea how to circumvent that. Any ideas?
    I can send you an ips patch of the rom if it would help.

Thanks for any assistance!

Edit: Seems the problem might have been on my end. I restarted and haven´t run into any issues so far. I probably forgot to unflag the fill button at some point.
    It might be a good idea to keep the button unchecked as standard, as it seems like a bit of an advanced option!

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
  • Just tried again with a fresh rom and ran into the same problem.

The thing is, I´m not trying to expand the pokedex, rather replace it. This time I unchecked `Fill with 0xFF´ on every override, but I ran into the same problem.
    The only thing I can think of with my limited knowledge is that I´m somehow overwriting required sprite pallettes. Though I have no idea how to circumvent that. Any ideas?
    I can send you an ips patch of the rom if it would help.

Thanks for any assistance!

Edit: Seems the problem might have been on my end. I restarted and haven´t run into any issues so far. I probably forgot to unflag the fill button at some point.
    It might be a good idea to keep the button unchecked as standard, as it seems like a bit of an advanced option!

The box should be auto-unchecked for shared sprites, at least that is how I programmed it. (and I tested that feature quite well) I know that it works the way it should, so my guess is that you have another program open that is not as careful as mine, perhaps maybe A-Map. You see, my program assumes almost nothing, so when you click save, at that exact moment, it does all of the calculating. It searches then for free space after freshly opening the rom (the rom was not preloaded and then written to stale, it is opened and closed each time work needs to be done or data read so that the rom is not locked) however there are a lot of programs that don't do this. A-Map being the most notable, keeps the rom open the whole time and then writes to it whenever it needs to (leading to permission denied errors and all sorts of other fun stuff) so my guess is that it decided that some free space was free that wasn't because you had just saved to it and bam, issues.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2019
    The box should be auto-unchecked for shared sprites, at least that is how I programmed it. (and I tested that feature quite well) I know that it works the way it should, so my guess is that you have another program open that is not as careful as mine, perhaps maybe A-Map. You see, my program assumes almost nothing, so when you click save, at that exact moment, it does all of the calculating. It searches then for free space after freshly opening the rom (the rom was not preloaded and then written to stale, it is opened and closed each time work needs to be done or data read so that the rom is not locked) however there are a lot of programs that don't do this. A-Map being the most notable, keeps the rom open the whole time and then writes to it whenever it needs to (leading to permission denied errors and all sorts of other fun stuff) so my guess is that it decided that some free space was free that wasn't because you had just saved to it and bam, issues.

Well, I guess I did have HxD opened the entire time. That must have had something to do with it.
    In my last test I did consistently pick the first option when selecting free space, as opposed to just picking any of the 5 choices.
    Anyway, so far, no issues anymore, so I´ll happily continue inserting my sprites.

Cannot wait for the habitat update! I love having my ´dex sorted and its a good way to group pokes in wild grass.
    Once again, thanks for the tools, you´re enabling scripting noobs like me to have fun with this whole romhacking business!

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    I'm having sprite problems. I tried replacing Venusaur with Serperior, and I have everything except for the sprites working. It won't load the sprites unfortunately. It keeps saying that it keeps aborting the images. How do I fix this?

karatekid552

Years
  • I'm having sprite problems. I tried replacing Venusaur with Serperior, and I have everything except for the sprites working. It won't load the sprites unfortunately. It keeps saying that it keeps aborting the images. How do I fix this?

I am working on this right now. I have no idea the cause as it has never happened to me. I will get back to everyone when it is fixed.

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • I am working on this right now. I have no idea the cause as it has never happened to me. I will get back to everyone when it is fixed.

I'm not sure if this is what the previous comment meant, but I'm also having a problem with my sprites not loading. After sprite #0x244, whenever I try to scroll to the next TEMP sprite to edit it, the program shows this:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    (I think this may just be my computer, since no one seems to be having the same problem)
    I'd really like to try this out, but I've been getting an error message every time I download the file: "There was a problem while reading the contents of the file "Gen_III_Suite.MAC.zip" Data is corrupted" the message gives me the option to either stop or continue the download, and if the download continues, only the .pdf guide to using the program is in the Gen_III_Suite (Mac) folder.

My operating system is a Mac Snow Leopard, (10.6.8) and the program that I use to open files is The Unarchiver, if that helps.

karatekid552

Years
  • (I think this may just be my computer, since no one seems to be having the same problem)
    I'd really like to try this out, but I've been getting an error message every time I download the file: "There was a problem while reading the contents of the file "Gen_III_Suite.MAC.zip" Data is corrupted" the message gives me the option to either stop or continue the download, and if the download continues, only the .pdf guide to using the program is in the Gen_III_Suite (Mac) folder.

My operating system is a Mac Snow Leopard, (10.6.8) and the program that I use to open files is The Unarchiver, if that helps.

That files has 60 downloads and you are the only reporter, so yeah, I think it is you. I have had this happen on macs before with other zips that I know are fine. I really don't know how to fix it.

I'm not sure if this is what the previous comment meant, but I'm also having a problem with my sprites not loading. After sprite #0x244, whenever I try to scroll to the next TEMP sprite to edit it, the program shows this:
    Spoiler:

If it is only temp sprites, than I can guarentee you left the "fill with FF" box checked. The other people are having issues with their expanded sprite tables being overwritten, so every sprite doesn't work. All of the expanded sprites share a single blank sprite and palette (because inserting 800+ blanks sprites and palettes is a stupid idea) so if you overwrite it, all of the other ones won't be able to use it. I made sure that the box won't be checked if it is the blank data, so I don't know how this happened.

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • If it is only temp sprites, than I can guarentee you left the "fill with FF" box checked. The other people are having issues with their expanded sprite tables being overwritten, so every sprite doesn't work. All of the expanded sprites share a single blank sprite and palette (because inserting 800+ blanks sprites and palettes is a stupid idea) so if you overwrite it, all of the other ones won't be able to use it. I made sure that the box won't be checked if it is the blank data, so I don't know how this happened.

It must have been my fault, then. -_-
    Do you know of anyway I can fix it?

karatekid552

Years
  • It must have been my fault, then. -_-
    Do you know of anyway I can fix it?

Well, you need to remedy your sprite and palette tables. Your best shot, it to find the pointer to the blank image and blank palette by going to the offset of the Frontspritetable and frontpalettetable entries found in your ini using a hex editor and scrolling down to the entrites for the TEMP pokemons. Each entry is 8 bytes (pointer, data size), so you will just need to move forward 8*Pokemon number. Find the pointers and write them down. Then, we need to insert a blank sprite and palette at those locations respectively. So, I'll make this easy:

Blank sprite:
    Code:
    100008001f00000000023005900be017e028ffe039e04ae05be06ce07de08ee09fe0b0ffe0c1e0d2e0e3e0f4e105e116e127e138ffe149e15ae16be17ce18de19ee1afe1c0ffe1d1e1e2e1f3e204e215e226e237e248ffe259e26ae27be28ce29de2aee2bfe2d0ffe2e1e2f2e303e314e325e336e347e358ffe369e37ae38be39ce3ade3bee3cfe3e0ffe3f1e402e413e424e435e446e457e468ffe479e48ae49be4ace4bde4cee4dfe4f0ffe501e512e523e534e545e556e567e578ffe589e59ae5abe5bce5cde5dee5efe600ffe611e622e633e644e655e666e677e688ffe699e6aae6bbe6cce6dde6eee6ffe710ffe721e732e743e754e765e776e787e798fce7a9e7bae7cbe7dce7ede7fe0000fce7a9e7bae7cbe7dce7ede7fe0000

Blank palette:
    Code:
    102000001e00000000023005900be017001e00000000023005900be01700

I just made these myself using my LZ77 compression functions I wrote. I may have made a mistake in how long the string should have been but they look right. If they don't work, let me know.

Just insert these at the offsets you find in the tables.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2019
    Just to confirm, I just inserted close to 150 sprite sheets and haven't had any further problems.

The lessons I've learned:
    - Make sure G3HS is the only program open with access to the rom, this includes things like HxD and A-Map. Even if you only have it open for reference, having the additional program open probably hinders G3HS from saving everything correctly.
    - Uncheck "Fill sprites with 0xFF on repoint".
    - Don't do multiple overrides at the same time, work one sprite sheet at a time and double check everything. As soon as the sprites are in place, you should be golden.

I'm assuming that if you're pressing the "save all" button on a different tab than the sprite one and the "Fill with 0xFF" button is checked it'll still carry that order out. So this means you'll either have to uncheck that button each time or use the "save tab" feature, just in case.

For now, I've got my sprites sorted and I hope my feedback helped someone else having the same problems!

karatekid552

Years
  • Just to confirm, I just inserted close to 150 sprite sheets and haven't had any further problems.

The lessons I've learned:
    - Make sure G3HS is the only program open with access to the rom, this includes things like HxD and A-Map. Even if you only have it open for reference, having the additional program open probably hinders G3HS from saving everything correctly.
    - Uncheck "Fill sprites with 0xFF on repoint".
    - Don't do multiple overrides at the same time, work one sprite sheet at a time and double check everything. As soon as the sprites are in place, you should be golden.

I'm assuming that if you're pressing the "save all" button on a different tab than the sprite one and the "Fill with 0xFF" button is checked it'll still carry that order out. So this means you'll either have to uncheck that button each time or use the "save tab" feature, just in case.

For now, I've got my sprites sorted and I hope my feedback helped someone else having the same problems!

If you haven't touched sprites, then my program simply skips saving them, so don't worry about it in that case. Filling with FF only takes place if you are asked to repoint (which you can cancel) so you don't have to be that careful.:P You only need to uncheck it if something is sharing a sprite or palette.

BTW, I am currently developing and updater feature where it will download and unpack the update for you!:) It even takes care of adding and new changes to your ini. (like, for example, my next update has the habitat editor, which requires another ini line. The updater will parse through your ini and add that line to each entry that needs it. Cool, huh?) All of your custom ini sections will be safe and this *should* prevent the many accidental overwriting of the ini while updating that people have reported because they weren't being careful.-_- Lol

Back