• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old Dogs with New Tricks (OU RMT)

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
Years
  • Inspiration

When D_A and Aquilae came up with a team centered around Curselax, it got my attention as to how Snorlax could be quite successful in the standard metagame. I decided to try to build my own version of a Curselax-centered team. It took a few attempts and several different Pokemon considerations, but I feel that this version works quite well. It definitely can use some work, however.

What does Curselax like?

For a Curselax to be successful, Fighting-types need to obviously be cleared out first, as does Gengar and other Focus Blast users, because they are a pain to Snorlax. Residual damage is also very welcome for Snorlax, as it provides Snorlax with better chances of tearing through opponents late-game. Because of this, a spin blocker should also be on the team, and also helps prevent Explosion from being used on Snorlax. Salamence also loves crushing Snorlax if it hasn't set up, so a way to get rid of it (particularly the mixed versions) would be nice as well.

Overview of Curselax

Spr_3e_227.gif
    Spr_4h_251.png
    Spr_3e_330.gif
    Spr_4p_479O.png
    Spr_3e_380.gif
    Spr_3e_143.gif

A Closer Look at the Team

skarmory.png

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    Impish Nature (+Def, - Spa)
    Keen Eye
    252 HP/ 224 Def/ 32 Spe

DarkIC.gif
    Taunt
    NormalIC.gif
    Whirlwind
    FlyingIC.gif
    Roost
    GroundIC.gif
    Spikes

I love Taunt Skarmory, because all of the leads that Skarm can beat are easily set up on, and Spikes becomes a hassle for the other team. The only problems with this lead come from Azelf, Aerodactyl, and Heatran, all of who can be beaten elsewhere on the team, so its not a big hassle. Whirlwind provides shuffling and helps me to scout the opponent as well. I chose Shed Shell so Magnezone doesn't easily get rid of me. Really Skarm is valuable to this team because of its ability to get Spikes up.

celebi.png

Celebi @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    Natural Cure
    252 HP/ 252 Def/ 6 Spe

GrassIC.gif
    Grass Knot
    NormalIC.gif
    Perish Song

NormalIC.gif
    Recover
    RockIC.gif
    Stealth Rock

Adding on to the residual damage comes Celebi, who sets up Stealth Rock for the team, and also prevents last Pokemon sweeps with Perish Song. Recover helps provide a sturdier wall and allows me to stall out stuff like Tyranitar and Gyarados if needed.

flygon.png

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
    Naive Nature (+Spe, - Sp. Def)
    Levitate
    252 Atk/ 4 Spa/ 252 Spe

DragonIC.gif
    Outrage
    GroundIC.gif
    Earthquake
    BugIC.gif
    U-Turn
    FireIC.gif
    Fire Blast

Flygon was placed here because it can take out several Pokemon that threaten this team- Kingdra, Tyranitar, Salamence, and Infernape. I usually save Outrage for late game and scout out teams with U-Turn first unless something needs to be desperately taken out. Fire Blast can catch stuff like Forretress and Scizor on the switch in if I feel that one is coming.

rotomheat.png

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature (+ Def, - Atk)
    Levitate
    252 HP/ 168 Def/ 88 Spe

ElectricIC.gif
    Thunderbolt
    PsychicIC.gif
    Rest
    FireIC.gif
    Will-O-Wisp
    NormalIC.gif
    Sleep Talk

Rotom serves as 3 things in one shot: It cripples physical attackers, absorbs status, and blocks Rapid Spin. This makes it extremely valuable to my team, since Fighting-types are a pain to Snorlax, none of my team can take sleep, and residual damage is a huge part of why this team is successful in the first place. Thunderbolt allows me to smack around Bulky Gyarados harder and also beats stuff like Skarmory and whatnot. Rotom is currently one of the best spinblockers in OU, but soon, that might change because it'll die much easier to:
    Spoiler:
    zoroark.png
    <-- that guy.

latias.png

Latias @ Leftovers
    Timid Nature (+Spe, - Atk)
    Levitate
    252 HP/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def

DragonIC.gif
    Dragon Pulse
    NormalIC.gif
    Recover

WaterIC.gif
    Surf
    PsychicIC.gif
    Reflect

Latias provides a great resist to several types, and provides a great answer to Infernape, who this team extremely hates. I chose to put Reflect on Latias because Tyranitar is an idiot to it, and Surf deals with Hippowdon and Infernape much better than Dragon Pulse. Latias also provides a fourth ground immunity to this team, which diminishes my weakness to entry hazards greatly. This is extremely good for use against other stall teams.

snorlax.png

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Careful Nature (+ Sp. Def, - Sp. Atk)
    Thick Fat
    168 HP/ 120 Def/ 220 Sp. Def

t_unk.png
    Curse
    NormalIC.gif
    Body Slam
    FireIC.gif
    Fire Punch
    PsychicIC.gif
    Rest

After residual damage is down and threats are removed, Snorlax comes out late-game, ready to eat into the remaining parts of the opponent's team. After a couple of Curses, this thing is hard to stop. Body Slam cripples opponents thanks to paralysis chances, and Fire Punch provides the most coverage alongside it, hitting Ghosts as well as Metagross hard. Rest provides a great form of Recovery and allows Snorlax to mess with stuff that likes to use Toxic bar Gliscor (stupid Taunt+ Toxic combos =/) regardless this thing is just amazing and will beat you if you don't watch out.

Threats

212.png
    - Scizor: CB versions don't like messing with Skarm, Rotom also eats all other sets up with WoW.

380.png
    - Latias: Snorlax checks it well, and can screw it over with Body Slam. Flygon can also revenge kill, and Skarm walls defensive variants quite well unless they carry Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire

248.png
    - Tyranitar: Flygon can revenge kill with Earthquake. Celebi also 2HKOes with Grass Knot, and Rotom cripples with Will-O-Wisp.

376.png
    - Metagross: Ehh, Bullet Punch versions are a hassle, but Skarm can take most variants on, Flygon can revenge kill Agiligross with Earthquake, and Snorlax can tear into it with Fire Punch late game.

130.png
    - Gyarados: Rotom-H annihilates this poor little guy, Celebi and Skarm can also help out as well.

227.png
    - Skarmory: Rotom-H can take care of it, my Taunt Skarm can set up on non Taunt Skarmory, and Flygon can catch it with a Fire Blast.

485.png
    - Heatran: Snorlax walls most versions, Rotom-H can take the Explosions, and Tyranitar can tear into it with Earthquake.

462.png
    - Magnezone Flygon easily manhandles this guy, and Snorlax can set up on Sub versions as long as Explosion isn't in the equation, which Rotom can take.

479.png
    - Rotom-a: Snorlax sets up on it, Flygon also can absorb Tricks from this guy.

385.png
    - Jirachi: Physical Rachi is Spikes fodder for Skarm, Flygon can smack it around if it comes in on a resisted move. Snolax takes care of Special versions.

448.png
    - Lucario: Flygon can revenge kill, Skarmory can Phaze it out as well.

121.png
    - Starmie: Snorlax laughs at it.

482.png
    - Azelf: Flygon can mess with lead versions to an extent, and Rotom takes Explosions from it. Nasty Plot sets by Snorlax.

392.png
    -
    Infernape : Flygon can revenge kill, and Latias laughs at it.
    242.png
    - Blissey: Snorlax, Skarmory, and Celebi all party and set up on it.

437.png
    - Bronzong: Skarmory and Celebi go on a residual damage parade here.

251.png
    - Celebi: Skarmory, Snorlax, and Flygon can all deal with in their various ways.

260.png
    - Swampert: Taunt Skarmory laughs at it, and Celebi can kill it, Latias laughs at it.

407.png
    - Roserade: Rotom takes the Sleep, then Snorlax uses it to set up on.

373.png
    - Salamence: Flygon can revenge kill up to a +1 Mence thanks to Choice Scarf. Mixed versions also lose to Flygon, Specsmence is laughed on by Snorlax.

094.png
    - Gengar: Can be a pain, but Snorlax and Rotom combined can wear it down, Flygon can revenge kill Life Orb variants as well.

245.png
    - Suicune: Snorlax can set up on it, Celebi owns Crocune, and Rotom can chip at it with Thunderbolts.

205.png
    - Forretress: Rotom-H spinblocks and makes it useless, Skarm can Taunt it as well, Flygon can take it down with a Fire Blast.

134.png
    - Vaporeon: Handled like a champ by Snorlax. Rotom-H also can beat it out, and HP Electric variants are dealt with by Celebi.

145.png
    - Zapdos: Snorlax owns it.

230.png
    - Kingdra: Flygon can revenge kill it, Latias can win provided it hasn't set up yet.

142.png
    - Aerodactyl: Uhh... ok? Rotom tears it apart, and Celebi can take its hits well.

472.png
    - Gliscor: Latias can deal with it easily.

473.png
    - Mamoswine: Skarmory and Celebi eat it.

143.png
    - Snorlax: Skarmory can set up Spikes and Taunt it.Earthquake versions are laughed at by Rotom-H.

395.png
    - Empoleon: Snorlax beats all forms besides the rare suckish Swords Dance set, which Rotom laughs at.

450.png
    - Hippowdon: Skarmory sets up on it as does Celebi.

461.png
    - Weavile: Skarmory walls it, Celebi can force it out with Perish song and wear it down with Spikes damage.

135.png
    - Jolteon: Lax walls it completely, Latias can take anything bar Shadow Ball as well.

235.png
    - Smeargle: Rotom takes sleep, then Skarmory can force it out with Taunt.

488.png
    - Cresselia: Set up fodder for the residual damage duo and Snorlax.

460.png
    - Abomasnow : Skarmory can deal with it.

068.png
    - Machamp: Rotom-H says hi, but needs to make sure No Guard is the ability before firing a Will-O-Wisp. Usually Skarm or Celebi can determine this without getting hurt seriously.

This team has been awesome to play with, and does a great job. Of course it does need some changing around, but that's what you guys do right?

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok first problem

No Phazer is actually pretty bad. Use Whirlwind >> Brave Bird on Skarm. Yeah i know this sounds like it sucks, but it actually doesn't. Try it.

Use Rest Talk W-o-W on Rotom. Nothing can take sleep from the likes of a lead off Smeargle or Roserade.

Spikes are a pain for this team and so is Infernape. Especially those with priority, jeez. Defensive Latias might work > Jolteon. Then only 3/6 of your team is affected by Spikes.

Also DDTar decimates your entire team, no really EQ doesnt even OHKO foe Tar lol and last Pokemon are annoying for you too. Id really look into something to solve both. Perish Song could be easily placed on Celebi. Then all you need to sort out is the DD Tar issue. SuperPower could be placed on your own Tar > EQ and between that and Skarm you can sort of "deal with it" but not really well since nothing resists rock so that really blows considering it really owns your whole team with CB Stone Edge.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Ok first problem

No Phazer is actually pretty bad. Use Whirlwind >> Brave Bird on Skarm. Yeah i know this sounds like it sucks, but it actually doesn't. Try it.
    I'll try, but isn't Taunt weak an issue there?

Use Rest Talk W-o-W on Rotom. Nothing can take sleep from the likes of a lead off Smeargle or Roserade.
    K

Spikes are a pain for this team and so is Infernape. Especially those with priority, jeez. Defensive Latias might work > Jolteon. Then only 3/6 of your team is affected by Spikes.
    K

Also DDTar decimates your entire team, no really EQ doesnt even OHKO foe Tar lol and last Pokemon are annoying for you too. Id really look into something to solve both. Perish Song could be easily placed on Celebi. Then all you need to sort out is the DD Tar issue. SuperPower could be placed on your own Tar > EQ and between that and Skarm you can sort of "deal with it" but not really well since nothing resists rock so that really blows considering it really owns your whole team with CB Stone Edge.

Perish Song can be replaced over Leech Seed.

Anti was mentioning how Tar screws over the leftovers recovery strategy of the team, so I think I'll drop that. That gives me room to add a sturdy rock resist. Since Tar was helping out with Heatran/ Celebi/ Rachi/ Mixmence, I could placed a Scarf Flygon in that spot as it can effective deal with all of those as well.

So then overall changes would be:

Taunt Skarm w/ WW>> Brave Bird
    Celebi with Perish Song>> Leech Seed
    Rest Talk WoW Rotom-H
    Scarf Flygon
    Defensive Latias
    Curselax

Back