• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with pointers

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 13, 2018
Hi everyone. I know this sounds like a silly question, but i'm having trouble with calculating pointers for dialogue in pokemon Emerald. The pointers seem to be little endian so I have reversed the bytes, but I feel like I'm missing something...

Dialogue: "Welcome to the world of Pokemon!"
Offset: 0x2C899A

Calculations (using the programmer calculator on my computer):

+ 08000000 =
0x82C899A

Reversed (honestly not sure if I've done this step right):

0x9A892C8

There are two things I think I've done wrong. First, using the wrong offset. Birch's speech actually starts with "Hi! Sorry to keep you waiting." so i need to use the offset for that. But that's not really the point. I'm confused about calculating the pointer. If you can see anything wrong, please point it out to me! :)

Also, you know how strings are terminated with 0xFF... do each of them have their own pointer? Or am I misunderstanding about this too?

Back