• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Theory on Recovering Lost Data

'Zard

Vulpes bicaudata's alternate
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    I remember reading on another site that when someone used a variable voltage AC adapter with their original Game Boy with a Pokémon game, and put the voltage past what is standard, they recovered the old save file.
    Now, I don't know if this is true, but it sounds plausible. Data is a lot harder to erase than people thing, and I could see the remanence on the ROM remaining even after the internal battery has died. The higher voltage could potentially amplify the remanence to the point that it is recovered.

Now, there's a distinct possibility that you would destroy the system and/or cartridge, but they're pretty durable and might withstand it as long as the voltage isn't set too high. I don't have the proper equipment, but if someone's willing to risk their cartridge and system and report back, maybe we can find out if it works.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • More likely than not this is a rumor. That being said do you even know what chip type they use for the saves? They use RAM memory...(which is why it requires a battery to retain the data) RAM memory completely loses it's state, becoming completely blank after 10-20 minutes without power, so you'd really not have the time to build the adapter or save the circuit. Even if you did somehow revive the battery by using a higher voltage, there are high chances of that higher voltage doing damage and causing problems during gameplay. (Such as the game executing too fast, if you wanna know what I mean, get a rom and play a game after setting the emulator to play the game at 2x/200% speed.)

Not to mention many other problems could occur...thus damaging your system.

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
  • Ah, that would be nice. Unfortunately for us it does not seem very possible, but then again what do I know. All I can say is that I won't be volunteering my games for this experiment.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    This is slightly unrelated but on the subject of memory recovery:
    My digital camera has like 400 pictures on it right now. Last week I turned it on and all the pictures were gone and it only had about 10 pictures of me and my sisters from last Xmas, which weren't in the 400. I restarted the camera and the 400 pictures were back and the 10 were gone. When I browse the camera's folders on my computer now, I can't find those 10. Weird.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    This is slightly unrelated but on the subject of memory recovery:
    My digital camera has like 400 pictures on it right now. Last week I turned it on and all the pictures were gone and it only had about 10 pictures of me and my sisters from last Xmas, which weren't in the 400. I restarted the camera and the 400 pictures were back and the 10 were gone. When I browse the camera's folders on my computer now, I can't find those 10. Weird.

Someone must've changed the SD cards and forgot to place it back. Duh.

This is an interesting theory on recovering save data, but it's near impossible to do so. It's in the RAM section of the game and (usually) can't be restored by a jolt.

Stratos99

Banned
    Years
  • Just posting to say this is most likely untrue. Once the battery dies the data is gone, while you can revive the battery through this method there's really no way surefire way to recover lost save files in gsc, I'd assume rby as well but I haven't read up on those or even owned them, whereas I've had experience with my crystal cartridge. That being said I think it'd be even easier to just buy a new battery and install it yourself than going through this method. It's not very costly and all you really need is some tape and a screwdriver, as well as the battery but that'll only run you $2 or $3 at your local pharmacy or grocery store.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    And 10 bucks since you're going to break your cartridge anyway. XP

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • Strange experiments have unexpected effects. I dropped my Gameboy Advance with my Pokemon Sapphire in a toilet once. (Don't ask how I got it out.) Next thing I know, I encounter a wild Milotic and the Gameboy Advance goes into a coma. And I mean that in the most literal meaning of the word. The screen is blank but the power light is on even if it's off. Exactly as if it was in Sleep Mode, but stuck in it. (See what I mean by coma?)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Time to buy a second GBASP for me and test it out. Especially if the controls are fine, my GBASP is damaged like no tomorrow. Scratches everywhere and the screen might be cracked.

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
    Years
  • I would be too nervous to try this out. I don't think it is even worth the risk in the first place. There are many ways to fix the battery and having to start over isn't the worst thing in life either

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    Well, on a thread, I heard that this guy's brother's classmate jacked it up to 12 volts and that gave him his bro's old file. I wonder if it's true?

jjnerdful

Never post
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    CR2025 battery used for games back then were 3 volts. 12 volts would be more likely to fry and destroy the whole thing than reviving games.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    CR2025 battery used for games back then were 3 volts. 12 volts would be more likely to fry and destroy the whole thing than reviving games.

Wait, I remembered something. His classmate jacked up his charger or something like that, not just the game.

jjnerdful

Never post
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    No, no, no. None of the things you're describing right now would revive the games. The game cartridges themselves aren't supposed to take much, if any, more than 3v. "jacked up his charger or something like that" won't do much else other than frying.

Back