• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Fire Red level soft caps?

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    I've been looking into level softcaps for each gym leader/elite 4 like in Clover, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on this for Fire Red, only the Emerald decomp. I know it's possible in Fire Red because I've heard Radical Red has it, so if anyone can point me in the right direction on that I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I've been looking into level softcaps for each gym leader/elite 4 like in Clover, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on this for Fire Red, only the Emerald decomp. I know it's possible in Fire Red because I've heard Radical Red has it, so if anyone can point me in the right direction on that I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Well with anything in rom hacking the limits are pretty much only your imagination and your ability, there are many different ways to come to the same effect. So first what exactly do you mean by a soft cap, what exactly do you want it to do?

I'm not very learned myself in these subjects, but it would still help to better define what you're asking about.
    Both for you, and anyone else that may try to help.

But at the least I think what you're trying to do will require either asm, or disassembly.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    In the mean time, I'll leave this here, if you already know what you're doing with asm, you can probably edit it to make it work for you.

Alright, got the EXP disable working. Thank you very much.

I did try to locate it with a map file, but I couldn't find an offset that was even close to 0x8021A68. Perhaps I was looking at a wrong file or something. All I found for that location is this in my map file:
    Code:
                    0x08217818                gFont4JapaneseGlyphs
                    0x0821f818                gFont4JapaneseGlyphWidths

The atk23 file SHOULD have been in between that tho, so maybe I was using a wrong map file from a modified ROM file or something.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone else wondering on how to do it.

HOW TO DISABLE EXP ON "COMPLETE FIRE RED UPGRADE" HACKS (that changed the EXP formula from original Fire Red):

First, you need to find the pointer that corresponds for the EXP gaining formula (atk23_getexp) in the ROM hack that uses "Complete Fire Red Upgrade".

This spoiler showcases how you can locate the pointer in hacks other than Radical Red. If you just want to disable EXP for Radical Red 2.1, you can just skip this.
    Spoiler:

Anyway the pointer you will find for "atk23_getexp" in Radical Red 2.1 would be: 29 3A 47 09, located at 1436ED8

Now that you found the pointer to edit, fix it to the one that should correspond to the original Fire Red one : 69 1A 02 08

Only one thing left to edit. Changing the original Fire Red EXP formula to not give any EXP. Go to 21CFC and insert C0 46. That's it.

If everything was done correctly, your pokemon should simply skip the EXP gaining at the end of every opponent pokemon KO.

Big thanks to Anon822 for helping me figure it out.

Back