• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Choosing a starter makes the game crash.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2017
    Hey! I've been having this really weird issue where choosing a starter makes the game crash. I have no idea how to fix this and it's kinda annoying me. Another issue is that when i try to make a cutscene which starts when the player steps on a tile, it doesn't start at all. P.S I have it set on player touch.
    Crash Note:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Hey! I've been having this really weird issue where choosing a starter makes the game crash. I have no idea how to fix this and it's kinda annoying me. Another issue is that when i try to make a cutscene which starts when the player steps on a tile, it doesn't start at all. P.S I have it set on player touch.
    Crash Note:
    Spoiler:

The symbol (which starts with ':') should be the same as the Pokémon's Internal name (in pokemon.txt, charmander would be "InternalName=CHARMANDER"). Internal names by default are all capital and don't contain non-alphabetic characters (I think). You've put :Charmander, so try changing that into full capital letters, :CHARMANDER.
    Here is a screenshot from the Pokémon Essentials wikia where you can see how you can manipulate Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks! That was the problem . I wrote Charmander without writing it in all caps. Thanks again, but could you please help me with this event? Whenever the player steps on it, nothing happens.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Thanks! That was the problem . I wrote Charmander without writing it in all caps. Thanks again, but could you please help me with this event? Whenever the player steps on it, nothing happens.
    Sure, let me just do that without having seen the event in the first place...

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2017
    ok here
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Why are you turning "Self Switch A" ON? And you don't need the 1° "wait for move completition" since you didn't set a move route.
    Did you try "Event touch" trigger and see if it works. I can't help you more beyond this. But I lack to see why it's not working for you.

Also, if you forgot to post anything, EDIT your post instead of double/triple posting. It's on the bottom right corner of your post.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Ok. Now this is just messed up. It's acting really weirdly.When i try to playtest this happens...
    Spoiler:

P.S. I turned self switch A on by mistake . I was supposed to do a conditional branch where if you already fought him, he would do something. I don't remember what though

Line 99 in trainers.txt contains "RIVAL1" while it's looking for a Pokémon species (internal name). This is likely because for the trainer above it, you've said he has, for example, 3 Pokémon, but only defined 2. This is what that could look like:

#=================
    YOUNGSTER
    Tommy
    RATTATA,20
    BELDUM,5
    #==================
    As you can see, you say he has 3 Pokémon but you define only 2. This is likely your issue.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2017
    Yeah, I already found the problem but thanks anyway! Sorry for overloading you w/ requests btw xD

Back