• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Cancelled/Unfinished Dubs

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Last night, I was looking up Prince of Tennis and Zatch Bell on Wikipedia and was shocked to learn that these dubs were cancelled, and were never dubbed all the way through. It made me realize that there's a lot of dubs that never finished.

Are there any dubs you remember were cancelled/unfinished? There's actually... a lot I can think of. For example, Yu Gi Oh GX never got a dubbed season of the final arc/season, and neither did 5Ds. But, that's a common thing with 4kids, if I recall correctly. Happened with Tokyo Mew Mew/Mew Mew Power, too, but the situation with that one was Toei refused to let 4kids renew their liscence*. And Kodocha which apparently got cancelled halfway through, which that one I don't know why did, I remember reading something about that one being popular at the time.

Also, apparently Toriko never got a full dub, which shocks me. There's also a few anime that only dubbed the first season, like XXXHolic, Big Windup, and the original Higurashi.

*I need to find the source for this, so I'll edit this later if I find it.

Are there any English dubs you remember that were unfinished or cancelled? There's a lot, beleive me.

pkmin3033

Whilst it's not a series I am massively fond of, I was always a little peeved that Yu-Gi-Oh! GX's final season was never dubbed. Not only did it leave the anime in a very weird place, but...well, it wouldn't have killed them to finish it off. I was considerably more annoyed about 5Ds at the time, although I suppose they dubbed the seasons that are actually worth watching - the first two - so in hindsight it wasn't as bad.

I was worried for a while that there weren't going to finish dubbing Fate Grand Order because of the pandemic but thankfully that didn't happen. Because the only way to watch Fate is dubbed. Especially when Gilgamesh is in it.

The wait for Hellsing Ultimate 9 and 10, though...

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • For those who care... about a month or so ago I found out that Funimation will be doing a new english dub for Prince of Tennis. So even if it takes a couple of years it will eventually get a complete dub

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • For those who care... about a month or so ago I found out that Funimation will be doing a new english dub for Prince of Tennis. So even if it takes a couple of years it will eventually get a complete dub

I found the source for this claim, and wow, amazing. Awesome, then. I'm glad Prince of Tennis is coming back to America.

Whilst it's not a series I am massively fond of, I was always a little peeved that Yu-Gi-Oh! GX's final season was never dubbed. Not only did it leave the anime in a very weird place, but...well, it wouldn't have killed them to finish it off. I was considerably more annoyed about 5Ds at the time, although I suppose they dubbed the seasons that are actually worth watching - the first two - so in hindsight it wasn't as bad.

I was worried for a while that there weren't going to finish dubbing Fate Grand Order because of the pandemic but thankfully that didn't happen. Because the only way to watch Fate is dubbed. Especially when Gilgamesh is in it.

The wait for Hellsing Ultimate 9 and 10, though...

Hellsing Ultimate episodes 9 and 10 was dubbed back in 2014, actually.

Last edited:

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • The Yugioh GX & 5Ds unfinished dubs are so heartbreaking for me, glad they've finished the dub of all the gens since.

I can't think of any other examples tho, at least of shows I've seen.

I would actually be so happy if they randomly decided to dub & finish GX/5Ds nowadays, they have the voice cast back to do duel links voices already so I don't feel like it's impossible just so unlikely.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • The Yugioh GX & 5Ds unfinished dubs are so heartbreaking for me, glad they've finished the dub of all the gens since.

I can't think of any other examples tho, at least of shows I've seen.

I would actually be so happy if they randomly decided to dub & finish GX/5Ds nowadays, they have the voice cast back to do duel links voices already so I don't feel like it's impossible just so unlikely.

I wish they'd finish what is left of GX, but it definitely just seems unlikely these days since there's a Yu Gi Oh Sevens (which I'm not watching) dub in the works right now. 4kids is now known in the states as Konami Cross Media New York and they only deal with Yu Gi Oh and...Frogger? these days.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • GX particularly made me go and rewatch the whole series subbed just to get the final season haha. GX is my favourite gen.

It's such a pie in the sky dream, but I'd be elated if it ever was finished, 5Ds dub is admittedly not as big a deal I just feel like if they were to finish GX they might as well finish 5Ds too lol, in this completely imaginary scenario.

Back