• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Not Toxic enough.

Mecha-Scrafty

Gastrodon shall rule us all.
Years
  • Hey there! Thans for stoping by.
    I'm trying to build a poison Mono-type team, but things are not going to well.. My team is:

Nidoqueen @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Poison Point
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Dragon Tail
    - Super Fang

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Hex
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Sludge Wave

Tentacruel (F) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Liquid Ooze
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Ice Beam

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    - Flamethrower
    - Dark Pulse

Crobat (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - U-turn
    - Cross Poison
    - Sleep Talk

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Synthesis
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

There is not much strategy, i mainly go for the toxic spikes as priority, to take advantage of Gengar's Hex. Tentacruel to deal with entry-hazards and dragon types. Weezing as my phisical wall and to try damage steel types. Gengar to cut dangerous pokemons' attack stat and spam Hex. Venusaur is my wall, hope for a toxic from sludge bomb and get hp back, hidden power to do some damage to steel types. Finally, Crobat is last resorce and revenge killer, mainly to spam brave birds.

As yoou can see, its really weak to psychic and stuggles against steel. Mega Metagross have no trouble getting rid of at least half team... So can somebody give me a hand? Would a batton passer help? Better pokemon instead of..? Other move sets?

Thanks for your time.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If you are having a problem with Psychic then you need to run Drapion. Banded Drapion is a great Pursuit trapper (for the likes of Lati twins) or even a Scarfed Drapion to deal with the likes of Mega-Gardevoir (252 Atk Drapion Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 288-342 (103.9 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO).

In terms of the Nidos on Poison, I always have preferred King. It is better offensively and running a Scarf or Life Orb set will help at least dent walls so you can finish them off with Gengar/Drapion. However if you are keeping Nidoqueen, I would firstly run Roar over DTail (because Fairies) and remove TSpikes for Earth Power and Super Fang for Ice Beam or Thunderbolt, depending on your weakest area.

As cute as abusing Hex is, I would trade it in for the superior Shadow Ball on Gengar. As much as Hex + Burn/Toxic is a nice combo, why waste 2/3 turns setting it up when Shadow Ball could just kill instead? Also in those 2/3 the play will most likely be seen and you will be counterplayed, meaning nothing has happened apart from losing advantage. Now Gengar is versatile in that it can run an offensive set using LO/Scarf, or a more utility/support with Disable and Destiny Bond. Personally I would just run an offensive set using a Life Orb [OHKOs Megagross if you win the Speed tie] - thanks to Gengar's Speed and your Scarfed Drapion you will be able to hit hard whilst having flexibility.

Tentacruel with its bulky stats should be your support mon/hazards setter. Remove the AV and put in Toxic Spikes, Knock Off and Scald. These will cripple potential threats as well as remove Rocks which I feel put a dent in Poison monos because of the amount of switching you'll do.

Weezing's role is to tank alongside Tentacruel: Weezing for Physical, Tenta for Special. Will-o-Wisp is staple on Weezing, as is Pain Split. I like to run Clear Smog to help with the likes of Cloyster, Dragonite and Gyarados. Black Sludge is a good item to have, as is Rocky Helmet.

As Drapion will be taking an offensive slot in your team, I would use this to replace Crobat.

Venusaur can go on the offensive and this may be a good idea, however I would potentially change the set a little. As Venu is SO bulky, I would recommend a more defensive set, utilising Leech Seed and Earthquake. EQ helps MASSIVELY with the likes of Heatran who otherwise tanks (and outright walls) most of your team.

So maybe something along the lines of:

Spoiler:

I disagree with you about Hex not being usable. Despite Gengar's frailty, it can force switches nicely with its good defensive typing. Hex also allows Gengar to muscle past stall teams with ease as it can burn a switch-in, then hit it hard with Hex. In regards to the set you provided, what does Thunderbolt even hit in the first place aside from Gyarados? If you really must use a coverage attack on Gengar, use Focus Blast instead.

Mecha-Scrafty

Years
  • If you are having a problem with Psychic then you need to run Drapion. Banded Drapion is a great Pursuit trapper (for the likes of Lati twins) or even a Scarfed Drapion to deal with the likes of Mega-Gardevoir (252 Atk Drapion Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 288-342 (103.9 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO).

In terms of the Nidos on Poison, I always have preferred King. It is better offensively and running a Scarf or Life Orb set will help at least dent walls so you can finish them off with Gengar/Drapion. However if you are keeping Nidoqueen, I would firstly run Roar over DTail (because Fairies) and remove TSpikes for Earth Power and Super Fang for Ice Beam or Thunderbolt, depending on your weakest area.

As cute as abusing Hex is, I would trade it in for the superior Shadow Ball on Gengar. As much as Hex + Burn/Toxic is a nice combo, why waste 2/3 turns setting it up when Shadow Ball could just kill instead? Also in those 2/3 the play will most likely be seen and you will be counterplayed, meaning nothing has happened apart from losing advantage. Now Gengar is versatile in that it can run an offensive set using LO/Scarf, or a more utility/support with Disable and Destiny Bond. Personally I would just run an offensive set using a Life Orb [OHKOs Megagross if you win the Speed tie] - thanks to Gengar's Speed and your Scarfed Drapion you will be able to hit hard whilst having flexibility.

Tentacruel with its bulky stats should be your support mon/hazards setter. Remove the AV and put in Toxic Spikes, Knock Off and Scald. These will cripple potential threats as well as remove Rocks which I feel put a dent in Poison monos because of the amount of switching you'll do.

Weezing's role is to tank alongside Tentacruel: Weezing for Physical, Tenta for Special. Will-o-Wisp is staple on Weezing, as is Pain Split. I like to run Clear Smog to help with the likes of Cloyster, Dragonite and Gyarados. Black Sludge is a good item to have, as is Rocky Helmet.

As Drapion will be taking an offensive slot in your team, I would use this to replace Crobat.

Venusaur can go on the offensive and this may be a good idea, however I would potentially change the set a little. As Venu is SO bulky, I would recommend a more defensive set, utilising Leech Seed and Earthquake. EQ helps MASSIVELY with the likes of Heatran who otherwise tanks (and outright walls) most of your team.

So maybe something along the lines of:

Spoiler:

Wow. Its Awesome! Thanks a lot! Its already working xD

Mecha-Scrafty

Years
  • I disagree with you about Hex not being usable. Despite Gengar's frailty, it can force switches nicely with its good defensive typing. Hex also allows Gengar to muscle past stall teams with ease as it can burn a switch-in, then hit it hard with Hex. In regards to the set you provided, what does Thunderbolt even hit in the first place aside from Gyarados? If you really must use a coverage attack on Gengar, use Focus Blast instead.

Focus Blast? Ohhhhhh. i see where thats going!

Back