• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Multiple Save Files

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • I'm not sure why we don't have this yet. It's quite standard in nearly all games I've played these days. Anyone know/suspect why?

pkmin3033

I think it's more of a choice by design, rather than there being a technical limitation, at least these days. Originally it WOULD have been a technical limitation that kept the games to one save file in all likelihood, given the limited storage available on cartridges. But these days, plenty of games far bigger and more complicated than Pokemon games - which also have their save data stored on the cartridge rather than an external SD card or system memory, before anyone throws that at me - allow for multiple saves, so that excuse is well and truly out.

The cynical prick in me says it's because Nintendo wants you to buy more copies of the game to trade with other people. They approach business with the mindset of a toymaker, not an electronics developer, and you don't share your toys with other people, do you? If you want the same toy, you have to go out and buy your own. One of the cornerstones of Pokemon has always been trading as well, and having multiple save files goes a long way towards defeating that point.

But I suspect that stopping you from trading with yourself and hoarding rare items/Pokemon etc. is something to do with it, or was the reason for it being kept as a thing when it was technically possible to have multiple save files. After all, it'd severely de-value your Legendaries and Master Balls etc. if you could obtain multiple copies within the same game, wouldn't it? This would have made sense back in the day of the third generation, when online trading wasn't a thing. Now? Well, Nintendo are nothing if not married to antiquated tradition. That's...literally the only reason I can think of.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • i've wanted this for a while and wondered why they've never actually gone ahead with this. since challenges are now a thing and there are sooo many of them, it would be great to have the option to have multiple save files alongside your main save where you can store the majority of your pokemon. though, from a marketing perspective i guess it's a means so that you will pick up the other copy of the game if you want to replay through or make another team etc.

Years
  • This seriously frustrates me, like everyone has said, it's almost definitely not a technical limitation and therefore it's probably something to do with marketing. But even considering that, I still don't understand it, nearly every game has multiple save files and it doesn't affect the sales of the games, which I'm sure it wouldn't do with Pokemon either. It's not so much of a problem nowadays as I have all my Pokemon on one game so I can replay the older titles, but when the day comes that I want to replay Moon, it's gonna be an issue.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I mainly think its to make your journey more like a real journey.

Pokémon is known to be one of the most bonding games out there, they are so big on the ideas of friendship, loyalty, comradeship, etc that simply offering multiple save files for a game that's huge on the one-on-one bonds just doesn't add up.
    Having multiple save files can make the player select the different starters, go on split-journeys instead of focusing on one, making the whole personalized experience not so personalized. Also, the multiple save files can make players expect what's going to happen, allowing them to "test out the waters", instead of having the initial shock & dealing head-on with the current situation at hand (think of it as knowing all the spoilers of the game then playing it, it's not as fun).
    Like yes, restarting your game is also ironic to the whole "one-on-one" journey experience since you're basically "throwing it away" but at least you're starting up a whole new journey from square one, not half way if that makes any sense.

Back