• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon D&D

Years
So, im developing something and im doing a quick interest check:
Who would be interested in participating in a Pokemon-based D&D campaign? It would be light, with not too complicated systems. It will be explained more upon initiation, but is designed to not require a large commitment and be a fun thing to do with friends. DM me at InsaneBlothers#1982 if you're interested and I can give you an invite to my server.
In fact, more info for you:
This will be (at least for the first portion), a Kanto adventure, with some tweaks to make it feel more like D&D, such as locations being scaled up to a realistic level much like in the anime. Routes and subareas may take up to a day or more to traverse. Races, classes, backgrounds and even abilities have been done away with, though some things will still require dice checks. Pokemon will work very similarly to the games and battles will normally involve the whole party, or 2 or 3, depending on if people are split up or not. Sessions will be held on saturday evenings for the most part, though dates may change. The plot will mostly involve Team Rocket (for the earlier stages of the campaign, at least), and much like a DnD campaign, will start with smaller inconsequential quests, finding a lost pokemon, beating a gauntlet of trainers, etc. with more plot leaning stuff like getting rid of team rocket sprinkled in. Eventually things will naturally get more intense, with new big bads, and i even plan on exploring outside the region, but more on that later. As for the general premise of the first sessions, it will begin as a more traditional badge quest, then expand as the journey continues. I'm gonna put in a ton of side quests and adventures that can net you cool stuff, and most of the content (of side quests at least) will be based on the games, anime and manga.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I do have some interest but do you have any material on the system or an example of how some of the more common features would play out?

Like say, battling or capturing a Pokémon.

Because you say those things should work fairly similarly to the main games but unless you're using a calc and generating / keeping tabs on a lot of things like IVs and EVs and Personality Values a lot of things will have to be different.

Years
I do have some interest but do you have any material on the system or an example of how some of the more common features would play out?

Like say, battling or capturing a Pokémon.

Because you say those things should work fairly similarly to the main games but unless you're using a calc and generating / keeping tabs on a lot of things like IVs and EVs and Personality Values a lot of things will have to be different.

IVs and EVs will be done away with, in fact most stats will. However, personalities and abilities will be kept, along with a leveling system that as of right now caps at level 75. There will also be trainer levels that you gain "trainer experience" for in battles. Higher trainer levels will garner respect and make it more likely that you will win in persuasion checks and get higher ranks if you join an evil/benevolent team. Contest stats will only be put into play if the campaign progresses enough for us to get to Hoenn, due to there being no contest system in Kanto and Johto. If you want elaboration on anything else, just let me know :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Have you considered using Pokemon Tabletop United or its sister system?

Back