• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag - Literally the best thing to come out of the franchise

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Sword Art Online is bad. Pretty, pretty damn bad. It's one of the dime a dozen Light Novels written by someone who just wanted to make a book about cute girls and action (I mean, can you blame him?) but without having the skill to actually, well, write, and hoped for fame through an anime adaptation. For context, watch Girlish Number, it's pretty hilariously spot on about this sort of thing and how common it is, especially nowadays.

Anyways, SAO doesn't necessarily lend itself to being bad when transferred to other media, though. As an anime, it's slightly better thanks only to the fact that A-1 hires writers that know how to spruce up a mess- not to say that it's really made all that much better for it. As a game, however, it becomes a piece of unmolded clay. I, personally, have actually been keeping a pretty close eye on SAO's games since the moment the first one, Infinity Moment, was announced for the PSP. Reason being, as a game, I believe that the only reason a SAO game should be bad is because the resulting product is a corporate cash-in that banks on making a game that's modular to the point of being built onto and sequeled through small iterative changes over years rather than making a title that can stand on its own merits and be representative of something that the company wants the product should be seen as and known for.

Which was basically inevitable considering it's published by Bandai Namco. I mean, Dragon Ball Fusions was great, but other than that it's pretty hard to pin down the last time they've made a game that I'd call quality or a sequel I'd call substantial. It's hard being an anime fan.

Well, until they published a little game called Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag.

Over the past couple of days I've been trying out various ARPG MMOs, it's something I do once or twice every year to see if something for me's finally risen from the woodwork. After re/trying TERA, Blade & Soul, Riders of Icarus, Revelation Online, and various others, I came to the very real conclusion that there just isn't anything out there that excels at being an ARPG and an MMO, either due to faulty design, an ineffectual sense of feedback, lack of maneuverability, etc., or all the above. So then, I remembered that I'd downloaded a SAO title that'd been released a little while ago. Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag. I'd seen mention of it on a few sites so I decided to get my hopes up and give it a try.

And...I was shocked.

Sword_Art_Online_Memory_Defrag_604x423.jpg

Now, as someone who's only selectively interested in the designs of SAO characters and is interested, as far as their personalities go, in basically none of them, this game seems like an odd pick since it's basically a game where you scout characters from Sword Art Online (using the game currency or by using real money to get the game currency) and then go play through the story of SAO via Kirito's memories (hence the name).

But what makes this game truly interesting is that it's an Action RPG in truest sense. If you've played The World Ends With You (which you all should, fantastic game), movement's pretty familiar. Just click on the character you're using and swipe in a certain direction to move them. Attacking enemies is as simple as tapping them, but here's where the game gets interesting. Have you ever been parried and visceraled/stabbed in the Souls Series? That'll basically be your defense mechanic here. When blocking (which is done simply by holding an empty spot on the screen) and swiping up at the right moment, the character will deflect their attack and the enemy will be susceptible for critical damage, a perfect time to Switch or use a Sword Art. Apart from being satisfying as hell, this makes it so that the player doesn't have to take damage if they're capable, which is something that I absolutely adore the Souls- or any ARPG with a solid damage evasion mechanic- for. But as a free to play, it's something of an oddity because if damage can't be guaranteed or based on RNG, the player won't feel obligated to use the cash shop- after all, unlike various other games there's timer that refills until you can go into another battle, and there's nothing in the game that's exclusive to real world money usage.

This is pretty important because this basically means that even the value of the in-game currency lowers the more confident you are in your abilities. And if you're not using the currency for stats, you'll be using it for variance. If you're up against skeletons, slashing attacks don't do much, so you'll want to bring in someone with a blunt weapon or magic. Not that you can't succeed otherwise, but it will certainly make things easier. There are various other uses for it as well, but the point I'm trying to make here is that the game's flow is dynamic to the point that it makes the game a black sheep grazing among white wools. And, should you challenge yourself with levels on par or higher than your team (especially if you choose solo-play), the game can be pretty tense and exciting, especially when said challenge happens to be against a boss with its own unique attack pattern.

This Free to Play

Spoiler:

I've prattled on long enough, but that this game feels better than most Action RPGs I've played is actually pretty disheartening, and comparing it to the other SAO titles is even moreso (well, reverse those). Personally, if you like ARPGs then I say you should give this game a try- this coming from the guy who doesn't exactly delve into the mobile pool too often. But if I just wanted to recommend this game, I would've just plopped it right in the Mobile Games thread, but that's not what this is about, really. It's about how a Free-to-Play that basically came out of nowhere managed to outshine an entire franchise filled with mostly hollow (heh) gameplay and characters simply by (perhaps unintentionally) subverting various Free-to-Play Mobile design philosophies and making a competent, better than average ARPG. For mobile.

So, with that huge-arse spiel out of the way, is anyone else playing this? Or have any thoughts about the game franchise or genre in question?

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
    Years
  • Memory Defrag is definitely the best mobile RPG of it's kind. Unlike other games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper, there's no stamina meter, allowing binge-playing. Though the parry mechanic can often be misleading and tricky to pull off- more often than not I just sidestepped an attack. It's definitely overlooked too much.

Though you give SAO too much criticism- the original concept was good and paid off, even if the plot didn't make sense sometimes. It's meant to appeal to gamers, not to be a masterpiece. But I digress.

Feel like gathering equipment is a bit dull though- you're forced to use the premium currency to pull equipment, unless you get lucky with an event.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Though you give SAO too much criticism- the original concept was good and paid off, even if the plot didn't make sense sometimes. It's meant to appeal to gamers, not to be a masterpiece. But I digress.
    I was a fan at a time, to the point that it was one of my favorite anime. But while for some the drop off point was the second half of the first season, for me it was when it started breaking its own rules and then realizing how boring the characters and bad the writing was in retrospect.

I will say, though, that it had some nice designs from time to time.

Feel like gathering equipment is a bit dull though- you're forced to use the premium currency to pull equipment, unless you get lucky with an event.
    Yeah, though I haven't had too much trouble with that myself. There's quite a bit of story content and I tend to go back to the Hard Modes since I enjoy them, which is about 5 crystals per. Couple that with dailies and extra quests and you can muster up quite a few weapons with relative ease.

That said, haven't gotten myself any 4 star weps yet, which is bad because I'm super form over function and won't really use characters that I'm not interested in or feel too samey. I'm probably insane for using a 2 star Asuna over Hentai-face 3 star Asuna or "Didn't do nothin wrong yet" 1-star Kirito over his free 3/4 star aloof 'n edgey counterparts, but it makes things incredibly satisfying when they do actually put out solid numbers damage-wise.

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
    Years
  • I was a fan at a time, to the point that it was one of my favorite anime. But while for some the drop off point was the second half of the first season, for me it was when it started breaking its own rules and then realizing how boring the characters and bad the writing was in retrospect.

I will say, though, that it had some nice designs from time to time.

Yeah, though I haven't had too much trouble with that myself. There's quite a bit of story content and I tend to go back to the Hard Modes since I enjoy them, which is about 5 crystals per. Couple that with dailies and extra quests and you can muster up quite a few weapons with relative ease.

That said, haven't gotten myself any 4 star weps yet, which is bad because I'm super form over function and won't really use characters that I'm not interested in or feel too samey. I'm probably insane for using a 2 star Asuna over Hentai-face 3 star Asuna or "Didn't do nothin wrong yet" 1-star Kirito over his free 3/4 star aloof 'n edgey counterparts, but it makes things incredibly satisfying when they do actually put out solid numbers damage-wise.

I know that feel. I prefer Red XIII in FF Record Keeper over any better character in the game, myself. I wish getting the Dual-Wield and Scout-featured characters was easier, though- they're only about 0.4-ish percent chances for characters with a 'rate boost'.

Yukari

I dunno... I still think the abridged anime is better. c;

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
    Years
  • I downloaded this game and I haven't had a chance to fire it up. I remember enjoying the first arc of the anime and liking the second one a bit less. Season 2 bored me, though. Is this game really that good?

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
    Years
  • It's good, but the events are tiresome and a bit repetitive. You can binge-grind to level 80 in a few days if you want to put in effort, but otherwise it's kind of repetitive, since you play with pre-built characters.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I dunno... I still think the abridged anime is better. c;

The abridged version is hilarious lol. I think SAO would have been way better if it ended on episode 15 and did not include the second arc. I never watched season 2 as a result.

minor spoiler
    Spoiler:

I think ill download this and try it out. Im preoccupied with FE: Heroes at the moment, but it has stamina, so the SAO mobile game should give a good break.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2017
    Hmm I hadn't seen much gameplay footage of this, thanks! I'm going to download it right now and give it a go :D

Back