• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alice In Wonderland Modern day Adaptation Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years
  • Hello fine people.
    I have mentioned a couple of times on here that I am a script writer, and from this have had a couple of people ask me more about it. So I thought I'd put up one scene from the latest play I've been writing. I have wrote basically the entire story, but am still in the process of editing and changing bits I'm not happy with, this is the only scene that I am completely happy with so far.
    However it hasn't been fully spell checked, so apologies for any typos you may find :lol

Hope you enjoy it, and if you do have time to read it, I would love to know what you think ^_^

Alice
    (An adaptation of 'Alice In Wonderland' written by James Ramon-Baker, this script is copyrighted to James Ramon-Baker.

The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

(Alice walks through the door of a 'Starbucks', there are many tables, all of which are unoccupied, behind the counter is The Cheshire cat who is leaning against a wall filing her nails, the only other figure we see is sat at the end of the shop, sat on his own behind a table drinking tea, with his face covered by a newspaper. Alice walks over to the counter and attempts to get the Cheshire Cats attention)

Alice:
    Hello?

(She Is ignored)

Alice:
    Uuuuum, excuse me, you have a customer
    I'll have a large coffee please
    …Hello?!

(The figure at the end of the shop lowers his paper and The Mad Hatter is revealed, he is ruggedly good looking wears black skinny jeans and black pointy shoes, a white shirt tucked into his jeans, a red and black neckerchief, a lip ring, and both his ears pierced, his hair is black with a blonde streak cut short and quite punk)

Hatter:
    Excuse me young lady but why are you telling her that you want a coffee?

Alice:
    Well…doesn't she work here?

Hatter:
    Of course she works here, why would she be stood behind the
    counter if she didn't?

Alice:
    Well then why won't she serve me?

Hatter:
    She's on break

Alice:
    Well then why is there no one else behind the counter?

Hatter:
    Because no one else works here

Alice:
    Well if no one else works here it seems rather silly for her to be on break

Hatter:
    Everyone is entitled to a break

Alice:
    Well how much longer is she going to be on break?

Hatter:
    An hour or so

Alice:
    That seems an awfully long time to be on a break

Hatter:
    What can I say, I treat my staff well

Alice:
    Oh are you the manager?

Hatter:
    Catch on quickly don't we

Alice:
    Well then, could you serve me?

Hatter:
    I'm on break

Alice:
    Right…and how long will you be on break for?

Hatter:
    3 hours or so

Alice:
    3 Hours?!

Hatter:
    I treat my staff well, I treat myself better.

Alice:
    What is your name?

Hatter:
    What my name is, is not important, I believe that to be on first name terms is only useful if you plan on becoming personal with the subject in question, and as you will mostly likely never meet me again, to know my name would suggest some sort of relationship development, you don't know me, I hardly know myself, discovery over time is all we can hope for

Alice:
    I see…but how do I refer to you?

Hatter:
    Why on earth would you want to refer to me?

Alice:
    Well if I wanted to address you specifically, I would need a word of some description which would alert your attention and make it clear it is to you whom I am directing the subject of my speech

Hatter:
    But it is only you and I here, so should you construct a sentence which would require me to respond, such as a question, it would only be sensible to assume that it is me you are talking to

Alice:
    But say for instance my question was rhetorical, but you 'assumed' it to be one to which I requested an answer

Hatter:
    I consider it an insult that you should think I would not possess the intellect to defer the difference between a question which is rhetorical, and one which is not

Alice:
    Uuuuuum, ok

Hatter:
    However since you have shown an admirable but admittedly slightly frustrating amount of persistence, you may refer to me by the name I seem to have acquired by others

Alice:
    Which is?

Hatter:
    Hatter

Alice:
    Hatter?

Hatter:
    Did I stutter?

Alice:
    No, but nicknames usually come from a basis of truth, and to have acquired the nickname of 'Hatter' would assume the idea that you regularly wear a hat, which you are not

Hatter:
    Nonsense, you have a father I assume?

Alice:
    Everybody has a father

Hatter:
    Exactly, and are you close to yours?

Alice:
    As a child I was yes

Hatter:
    And did your father call you by a particular nickname, such as 'sweetheart' or 'darling'?

Alice:
    He used to call me 'Pumpkin'

Hatter:
    And do you resemble a Pumpkin?

Alice:
    …No?

Hatter:
    And do you have a fondness towards Pumpkins?

Alice:
    No

Hatter:
    Or perhaps there is a humorous story from your past which concerns both you and a pumpkin?

Alice:
    No…

Hatter:
    there is no connection between pumpkins and yourself?

Alice:
    No

Hatter:
    Then why did he call you pumpkin?

Alice:
    I don't know, it's just a word used by some fathers when referring to their daughters

Hatter:
    Why?

Alice:
    Well I'm sure I don't know, it's just a name

Hatter:
    Then why does my having accumulated the name of 'Hatter' require me to have a tendency towards hats?

Alice:
    Well…I suppose it doesn't, but surely it must have been given to you by someone for some sort of reason, who first called you hatter?

Hatter:
    I haven't the faintest idea, nor do I lose sleep over the question. To ponder such riduciulous notions would be a complete waste of time and thinking, which would be better spent in a host of more useful and entertaining ways

Alice:
    …Fair enough

Hatter:
    Agreement is such a fine moment, 9 out of 10 times it results in the end of a conversation or event, and 9 times out of 10 that is because the conversation or event was of little or no use, this is one of those times

Alice:
    Well sort to have been a nuisance

Hatter:
    You are forgiven, which brings me to a new conversation which will be of much better use; What is your purpose here?

Alice:
    I wanted a coffee…

Hatter:
    Well why didn't you tell me

Hatter stands and walks behind the counter where he prepares a cup of coffee for Alice, and another cup of tea for himself, he also fills up a bowl with milk and places it on the floor where the Cheshire Cat kneels down and begins to drink

Alice:
    But I did say so!

Hatter:
    You did not

Alice:
    I did, I walked in here, walked up to the counter, and asked that girl for a cup of coffee

Hatter:
    Asking her for a coffee, and telling me you want one are two completely different things young lady

Alice:
    But you knew I wanted one!

Hatter:
    I've just given you one…

Alice:
    Well yes but….oh never mind.

Hatter:
    Women…

------------------------------------------------------------

Caterpillars House

Alice walks through the open front door of a house. The house is clearly that of someone with money, and a love of pleasure and sloth. there is an enourmous lounge, large flat screen TV a couple of lazy boy chairs, both with small refrigirators right next to them, various bean bags all around the room. It is messy with empty bags of crips, chocolate wrappers, empty bottles and various remainders of food scattered around the room. There are people in the room including the Cheshire Cat, all lounging around in various comfy positions, and smoking roll up cigarettes which they are passing around the room. In the centre sitting on a 'lazy boy' chair with his feet up on a table is a man with long blonde/dark hair, facial hair, good looks. A brown fitted shirt, and white jeans with caterpillar shaped slippers, and lots of bracelets and necklaces. Alice stands there for about a minute and no one speaks, or even adknowledges that she has entered the room

Alice:
    Hello

She is ignored

Alice:
    Hello...?

One of the people in the room sitting on a spinning chair begins spinning round on the chair, going round and round for about a minute before stopping, laughing to himself and then returning to his previous position

Alice:
    Well that was random...

Caterpillar:
    Why do you say that?

Alice: (Startled)
    Oh, uuuum hello

Caterpillar:
    Why do you say that

Alice:
    Say what?

Caterpillar:
    Why do you say that my friend's most recent action was 'random'?

Alice:
    Well...it sort of came out of nowhere

Caterpillar:
    So do most actions

Alice:
    Yes but they usually have motive

Caterpillar:
    Motive or not, you agree that they come out of, 'nowhere' as you put it

Alice:
    I'm not sure I understand

Caterpillar:
    Action comes from a lot more then motive my dear. There are a great number of steps that pre-determine it. For example, the human brain is constantly at thought, it is impossible to think about nothing, because even if you were thinking about nothing, you are still thinking about something. And these thoughts trigger other thoughts that are linked together, even if very slightly, these thought effect every day actions, a thought is made, it links to 10,000 others before an idea is created. This is followed by the question of wether or not to act upon the action, followed by the decicion, followed by the act of the action itself. Therefore no action is 'random', it is reached through an infine number of pre-decicions, and once made has fulfilled the desire.

The surrounding people murmur in agreement

Understand?

Alice:
    To try and understand a proposition such as that would take more patience and will to understand it then I posess

Caterpillar:
    See, you do understand.

Alice:
    I'm sorry to just burst into your house unannounced like this

Caterpillar:
    Persoanlly I would find it most dull to apologise for actions I have not taken

Alice:
    ...But I did take the action...

Caterpillar:
    What action?

Alice:
    The action of bursting into your house unannounced like this

Caterpillar:
    What a strange girl you are, you haven't burst at all...

The surrounding people murmur in agreement

Alice:
    It's an expression...

Caterpillar:
    So is ''The early Bird catches The Worm'' but I don't put it in front of any old sentence

Alice:
    ...Ok, well I'm sorry to walk into your house unannounced

Caterpillar:
    Another expression which makes the larger part of no sense to me...

Alice:
    What is?

Caterpillar:
    Well your apology imples that it would have been ok for you to walk into my house, if you had been announced, which is obviously completely nonsensical, less then 10% of the population have suitors with the sole job of ''Announcing'' people into other peoples houses, so why is the expression is such a common one? Why, even if I was one of those very few people who had a suitor with the sole job of announcing people into my house, I should give him 365 days a year holiday, explaining to him that the job I have hired him for is completely ridiculous and an utter waste of time, and that he should make his career choices more sensibly in the future

The surrounding people all murmur in agreement.

Alice:
    What's your name? If I might ask?

Caterpillar:
    So now your asking permission do something you have already done?

Alice:
    Uuuum

Caterpillar:
    Forget it, I'll never understand people like you. My name is Caterpillar

Alice: ….
    Why Caterpillar?

Caterpillar:
    What is your name?

Alice:
    Alice

Caterpillar:
    Why Alice?

Alice:
    ...It's just my name

Caterpillar:
    And I'm sure you don't question it do you?

Alice:
    No

Caterpillar:
    There you go then

Alice:
    I guess, but Caterpillar is such a strange name to be given by a mother and father

Caterpillar:
    Well of course it isn't my real name, it's the name I go by

Alice:
    So it's a nickname

Caterpillar:
    Well of course

Alice:
    Do you have a particular fondness towards caterpillars

Caterpillar:
    I do yes

Alice:
    I recently spoke to a man who believed that going by a nickname just because it is something you have a fondness or attatchment to was ridiculous

Caterpillar:
    And quite right he was.

Alice:
    Well if you agree, why have you done just that?

Caterpillar:
    I did not say the reason I have aquired the nickname was because I have a tendancy towards caterpillars, I said that the name by which I am commonly refered was 'Caterpillar' and that I have a tendancy towards Caterpillars, at no point did I say that the two facts were related in any way, in fact I can't think of two statements where the meanings behind them are more different, the only similarity they hold is that they both contain the words 'I' and 'Caterpillar'

Alice:
    Then what IS the reason you by the name 'Caterpillar'?

Caterpillar:
    Because I like it, what reason more should I need then that? Now if we are finished with the origins of my name, you need not apologise.

Alice:
    Apologise for what?

Caterpillar:
    Previously, you uttered an absurd notion about 'bursting into my home unnanounced', and since we are done with altering your sentence so that it makes the slightest amount of what one would call 'sense', it still proves to show the larger part of no sense.

Alice:
    Why?

Caterpillar:
    Because the sentence would now read ''I'm sorry for walking into your house''

Alice:
    And why does that make no sense?

Caterpillar:
    Because it isn't my house

Alice:
    Oh...who'se house is it?

Caterpillar:
    His (He points towards another man sat on the other 'lazy boy chair'

Alice:
    Oh well, I'm sorry for walking into your house

David:
    It's cool

Alice:
    It's no problem?

David:
    Why would it be a problem?

Caterpillar:
    Well said David

David:
    The only reason it would be a problem would be...well, I can barely think of a reason, perhaps if the room was largely smaller, and by you walking into it was creating an atmosphere of extreme claustrophobia, and we had no room to move

Michael:
    And as you can assumidly see, that isn't true by the smallest of accounts

Paul:
    Or perhaps it would be a problem if one of us here had a particular desire to keep the amount of people in the room at an odd number, and you entering had effected that

Michael:
    Would you call 5 an odd number then Paul?

Paul:
    Not at all, it's quite a common number, in fact I personally find it a great deal more regular then many of the other numbers

Caterpillar:
    I agree, and even if it were an odd number, Im sure no one here had wished to keep the amount of persons to an odd number, am I right?

David:
    Not me

Paul:
    No I'm quite happy with 6

Michael:
    Works for me

Cheshire Cat:
    Can I have some crisps David?

David:
    Sure thing man

Caterpillar:
    That's settled then.

Alice:
    But the Cheshire Cat didn't answer..

Caterpillar:
    Of course he did, he said ''Can I have some crisps David''

Alice:
    Which wasn't an answer that went with the question

Caterpillar:
    You certaintly have a lot to learn Alice, when you make a decicion to take an action, do you wait for someone to say ''Don't do that'' beforehand just incase?

Alice:
    No

Caterpillar:
    Of course you don't, you merely assume that your action isn't going to disrupt anyone, and if it is going to, then surely you would have made the decicion to take the action in the first place?

Alice:
    I suppose

Caterpillar:
    And since The Cheshire Cat hasn't made himself heard to a tune that would suggest he DID want to keep the number of people in the room to what some may call an 'odd' number, surely it would be safe to assume he doesn't mind? He brushed away the question quite carelessly when he asked for some crisps.

Alice:
    ...Right

Caterpillar:
    So since we are on the topic, Why have you walked into David's home?

Paul:
    Where we on that topic Caterpillar?

Caterpillar:
    Of course, I just brought it up didn't I?

Paul:
    Oh yeah, my bad

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2023
    Well done on such a great script. where can I read the full version please? I am looking for an Alice in Wonderland contmeporary script for my drama class. Many thanks

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back