• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 1 team.

thia12

Eternity Mapper
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    Basically i need some help with a generation 1 team im making to battle vs my friend only.

We've chosen to both use our starters in the team.​

2nd, 3rd, 4th evos from 1st gen allowed

[DONT MIND THE ORDER, NOT FINISHED]

Alkazam [SpA Sweeper]
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Life Orb

- Psychic
    - Grass Knot
    - Taunt
    - Focus Blast

Charizard [Mixed Sweeper]
    EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
    Life Orb

- Overheat/Flamethrower/Heat Wave (?)
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Tail
    - Roost

Dragonite [Mixed Sweeper]
    EVs: 116 Atk / 192 SpA / 200 Spe
    Life Orb

- Superpower
    - Draco Meteor
    - Overheat/Flamethrower/Heat Wave (?)
    - Thunderbolt/Thunder (?)

Blissey [Healer]
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Leftovers

- Softboiled
    - Aromatherapy
    - Seismic toss
    - Ice Beam

Now i need some help/suggestions for the rest and if the top ones can be improved :)

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • You forgot natures, though they can probably be figured out from the sets you're using.

The rules require that you have a full team before posting a rate-my-team thread, so I'll have to ask you to edit some quick choices, otherwise we can't really rate anything, and it's not the purpose of this forum to build a team for you.

I will say that Charizard has no place on a standard team due to Stealth Rock/ inferior Heatran/Infernape, but I understand that the whole gen one theme limits your choices. This is going to make it rather difficult for you to construct a quality team, but honestly anything is going to work better than zard :x

Speaking of Stealth Rock, you need something on your team that can set it up.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hmm, this is an interesting theme of a team. The limited number of Pokemon will definitely give some UU Pokemon a chance to shine.

Definitely get an Aerodactyl and use it as a lead. Aerodactyl is pretty much the best lead for this team, especially since other leads like Jirachi and Metagross can't be used.

Aerodactyl @Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt

Pair Blissey with a Weezing to stop physical attackers like Machamp, Gyarados, and Snorlax.

Weezing @Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

-Thunderbolt
    -Haze
    -Pain Split
    -Will-o-wisp

Problem is, this would make your team pretty weak to Rock (and Stealth Rock). You can definitely replace Dragonite or Charizard (if using a starter isn't mandatory).

Replace either one with Starmie, to help you remove Stealth Rocks from the field so Dragonite/Charizard can sweep easier. It also gives you a really versatile Special sweeper.

Starmie @Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin

If you choose to use Charizard, its set definitely needs to be changed. I mean, seriously, Iron Tail? WTF?

Charizard @Life Orb
    Rash/Mild Nature

-Fire Blast
    -Focus Punch/Brick Break
    -Hidden Power Electric
    -Roost/Air Slash

Also, if you keep Charizard, you will be majorly Electric weak so use Jolteon over Alakazam.

Jolteon @Life Orb
    Timid Nature

-Thunderbolt
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Signal Beam/Charge Beam

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

thia12

Eternity Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    You forgot natures, though they can probably be figured out from the sets you're using.

The rules require that you have a full team before posting a rate-my-team thread, so I'll have to ask you to edit some quick choices, otherwise we can't really rate anything, and it's not the purpose of this forum to build a team for you.

I will say that Charizard has no place on a standard team due to Stealth Rock/ inferior Heatran/Infernape, but I understand that the whole gen one theme limits your choices. This is going to make it rather difficult for you to construct a quality team, but honestly anything is going to work better than zard :x

Speaking of Stealth Rock, you need something on your team that can set it up.

Okay, sorry about the natures, will edit it in rigth after this post :)

Regarding the Charizard issue, which starter would you prefer? since im required to use one.

Hmm, this is an interesting theme of a team. The limited number of Pokemon will definitely give some UU Pokemon a chance to shine.

Definitely get an Aerodactyl and use it as a lead. Aerodactyl is pretty much the best lead for this team, especially since other leads like Jirachi and Metagross can't be used.

Aerodactyl @Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt

Pair Blissey with a Weezing to stop physical attackers like Machamp, Gyarados, and Snorlax.

Weezing @Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

-Thunderbolt
    -Haze
    -Pain Split
    -Will-o-wisp

Problem is, this would make your team pretty weak to Rock (and Stealth Rock). You can definitely replace Dragonite or Charizard (if using a starter isn't mandatory).

Replace either one with Starmie, to help you remove Stealth Rocks from the field so Dragonite/Charizard can sweep easier. It also gives you a really versatile Special sweeper.

Starmie @Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure

-Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin

If you choose to use Charizard, its set definitely needs to be changed. I mean, seriously, Iron Tail? WTF?

Charizard @Life Orb
    Rash/Mild Nature

-Fire Blast
    -Focus Punch/Brick Break
    -Hidden Power Electric
    -Roost/Air Slash

Also, if you keep Charizard, you will be majorly Electric weak so use Jolteon over Alakazam.

Jolteon @Life Orb
    Timid Nature

-Thunderbolt
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Signal Beam/Charge Beam

I already thougth about the Starmie and Aero, but wasnt tottaly sure, so thanks for that :)

You point about a weezing was actually a really good idea and are probably gonna use it. Thanks for that!

I'll have a look at the Charizard, and the reason why i chose Iron tail was due to Charizards huge weekness of Rock moves.

-------------------

This thread can be closed now, appreciate the help!​

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Sadly, while that seems a great idea, most Rock pokemon, particularly in Gen I (except Aerodactyl, but hey, he's frail and Brick Break can take him down), have really high defences. Charizard's a better special attacker than physical one, and although neither side of the spectrum is bad, Iron Tail lacks power. And accuracy. You'll get KO'd either doing a bit of damage, or none at all.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    why grass knot on AK?
    Maybe Nidoking? get some diversity so you can surprise your enemies and maybe machamp and i say that because machamp is easily a one hit KO pokemon and hes pretty fast. hes great for taking down HP DEF giants like Snorlax Aggron, Gentle giants
    Its hard since your looking for first Gen

Back