• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Pokemon RBY Prequel Features

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Hey guys, I hope those of you who know of my hack (Crystal Ultimate; documentation at the end) are enjoying it. I have plans to start an RBY prequel once Ultimate is done and would like to know which features you'd like to see in the game. The game will use Crystal as a base and will have an ambitious story, inspired from canonical sources as much as possible. What I'm struggling with is deciding which modern/new features to include, since I don't want the setting of the game to be in sharp contrast with features that are too modern for a gen 0 story. I will list below which features I am considering and would love to hear your thoughts on how these would fit into a prequel story (feel free to discuss features not on this list as well; NOTE that I will only be including the first 150-151 Pokemon):

1. Dark, Steel and Fairy types, whether it be for moves, Pokemon, or both; if you don't want these included, what should I change for rebalancing purposes (e.g. type matchup changes, more moves of a certain type)?

2. Pokemon typings; should Magnemite be Electric or Electric/Steel? Clefable Fairy-type? What about new typings (similar to Ultimate) such as Gyarados being pure dragon or Blastoise being Water/Steel?

3. Spruced up environments (e.g. touching up graphics a bit, adding dynamic weather effects, etc)

4. Should I redesign moves like I did in Ultimate? Aka keep the same gen 2 (or perhaps you only want gen 1) moves, but give new effects/more power/accuracy to less useful moves? Should I add new moves?

5. Would you like base stat rebalancing, similar to Ultimate?

6. Should there be a physical/special split?

7. Do you prefer the old-school caps lock style for Pokemon names and terms in gen 2? Or would you rather have lower case letters?

8. Should shinies exist? If so, should I have the higher rate from Ultimate (1/256)? Should it be lower? Like in the OG games?

9. Are there gen 2 features that come to mind that you would like to stay or be removed? For example daily/weeklies, there being night, or upgrades like the night music themes from Ultimate or adding evening as a time of day

Thank you for taking the time to discuss/help me with my next hack! Here is a link to the documentation for Ultimate, in case you're interested or just to help answer some of the discussion questions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VnC8wWP8CjpresyAZV_YlFcY8oWutHZeUr-RQj8lyCI/edit?usp=sharing

MA

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • Excellent timing with this post MA. I have a lot of ideas for a rom hack but, lack the hacking/coding ability to implement them. I would like to collaborate with you. I like that you're keeping the pokedex small, that way you can give the love and attention to each mon but, what about expanding the original 150-151 to also include the modern evolutionary chains i.e. Elekid > Electabuzz > Electivire (however no Alolan or Galar forms or any other gimmicks like mega, z moves, or dynamax - keep it pre gen six) and to re number and place them in the pokedex - i.e Electabuzz is #125 in the original pokedex, make Elekid #124 and Electivire (should be electric/fighting with the galvanize ability and or have the motor drive/volt absorb (abilities) plasma fists (move) combo) #126. Eevee should evolve into Leafeon via leaf stone, Glaceon via ice stone and since pokemon-amie isn't a mechanic in this gen you could have Eevee evolve into Sylveon via shiny stone or max happiness with a fairy move. To your first bullet yes, update the typings and type matchup table. Include both moves and pokemon typing. Yes, to your second bullet. For example Magnemites line should be electric/steel and to get Magnezone one could level it up while in or around the power plant on route 10. Since Charizard's sprite depicts him on the ground his flying typing should be replaced by dragon but, still have access to fly and other flying type moves. Maybe give him flash fire, Tough claws or something of the like as an ability. Gyarados should be water/dragon and either increase the level up evolution to a higher number, so 40 instead of 20, or in keeping it's evolution with it's lore have Magikarp evolve into Gyarados while ascending up a waterfall with the HM waterfall. Side note: I think HM moves should be field moves (see Radical Red as example - if a pokemon can normally use it than it should be able to use it upon acquiring the respective HM and badge without taking up a move slot). Pokemon like the magnemite line and pokemon sprites that are clearly off the ground i.e. Beedrill should either get the levitate ability or be immune to ground type moves - more realistic and challenging also it would buff some "weaker" or not as used as much pokemon. Squirtle and Wartortle should get the ability shell armor and Blastoise should get mega launcher. I think movesets and learned moves should be more grounded in reality so if a pokemon is not part poision than they shouldn't be able to learn toxic and other poison type moves. Pokemon like Rhydon that are 4x weak to water shouldn't be able to learn surf. While surfing, only water, flying and pokemon that can learn surf should be able to battle on water. These more grounded scenarios and movesets would not only increase the difficulty level, which is needed badly, but, also would force the player to consider strategy and how best to approach a trainer or gym battle. Base stats should be updated to present. Modern features like grass types are immune to powder moves (stun spore, spore, sleep powder, poison powder) and leech seed, fire types can't be burned, electric types can't be paralyzed by thunder wave, ice types can't be frozen, poison types can't be poisoned (unless the attacking mon has corrosion) and have 100% accuracy when using poisoning moves (toxic) should be implemented. Trainers IQ should be higher with competitive teams and movesets. Gyms should be more akin to the anime where you battle just the gym leader and the gym rules: can only use the same amount of mons as the gym leader (1 v 1 or 2 v 2) - I think in the anime the gym leader's are set but, the trainer can switch well you can make it so the trainer is set as well and maybe can't use healing items during battle. Ascetically you could have the gym reflect their anime counterparts so Brocks gym would be a field with rocks and boulders on it. Misty you could battle on water or a platform on the water like in the anime. If its on the water than only water types, flying types, or mons that can swim(surf) would be able to participate. Erika could be on a grass field and grass types could get a field bonus akin to grassy terrain but, only grounded grass types would get the restored HP after each turn and the ground moves like earthquake and dig's power would be halved. Gym leader IQs should be raised, their teams should more closely reflect the anime and have more competitive movesets and strategies. The TM that they give you should be included in the movesets if not on all of their mons defiantly on their aces. TMs that are given should reflect the gym leaders typing i.e. Brock and rock tomb, Misty and water pulse, Surge and shock wave/thunderbolt, etc.. Surge should just have a Raichu (could use double team, bright powder item, thunder wave paralyzing tactics), Sabrina just an Alakazam (could have twisted spoon, barrier to raise its defense and use recover to heal), Blaine could have a team like the anime or he could just have a Magmortar(charcoal could use smokescreen for accuracy drops, smog for poisoning, and burn tactics). Koga should have a Golbat or Crobat and Venomoth and use toxic stall evasion strategies and tactics. Leaders with one mon can have items to either boost their attacks i.e. twisted spoon on Alakazam or berries to replenish health (sitrus berry) or rest/chesto, confusion moves (thrash)/persim combos. The stat increases from acquiring each badge should be removed. All the bugs/glitches should be removed. Items, movesets should all be updated to current. TM list should be increased and have move relevant moves. So TMs like Whirlwind, Rage, and Bide should be replaced. Make the TMs worthwhile! TMs should be reusable like gen 5 and should only be bought and given from NPCs - not found in the overworld. Repels should have gen 5 reuse mechanics. The gardener (spraying repels to keep caterpie and weedle away) in Pewter City should give you a repel. Itemfinder should be like HGSS's or gen 5s. mushrooms and berries should appear in the overworld as their icons and not pokeballs. Maybe you could even do something with mushrooms and berries like a tiny mushroom can be made into a potion, two tiny (or tiny and large) mushrooms can be made into a super potion and a large mushroom can be made into a hyper potion. You could have a NPC (herb shop) that teaches you how to do this (so can't do it before speaking with them or the NPC themselves can turn the mushroom/berries into items potions (mushrooms, oran berries, sitrus berries), antidotes (Pecha Berry), paralyze heals (Cheri Berry), burn heals (Rawst Berry), ice heals (Aspear Berry), awakienings (Chesto Berry). Also, you can mix the powders, roots, and herbs to get a beneficial outcome instead of pokemon becoming unfriendly toward you. Illuminate should act like flash in the overworld (light up dark caves) and act like intimidate in battle where instead of an attack drop (intimidate) there would be a accuracy drop. Stench should have a chance that pokemon don't attack. Damp as an ability should be eliminated however, its effect should be implemented into rain - so when a mon uses rain dance or has the ability drizzle, everything is damp and therefore a mon can't use explosion, self destruct or the like. Also, the chance of freezing a foe should go up during and after the rain for a couple turns (like real world occurrences) when using a ice type move that has a chance to freeze. Maybe double the chance during these events, 10% to 20%. Graphics should be touched up but, keep the same look and feel of the original (use gen two sprites) or gen 5 sprites if going with a later rom base. Weekly and daily events should be included and day/night is a must especially for day/night evolutions. You could have in-game trades where the NPC trades a mon that evolves during trading i.e. The NPC on route 5 asks for a Nidoran male in exchange for their Nidoran female, well instead of a Nidoran female they can trade you a Haunter so upon trading it would evolve into a Gengar. Weather can be added if the situation calls for it i.e. on top of Mount Silver and hailing/snowing. Also, pokemon should be relocated to more appropriate locations i.e. Articuno (should have snow warning as an agility and be able to learn Aurora Veil) on Mount Silver or in the Ice Cavern. I'm not sure if your doing one region or two but, it would be neat and a first if the player could select a starting region and than progress through the story to the other one (so like generation 2/HGSS normally where you start in Johto and eventually go to Kanto or you could select starting in Kanto and eventually go to Johto after you beat the elite 4). You could have level scaling or when you enter the new region and are given the regional starter all the levels are "reset" and you can't use your higher leveled mons for the continuation until you get to a place in the story where your current mons levels are the same as your higher leveled mons from the first region. Pokemon should have updated movesets and more appropriate abilities i.e. the legendary bird trio should all have their respective weather ability and should learn hurricane. Twister should be a flying type and a stronger move. Hurricane and Twister are strong natural forces in the real world. Hurricane in-game has a bp of 110, Twister should be comparable. Physical/special split is a must! Lower casing in my option is ascetically more appeasing. Shinies should be included but, make them special again. Increase their rarity like earlier gens and give them unique/hidden abilities and have perfect IVs (maybe 4 and above). This would make them special and worth hunting for. Also, some of their color palettes need to be redone i.e. Charizard should have a black/blue theme like its mega form (black skin and blue flames). I would like an expanded Mewtwo side story line. See the enclosed link for inspriation (https://www.deviantart.com/othienka/art/Armored-Mewtwo-V3-594576816) . I think the lore around Mew, Mewtwo, and Ditto (failed Mewtwo clones) should be explored. There's journals in the pokemon mansion but, maybe include text from NPCs like scientists that worked on the project or maybe you could even tie in Blaine and his involvement since he's a scientist on Cinnabar island. Ditto's location should therefore be moved to the pokemon mansion only. Mewtwo should get the berserk ability and have the berserk gene item as a held item but, instead of increasing its attack it should increase its special attack. Those additions would make for a challenging boss battle when the player confronts it in Cerulean Cave. This would also add to why the master ball was created - to catch the strongest pokemon in the world. One of the Giovanni meetings or maybe even the gym battle with him could have him send out armored Mewtwo and then Mewtwo would flee mid battle (maybe ignoring Giovanni's orders like when a traded pokemon's level is higher than the current badge that the player has) and go to Cerulean Cave where now it has lost its armor. These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the ideas that I have. We can go through each mon and decide which abilities, moves, location, stats, etc. it should have. We can brainstorm some more on trainer, gym leader, and elite 4 teams and movesets. We can brainstorm on more story elements, game design, and play. Looking forward to working with you and executing this project. If you need any clarification don't hesitate to ask.

Major Agnostic

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Hey, thanks for your passionate input! Would be easier to read if you separated the text into paragraphs/bullets though hahaha. Anyway, first of all, I have to say that abilities were never on the table; I think they would make the game feel a little too modern, although I'll likely have a phys/spec split since a lot of people are so used to it. Same goes for gen IV+ evolutions like Electivire. They would stand out too much given that all of the other Pokemon would be gen I. I MAY consider only Johto evolutions of gen I Pokemon, but I think it's unlikely.

As for typing, I'm currently leaning away from Dark/Steel/Fairy, so Magneton might just be Electric; I'll consider it though. As for Gyarados' type, I quite like the idea of him being Water/Dragon if there's no Kingdra (which is likely), as well as a level 40 evolution. I actually have Gyarados as pure dragon in Crystal Ultimate and evolves from Magikarp at level 30. I'll also make Charizard's fly sprite a dragon, if it isn't already (is it really a bird in gen 2?).

HMs: I LOVE that waterfall evo idea for Gyarados! I'll try and make it evolve upon reaching the top of a waterfall if it's level 40+ or something, would have to look into how to code that evolution type. If I include that, I'll be certain to credit you, didn't think of that. Regarding HMs being fields moves, the reason I'm not doing that is because I'll be buffing the HMs so that they're useful moves, like in Ultimate (and the game won't have a ton of moves to begin with, being gen 0). I will be adding a pre-existing move as a field move though (similar to Sweet Scent and Teleport). I think it'll have a cool use, assuming the code isn't too hard to do.

For moves being grounded in reality, yeah, that's been a part of my process in Ultimate and will apply for gen 0/RBY prequel as well. As for Surf, I like the idea of restricted Pokemon usage, similar to the flyer trainers in gen 5. I will try and implement something like this. And base stats will be balanced for sure, I've been using later gen stats as inspiration; trainer AI and composition will also be improved like in Ultimate. Grass being immune to grass-type powders and such will likely be implemented as well.

As for gyms, I'll likely keep them more traditional, but I'll mix up the looks/puzzles and the leaders (the game will start 15 years before RBY or so). So very few of the gen 1 gym leaders will be the gym leaders in this prequel. I was already thinking of Set-only and no healing, but that would be for Hard/Very Hard mode.

There will be no badge stat boost and TMs will be reusable, just like in Ultimate. However, I will not add too many TMs/moves, mainly sticking to gen 1/2 just to have a decent variety; I'll only add moves from later gens if absolutely necessary for balance and variety. I'd rather keep old moves and change what they do. As for Repels, I actually just implemented the gen 5 mechanic in Ultimate today, so that'll carry over; I'll look into HGSS itemfinder, although that might look odd lol.

That item mix/creation idea is awesome! I really like the idea and will most likely implement it, same for the weather ideas (and credit you). As for starting locations, those will be set because it will be heavily story-focused (Crystal Clear did let you choose actually). I'm thinking of adding the northern Orange Islands as the second region! I love the idea of a 'fresh' start in the second region, although sounds very difficult to implement. Will keep it in the back of my mind. Also, I'm undecided on shinies.

As for the Mewtwo-related stuff, I've got you covered; that will be a heavy focus of the story (already have a bunch of ideas down).

A lot of the ideas you have are great, but it seems like you want a much more modern gen 0 hack than I do, so collaboration likely wouldn't be the best option. Even if our goals were more aligned, real life is too busy and erratic for me (law school) to commit to working on a project like this in a way that would likely work out well. I absolutely appreciate the ideas though (again, if I use any, I'll give credit where it's due) and don't mind discussing it more with you. Discord's the best place to reach me (see my Pokemon Crystal Ultimate post/documentation for the link).

Thanks a lot for your passionate interest,

MA

Squirtlenator

Years
  • Yeah, sorry for the verbal diarrhea lol. I just have so many ideas to share and contribute. One thought lead to another and before I knew it my post was a mess. There was so much more that I wanted to include but, it would have ended up looking like a novel lol. I appreciate you taking the time to read and reply. It sounds like some of my suggestions were helpful. Yeah, by all means take what you like and disregard what you don't. I'm just spit balling ideas. Like I said in my post, I have a ton of ideas that I would like to implement into a rom hack but, lack the programming/coding know how. That's why I'm in search of someone or a team to help on that front. I understand how busy life can get and people need to remember that programmers like yourself do have a life outside of pokemon and hacking. I downloaded your crystal ultimate hack and am waiting anxiously for the release of your new one but, don't rush it, take your time and perfect it. If you ever need to brainstorm ideas or spit ball ideas I'm only a inbox away. All the best MA

Major Agnostic

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Thanks, I really appreciate the support (badass pic btw lol). Feel free to reach out on my discord, since I check that more often. And I had literally no programming/coding knowledge or skills before starting this hack in mid-July 2020 (still hardly do hahaha), so don't let that be an obstacle for you. I'm not trying to be humble or anything, like I knew NOTHING. I studied natural/social sciences and the humanities, so this stuff is all brand new to me lol. Don't let a lack of knowledge be a barrier.

You clearly have a lot of great ideas (the ones I didn't address were mostly due to them being abilities-related, which won't be in the gen 0 hack) and passion, so I'd say start by checking out the pokecrystal disassembly. There's a ton of tutorials on github for cool things to add (that's what I started with) and the best way to get started is by checking out the "pokecrystal for dummies" post on this site. There's also the pret (a github community) discord server, where you can ask people for help with hacking the disassembly (invaluable, although always try to figure it out yourself before asking) and meet people you can potentially collaborate with.

Start off SMALL and see where it goes, regardless of how ambitious and creative you are. I had my grand gen 0 ideas since the start; in fact, I wanted this story to be explored since my teens (probably 10+ years ago). I actually mailed a letter back then to Nintendo's HQ in Japan asking them to make a prequel to gen 1, detailing the main story elements that I'd like to see. However, it was far too difficult to start off with, especially with no programming or coding knowledge at all.

So start off with a difficulty/QoL hack, or maybe a small island with only a few maps. Maybe forego monumental additions like Megas and hundreds of Pokemon. I decided to do a remake of Crystal that would balance stats, moves, the level curve, and just touch it up a bit. Once I got started, I decided to add more features and get into more details with my balancing and revisions, eventually leading to a hack that, although not quite complete yet, I'm quite proud of. Even if you don't end up wanting to release your first hack, it'll give you some confidence and will give you a good idea of what you can and can't do at that time, which makes planning whatever you dream of making both much easier and more realistic/guided.

Hope this helps,

MA

Squirtlenator

Years
  • That's some sound advice. Thank you for the encouragement, support, and suggestions.

I'm a Gen one-er. Started at the very beginning. Pokemon Blue was my first game and from the moment that I was introduced to the franchise, I couldn't put the game down. I was hooked. Squirtle was my first choice and has been my favorite ever since. #teamsquirtle, #thesquirtlesquad lol. The universe has so much potential but, unfortunately GameFreak and Nintendo drop the ball and fail to bring what the fans really want. Over the years my interest has faded but, it still holds a special place. The gimmicks have gotten out of hand - not a fan of post gen 5: megas, z-moves, and dynamax, hated the ultra beasts - lazy and terrible designs IMHO, regional variants, although an interesting concept, is more lazy designs, missed opportunities or poor executions, not logically making sense - lack of being grounded in reality, and of course the difficulty, or lack there of to be more specific. These and others have been the reason for my dwindling interest. But, with fans like yourself, creating these incredible rom hacks there's still hope that one day we will get the game that we all so sorely deserve.

Take care MA

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    If you're going to add Steel, Fairy and Dark type to a game that has only the first 151 Pokémon, Steel will be just for Magnemite line, and Dark for literally nothing, unless you add Alolan/Galar forms (which would also add one extra option for Dragon and Ghost types) or do something to fix Gen 1's lack of Pokémon for those types. Fairy would at least have three species so it's not that bad I suppose.

Also keep in mind one of the biggest Gen 1 balance problems (besides how much type variety sucks): without Dark/Steel types, nothing resists Psychic besides Psychic.

Physical/Special split is allways welcome as it adds more depth and variety to the gameplay, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer not having that. But if you add it, you'll need to add moves from later gens as well, because otherwise there will be a lack of special or physical moves for certain types. For example the only physical Fire type move would be Fire Punch, which most Gen 1 Fire Pokémon can't learn.

I'm not a fan of fan-made stats rebalancing, move edits, etc. but if your game needs it for some Pokémon, or for whatever balance reasons, then why not.

Major Agnostic

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    @Squirtlenator I feel you, my interest has also dwindled significantly since gen 4, personally, and especially starting with gen 7. Oh and there's a good 'genwunner' reference in Ultimate, once the full game will come out lol.

@wipoon Regarding types, I would also be changing the types of some moves (Bite being Dark, will make Cut Bug like in Ultimate or something) to add variety and balance things out, so I'd get use a bit more use out of those types. If I add Fairy type, I may add 2-3 fairy-type moves or change some existing ones to Fairy. I don't want to add too many new moves, but having decent variety and balance is my priority over an old-school experience, although it's a close second.

And yes, Psychic is ofc an issue and part of why I'm considering adding Dark/Steel. I may even make ghost resist Psychic, if people are open to that. Changes like making Cut bug-type (and stronger) will be done to balance this. I think it'd be quite difficult to make gen 1 stuff balanced and interesting without some move edits, although I'll try and keep it mostly to buffs from later gens (like Thrash being 120 power or increasing the Drains' PP). I'll try and add appropriate later gen moves first though, like Fire Fang for a physical Fire-type move and such.

Also, what do you think of adding to/changing Pokemon's existing types? For example, Blastoise being water/steel and Cloyster being water/ghost, which matches their look/theme while adding variety (did that in Ultimate), if I put in those new types. One that I almost certainly will do is making Gyarados Water/Dragon, since there won't be a Kingdra and that was originally intended for it anyway (it would evolve at a later level, likely 40 and maybe with a waterfall-related evolution requirement, as Squirtlenator suggested).

Oh and do you think shinies would take away from a gen 0 feel? I've been hearing mixed opinions on this in my discord.

Thanks for the response btw!

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Also, what do you think of adding to/changing Pokemon's existing types? For example, Blastoise being water/steel and Cloyster being water/ghost, which matches their look/theme while adding variety (did that in Ultimate), if I put in those new types. One that I almost certainly will do is making Gyarados Water/Dragon, since there won't be a Kingdra and that was originally intended for it anyway (it would evolve at a later level, likely 40 and maybe with a waterfall-related evolution requirement, as Squirtlenator suggested).

Oh and do you think shinies would take away from a gen 0 feel? I've been hearing mixed opinions on this in my discord.

I personally don't like fan-made changes to Pokémon types. I'm fine with some changes if it's to help make Pokémon that Game Freak has no love for, such as Ledian or Chimeco, more viable, but not the typical stuff like "fixing" the types of Pokémon that are already strong and perfectly viable such as Gyarados, Charizard, Flygon, Luxray, etc. I think gameplay balance is more important than giving every Pokémon the type that matches what they look like. Water-Dragon Gyarados in Gen 1 would be basically God mode.

But that's just my personal prefferences, it's your project so if you want to be more creative and have your reasons to change Pokémon types it's up to you.

As for shinies, imo that's pretty irrelevant, since in most playthroughs you're most likely to not find a single one anyway. I don't think whether adding them or not would have a big impact on the experience.

Major Agnostic

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Yeah I understand that. I didn't want to change types originally, but I think there would be a serious lack of variety otherwise. I'll mainly keep type changes to Pokemon that have those types in later gens (Clefairy being Fairy, Marowak having a secondary Ghost typing, Rattata/Meowth lines being Dark, etc). I may consider also releasing a 'Classic' version of the hack, like I'll do for Ultimate, where most if not all of the type changes are removed, same for base stat rebalancing and all that. Perhaps you'd prefer that.

As for shinies, I'd be significantly increasing the shiny rate if I left it in, probably 1/256 (which is what Reddit people voted for in Ultimate) or 1/800-something (my preference).

Squirtlenator

Years
  • Hey MA, after messaging back and forth with you I'm beginning to get an understanding of your goals for this project. I will hone in on that criteria and make my suggestions based on them and hopefully be more helpful.

Personally, the only mons that I would change typings for of the original 150/151 are: Charizard (fire/dragon), Clefairy's line (pure fairy), Jigglypuff's line (pure fairy - personally, I don't like the dual normal/second type typings. To me normal is the type for any mon that doesn't "fit" into the other typings. A bit of head cannon: Prior to gen 6 the fairy type was undiscovered hence why mons with the fairy typing were classified as normal. Upon discovering this new type previous mons were reclassified - happens in the real world all the time in regards to animal species. Maybe you could work this into your rom if you want. Have one of the aides make this discovery or the professor him/herself), the birds Pidgey's line, Spearow's line and Farfetch'd should loose their normal typing and just be flying (or "Air" type is what I've come up with - side note: I have also consolidated rock and ground into the Earth type. "Rock" moves would still exist but, have the Earth typing. Air would still be immume to Earth but, weak to the "rock" moves. Refer to freeze-dry and flying press mechanics), Doduo's line should loose it's flying type and just be normal - according to it's dex entry it's a very poor flyer and prefers to run, maybe Ninetales (fire/ghost) because of it's spiritual connection, Cloyster (pure water - I read somewhere that the real life inspiration lives in warm waters so the ice typing doesn't fit well, imo), maybe gastly's line (ghost/dark) as dark refers to evil in Japanese and a lot if not all of the ghost dex entries imply or outright state evil intentions and acts but, then you would need to change their official dex entries as they touch upon being comprised of poisonous gases, Mr. Mime (psychic/fairy), Gyarados (water/dragon), and Lapras (pure water).

As for shinies, I read a thread elsewhere on here discussing the encounter rates of shinies in rom hacks; whether to increase or decrease the rate. One poster suggested having the increased rate as an additional patch that could be applied if so desired. You could do that. Make a shiny patch and those that want them can apply it and those that don't don't have to.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and suggestions. Good luck.

Major Agnostic

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Hey Squirtlenator (or anyone else), are there any other ideas you've come up with since last time (also Ultimate 1.0 is out now)?

Back