• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] where do i start in a rom hack?

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen May 28, 2022
hello!
I'm new to rom hacking, and i wanted to make a rom hack of fire red, and i don't plan on changing any maps (other than random encounters), just the pokemon, the moves and the trainers (specifically their teams).
but i need some help on where to start. I'm not talking about what to do in the hack, i mean how do i start the hacking? in the rom? the emulator? the tools I'm using?
the tools I'm using are G3T, NSE and gen III suite, the emulator I'm using is VBA, and im on windows. I also have emerald as a backup in case fire red doesn't work out
I would also love any advice on what tools to use or what i absolutely need to use :)

Qmer Kaça

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
Get A-Map to insert scripts to OWs.
Get XSE to write scripts to OWs.
Get A-Trainer or Hopeless Trainer Editor yo change trainers.
I don't recomend to use G3T for Pokemons. But it's perfect for adding and changing moves. So you can get PGE, G3HS, YAPE. For the changing sprites I recomend A-series.
You WİLL need unlz so just download it.
Get a hex editor. (I recomend Hex Workshop or HxD)
This is your first hack do you probibly ruin smt so back up everyting.(Your rom, sprites, scripts etc.)
If you don't want to use assembly you can use Jpan.
If you don't want to waste your tine use MrDollSteak's patch. (Use Lips or A-Patch)
If you want to watch videos about it there is Aspiring PokeTrainer,Anthoron and many more.
So welcome to the rom hacking I hope you enjoy.

Back