• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Identifying Japanese cards

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2019
    Hi everyone - I've just been on hols to Japan and bought some Pokemon cards to sell - I'm raising money for charity so thought I'd give this a go - I have no idea how to identify them, all I know about Pokemon cards is when my children collected them years ago. Anyone got any ideas please on how to identify them? Thank you

Years
  • There's not really an easy way to identify them unless you actually know anything about Pokemon and Pokemon cards to begin with.

The thing to note is, Japanese language cards are generally worth their most when they're *in* Japan. There's just not a lot of demand in the English-speaking world for Japanese cards among those who do collect Pokemon cards, *especially* newer cards, because those who play the Pokemon Trading Card Game in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK can only use English-language cards. Chances are you'll lose money and you'd have probably been better off giving that cash you spent on the cards straight to the charity instead.

All that said, I do know enough about the cards to identify them but valuations will generally not be what you're expecting them to be.

Back