• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova originally planned to be one huge city?

Years
To clear up the title right away, since I know there's been a lot of Pokémon development stuff coming out lately, this is not that.

Back when the very first details about Pokémon Black and White versions were being revealed and the games were still shrouded in rumor with little concrete information readily available, I recall reading something to the effect of Unova being just one gigantic city, as opposed to how all official Pokémon regions are comprised of multiple towns and cities with nature-laden roads connecting them. Obviously, this would ultimately turn out not to be the case at all.

Was this ever something that was actually reported? Does anybody else remember this at all? My intuition tells me that this is, on whoever's part, a misinterpretation of early information about Castelia City, but I'm not actually positive about that.

Any other accounts or even just opinions about this would be much appreciated!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
I mean it would be cool to so, but I very much doupt this was ever an actual thing,

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I doubt I would've liked to have been stuck in a huge city for an entire game, so I'm glad this didn't happen. Castelia City is big enough as it is.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I've not heard of this before either, although I paid very little attention to pre-release information on Pokemon games before XY. It's possible that they may have had an entirely different idea for the design of Unova, but it's also possible that it was just a misinterpretation (which does happen).

I think that it would've been cool to have the region just be one huge city, but I also think that it's good that it didn't happen. It's extremely unlikely they could've done the concept justice, as they still don't make cities significantly bigger than they used to be on more powerful hardware (hello Wyndon), and Game Freak's sort of allergic to doing something truly different so said allergy would probably just fuck it up anyway.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
I thought that was just a mistranslation or a rumor at most. I don't think that it would've worked out well had it been implemented anyway, regardless of what the region was based on.

Back