• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Essentials Tutorial] New Field Effects

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
Years
  • I wanted to add some new field effects and saw this tutorial on Relic Castle and not here on Pokecommunity so I made this!

You will learn to:
    • How to make it be active from the get go-
    • How to let background change based on the field-
    • How to implement battle start up messages-
    • How to buff overall move types, specific moves, specific move kind-
    • And more stuff...

Here I go::
    Spoiler:

Credit:
    Amethyst
    Blind Guardian
    BIGFriv
    Groniack
    #Not Important

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Is this tutorial incomplete? How do I add this terrain effect to a move or an ability? How do I have it only for a certain number of turns? Why do we need to set it from metadata? Why can't we do it mid-battle like the Tapus?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2021
    Hi! I was the one that made it on Relic Castle, I actually found a fairly better way to make the background load faster and how to decide what field to use in each map without requiring their IDs.
    I have just been really lazy when it comes to updating the thread ahaha, I'll try to get to it in the next couple weeks, so once I do that, you can update this thread too : )

and @UberDunsparce
    This was made to be permanent field effects, you can do them temporarily too if you want, (which I will also update the thread later on)
    Through the metadata was because I wanted it to work from the get go, without requiring moves or abilities.
    I'll also update the thread these comming weeks on how to have an ability trigger them, and also moves trigger them. :)

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • Hi! I was the one that made it on Relic Castle, I actually found a fairly better way to make the background load faster and how to decide what field to use in each map without requiring their IDs.
    I have just been really lazy when it comes to updating the thread ahaha, I'll try to get to it in the next couple weeks, so once I do that, you can update this thread too : )

and @UberDunsparce
    This was made to be permanent field effects, you can do them temporarily too if you want, (which I will also update the thread later on)
    Through the metadata was because I wanted it to work from the get go, without requiring moves or abilities.
    I'll also update the thread these comming weeks on how to have an ability trigger them, and also moves trigger them. :)

Thanks for making it! (it helped me a lot)
    I also found a little error; maps.include?($game_map.map_id) does not work. It has to be $game_map && maps.include?($game_map.map_id)
    =================================================================================================================================
    I have already figured out how to make abilities trigger the effect and moves too, just I did that in my head.
    =================================================================================================================================
    Am working on the loading background too, but I am sure you're way is better though!
    Spoiler:

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • Small update;
    Make abilities trigger a terrain:
    Spoiler:

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • For moves:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2021
    Know what, Ill update the thread today : P, and I'll give you the proper methods for that.
    Youre making those permanent, while moves/abilities should be temporary

There we go, go check it out :)

Last edited:

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • I also found a little bug...
    I'm trying to fix it tho...
    The effect message carries over until another weather is in effect

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • So, if I move from route 1 to my route two, the message I have made which is 'Grass is overgrown all over the field!' still shows even though I've moved on...
    The attacks are not boosted or anything though!

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2021
    :thinking:
    Did you reinstall the script from the beguinning?
    Dont forget that its no longer based on map ID, but rather on what background the map has in the metadata.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2021
    Okay, I rechecked my thread, I commited an error, don't know if thats what is causing your error, but fix this:

Now, go to
    Code:
    PBEffects
    and search for:

Code:
    # These effects apply to the battle (i.e. both sides)

add,

Code:
    Terrain     =  xx
    Replace xx with whatever number you have afterwards, for me it's 13:

FVKtWwQ.png

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    [
    maps=[5]#the maps that use the field

if $game_map && maps.include?($game_map.map_id)
    if @environment==PBEnvironment::Grass || @environment==PBEnvironment::TallGrass || @environment==PBEnvironment::None
    $fieldeffectsbg=1 #Scorched
    pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("The ground is super-heated!")
    end
    end
    ]

In this block of code there's supposed to be another ')' after 'super-heated!")' like so:

pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("The ground is super-heated!"))

Spent the last hour trying to debug a syntax error :))))

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2021
    [

if @environment==PBEnvironment::Grass || @environment==PBEnvironment::TallGrass || @environment==PBEnvironment::None
    pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("The ground is super-heated!")
    end
    end
    ]

In this block of code there's supposed to be another ')' after 'super-heated!")' like so:

pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("The ground is super-heated!"))

Spent the last hour trying to debug a syntax error :))))

That method will be really really really long in the long run if you add a lot of fields. The method in the thread he linked in the original post is better. As it connects fields to the metadatas battle backgrounds instead.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    Couldn't figure out how to choose a different field effect, but I figured it out. It was better. Thanks for pointing it out!

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2024
    Trying to adapt, i put this code on PokeBattle_Battle where it's now the weather effect

pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("Hay veneno en todos lados!")
    end
    end

It's return sintaxis error

Last edited:
    Back