• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Probably dumb question regarding rombases

Years
  • Ok so I have a question that probably seems silly to most.
    I have been trying to create a Rom Hack from scratch and it is seriously hard work. After adding new moves and slots for new pokemon, and editing the original pokemon and their stats, movesets etc I have realiesed that the new empty slots for Pokemon were broken in PGE and weren't editable. So I tried adding 1 new pokemon using the pge tool and now my rom is broken after weeks of work and I haven't backed it up in ages because I'm an idiot.

My quesiton is, is it frowned upon to use a rombase such as MrDollSteak's rombase to build a hack with custom characters, story etc, or is the purpose of a rombase to simply take the harder work out of rom hacking for new hackers as long as everything is properly credited/

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Ok so I have a question that probably seems silly to most.
    I have been trying to create a Rom Hack from scratch and it is seriously hard work. After adding new moves and slots for new pokemon, and editing the original pokemon and their stats, movesets etc I have realiesed that the new empty slots for Pokemon were broken in PGE and weren't editable. So I tried adding 1 new pokemon using the pge tool and now my rom is broken after weeks of work and I haven't backed it up in ages because I'm an idiot.

My quesiton is, is it frowned upon to use a rombase such as MrDollSteak's rombase to build a hack with custom characters, story etc, or is the purpose of a rombase to simply take the harder work out of rom hacking for new hackers as long as everything is properly credited/

I would say that the purpose of ROM bases are to remove the cookie cutter/repetitive aspects such as data entry. Feel free to use whatever ROM base, they're around for people to use.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Don't ever use Mr. DS's base, Leon's Ultimate is SO MUCH better, because it takes Mr. DS's base and fixes just about all of the critical bugs, while introducing no new ones, on top of adding lots of new features. And it's not frowned upon, because the entire point of releasing them is for others to use them.

Back