• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do I trade in so I can get a switch?

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2019
    So I have my Nintendo 3DS, and every single Pokemon game from the first time it was on a DS (diamond/pearl through ultra sun/Moon). I can't afford a switch and the new game. So do I trade in all my games and 3ds in order to get the switch and sword/shield?

Not trading in my gb and gba collection, cuz that's just crazy talk.

Help. I can't decide if it's worth it.

Years
  • i mean. up to you. i get that this might not be the most helpful answer (if at all), but that's a pretty big decision to sell off all of your (3)DS games for a Switch and SwSh. are you sure you're not going to go back and play the old 3DS games, again? if you're a fan of what you've seen so far, then i suppose your decision more or less is already made. are you going to play other games on the Switch other than SwSh? if so, then it might be worth it if you truly feel like you're not getting much enjoyment out of your 3DS anymore.

if you're only really buying a Switch just to play SwSh and no other game then idk if it's a justifiable investment.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Depends. Do you have Pokemon you really care about on your save files? And have you beaten these games? Pokemon Home is going to be released in early 2020, so maybe wait until you have a place you can transfer the Pokemon you care about to.

Do you have any other games besides Pokemon that you'd be willing to trade over your Pokemon games? Figured I'd ask just in case.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I wouldn't trade in your old systems for a new game and Switch. I guess it depends on how attached you are to your older games, but you're talking about trading in items you have an emotional attachment to for a new game that you could always pick up later. You won't be able to get those original files back, even if you rebuy the games. And Pokémon games can become hard to find (though this doesn't seem to be as big an issue for the 3DS games as it was for DS and GBA games). I'm also not sure if you could ever access stored Pokémon in something like Bank without a 3DS, which is another issue if you are at all attached to your collection.

Then there's the issue of how you feel about what you've seen of SwSh. Personally, I've been disappointed by some of the decisions that have been made (Dexit, etc.), and I would want to be able to return to older games to balance that out. But I also tend to be highly nostalgic, and like coming back to old games years later. You're the only one who knows your personal tastes, how you feel about SwSh vs. older games, and how often you tend to return to older titles.

Also consider what sort of deal you'd be getting. If you have to sell your old system and a whole bunch of games just to get the funds to buy a Switch and one game, that's a fairly large trade off. Do you have any other funds that could pay for part of the Switch + game purchase, or are you planning on funding this solely through selling other games and systems?

Also, have you sold old systems and games in the past? How did you feel about it?

I've never been one to sell old systems and games, and I would never personally consider it, which tells me that you probably have a different mindset and priorities than I do. So as others have said, you need to weigh what's important to you. But I will add that the most common regret I've seen mentioned on gaming forums when people reflect back on their habits is selling old systems and games in order to afford new ones. Thus, if it were me, I would hold off on buying the game and system for a few months, continue playing older titles, and then buy the new system once I had enough money saved up, even if that took me a while.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • For me I won't do that.
    Eventually I sold off my older generation games but only after I transferred all of them to the new ones-- Been doing it since the third generation.
    To be very honest you're not even going to get that much to cover up the cost from selling all of them, anyway.

I am also happy with Gamefreak for choosing to only release the next generation of Pokemon so late into Switch's release; it gave a lot of people a lot of time to save up, and even then, there is a Switch Lite which really help it if you can't afford the main one in time.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Not worth it if you ask me, it's typically the kind of things who seems to be a smart move at first but can easily be regretted in the future (Could be months, years or even decades later). In fact, I sold a bunch of old consoles and video games when I was young and now, I could just kick myself for doing that. Of course in the end it's up to you but don't be me, think thoroughly before selling them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    I wouldn't do that either. You can always buy a switch and SWSH later when you have the money or find a really good deal but if down the line you start wishing you could play the previous gens again, you might end up spending a lot of money to get them back. You might be hyped now, but in 2 years SWSH will just be another past generation and you will regret having traded four generations just to play one

pkmin3033

Don't do it, trade in prices are absolute garbage. You'd be lucky to make half the cost of a Switch Lite and a copy of the game trading in everything.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2020
    Do it! The game is amazing and its so great being able to play it on the TV!

Back