• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Vragon

What's one of the hardest choices in Pokémon? Choosing a starter!

Yes, choosing the starter is one of the longest choices if not prepared ahead of time. This is the mon you will take on your journey so don't rush the choice even in Gen 3, Birch can wait. So today I'll give you all the wonderful task of telling what starter was your choice in Gen 2. Feel free to elaborate on why you chose that starter over the others, unless you're like me and have to have all the starters of the region, RIP my pocket money!

kinesis

Sounds like one of them lil' birds
    Years
  • Totodile all the way, I was only young at the time so it seemed right to pick the crocodile haha. My next playthrough was with Chikorita and that's when I experienced difficulty in a Pokemon game for the first time - I reckon if I would have chose Cyndaquil that playthrough would have been a walk in the park.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Totodile all the way, I was only young at the time so it seemed right to pick the crocodile haha. My next playthrough was with Chikorita and that's when I experienced difficulty in a Pokemon game for the first time - I reckon if I would have chose Cyndaquil that playthrough would have been a walk in the park.

I picked Chikorita as my first starter ever in Silver, it would have been hard but I was catching and training every Pokémon in my path so I had an army of Lv. 10 Rattata for the first Gym. How did you beat the first Gym when you chose Chikorita?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • When I first played Silver I chose Totodile, now though I'm not sure who I'm going to pick! I really do like all three Johto starters pretty much equally so it'll take me some time to decide.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2020
    I always chose Fire-type starters (since I fell in love with Charizard), so even in gen II I picked up Cyndaquill, however I have to admit that the best designed starter of Jotho is Totodile (and its evolution line)

kinesis

Years
  • I picked Chikorita as my first starter ever in Silver, it would have been hard but I was catching and training every Pokémon in my path so I had an army of Lv. 10 Rattata for the first Gym. How did you beat the first Gym when you chose Chikorita?

Geodude had a lot to do with it!

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Geodude had a lot to do with it!

Haha, oh yes! I almost forgot you could catch it in the cave near Violet City. I never got one before but I almost picked it up in HGSS...however someone gives you a Mareep Egg so it's pretty easy to beat the Leader after that

kinesis

Years
  • Haha, oh yes! I almost forgot you could catch it in the cave near Violet City. I never got one before but I almost picked it up in HGSS...however someone gives you a Mareep Egg so it's pretty easy to beat the Leader after that

A Mareep Egg? Have I missed out on a vital piece of information haha, where is this!? I've never heard of that before and i've played countless times.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    A Mareep Egg? Have I missed out on a vital piece of information haha, where is this!? I've never heard of that before and i've played countless times.

Its only in the remakes, so Heart Gold/SoulSilver, but there is a dude in the Violet City Poké Center that you can tell some specific phrases, and depending on your ID he may give you rewards like Eggs and PC Wallpaper. It's pretty easy to find a generator online that you input your ID and it tells you what you need to say.

kinesis

Years
  • Its only in the remakes, so Heart Gold/SoulSilver, but there is a dude in the Violet City Poké Center that you can tell some specific phrases, and depending on your ID he may give you rewards like Eggs and PC Wallpaper. It's pretty easy to find a generator online that you input your ID and it tells you what you need to say.

No way! Looks like I'm revisiting HGSS, is Mareep the only Pokemon you can get?

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    No way! Looks like I'm revisiting HGSS, is Mareep the only Pokemon you can get?

No, you can also get a Slugma and a Wooper. Guy's name is Primo if you want to look it up :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Let's move back to what starters you picked on these games :)

Chikorita for me! I named it Chikorika. C:

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I chose Totodile. I can't quite remember my thought process, but I really liked Squirtle/Blastoise in gen I, so I guess I wanted to continue the water starter trend in gen II. Plus, I thought Totodile looked cool. The water starter selection trend stuck, and I've gone with water on my main file in each generation ever since. I'll be picking up Totodile on Gold this time around, and might go with Cyndaquil on Silver (if I don't just use Silver for repeated challenge runs).

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • When I was young I chose Cyndaquil on Gold because Totodile-line looked the worse to me (And funnily they are my favourite Johto starter-line now) and in Crystal I named my character after that Chikorita person in the series (I forgot her name lol) and chose that.

This time it'll be Totodile!

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    When I first played Silver, my first starter was Cyndaquil (Fire starters for life!). Now, I just use the cloning glitch to get all three starters.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • When I first played Silver, my first starter was Cyndaquil (Fire starters for life!). Now, I just use the cloning glitch to get all three starters.

Ohyes I've seen those!
    Do you press A, B, Start and Select for the VC's restart?

Back