• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Salvation

To be saved.
Years
  • Does anyone know of a program or easy way to count EV's besides counting regularly, because im lazy. Thanks!
    (I didn't know where to put this so I put it here, sorry!)

Use a piece of paper with a pencil or a pen. Now don't lose that piece of paper, your EV counting is done.

Years
  • I need a moveset for my Gengar.
    His IV's are HP:24 Atk:31 Def:14 Sp.Atk:22 Sp.Def:31 Spd:24
    His current moveset is:
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Strength
    Dark Pulse
    His level is 79, currently being trained though.
    Any suggestions?

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • You can go for:
    Gengar @ Life Orb
    Nature: Timid
    Abilty: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Moveset:
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire] / Explosion

or

Gengar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Moveset:
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire] / Hypnosis

or

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Moveset:
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Pain Split
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Shadow Ball

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • How do you think this would go for a Lead Drifblim set?

431.png

Drifblim @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Aftermath
    Nature: Timid/Naive
    EVs: 252 SpA / 176 Spe / 80 Atk
    - Trick
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hypnosis/Explosion

The aim of this set would be to cripple other leads. The given EVs allow it to outspeed Aerodactyl with the Choice Scarf, and KO with Thunderbolt, same with Azelf but for Shadow Ball. It avoids Fake Out from Infernape and Ambipom, thanks to it's ghost typing, and stealing the sash can really prove helpful. Timid for Hypnosis, Naive for Explosion, and I guess if you run Timid, you could probably move the Atk EVs into HP.

Thoughts?

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Two questions and I apologize in advance for sounding so newbish (because I am!).

First question: Can you still effectively EV train a Pokemon who wasn't EV-trained before and simply only leveled up by in-game play without any previous regard to EVs? Is it worth it if you are looking to build a competitive team or should you just start off fresh with a 'new' Pokemon who hasn't been EV-trained before?

Second question: Exactly how do the IVs and EVs combine together along with the 'normal' possible stats to create the total stats? What I mean is, for example, if you bred a Gastly with perfect stats and then perfectly EV-trained him or her and maxed out as many stats as possible, how does this affect the total possible stat spread?

Marriland and some other sites show what is possible in regards to the max stats at level 100 for the various Pokemon. I guess what I am asking is how would IV breeding and EV training affect those stats.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2010
    which pokemon?

I need to know a sixth pokemon to complement my team

not sure how the first five rate, so feel free to let me know what you think of the first five, but if i were to stick with the first five, what would be a good pokemon to add to the team

GENGAR
    MAMOSWINE
    SCIZOR
    DRAGONITE
    TYRANITAR

im trying not to use legendaries btw

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • @ Kavii

1: You leveled it up in-game? By battling? It's got EVs on it unless you solely used Rare Candies. You'll have to remove those EVs using EV-reducing berries (can't remember them off the top of my head atm but you can easily google them) before you EV train it. If you want to use it competitively...check its IVs and nature. If either or both are crap, you're better off getting a better pokemon. PS: IVs can't be checked using IV calculators unless you know your pokemon's EVs. Plug information into calculator and voila!, it spits out IVs. If you don't know your pokemon's EVs, remove the EVs. Furthermore, the closer your pokemon is to level 100, the more accurate the IV calculator. Many people look for IV battles because it sets your pokemon to level 100. All you have to do is scribble down its stats and punch it into the calculator.

2: Well, you get max 510 EVs and out of that, only 508 can be used (aka 2 EVs are wasted). Max 252 EVs in one stat and 4 EVs add 1 stat point to said stat. Those EVs gained add onto your pokemon's base stats (serebii.net has base stat info I believe). 127 extra stat points to place where you want them? Yum! As for IVs, I think how that works is the IVs of your pokemon gets added to its base stats. So you can breed an additional 0-31 IVs to your pokemon's base stats. This is assuming I'm remembering correctly.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    @ Kavii

1: You leveled it up in-game? By battling? It's got EVs on it unless you solely used Rare Candies. You'll have to remove those EVs using EV-reducing berries (can't remember them off the top of my head atm but you can easily google them) before you EV train it. If you want to use it competitively...check its IVs and nature. If either or both are crap, you're better off getting a better pokemon. PS: IVs can't be checked using IV calculators unless you know your pokemon's EVs. Plug information into calculator and voila!, it spits out IVs. If you don't know your pokemon's EVs, remove the EVs. Furthermore, the closer your pokemon is to level 100, the more accurate the IV calculator. Many people look for IV battles because it sets your pokemon to level 100. All you have to do is scribble down its stats and punch it into the calculator.

2: Well, you get max 510 EVs and out of that, only 508 can be used (aka 2 EVs are wasted). Max 252 EVs in one stat and 4 EVs add 1 stat point to said stat. Those EVs gained add onto your pokemon's base stats (serebii.net has base stat info I believe). 127 extra stat points to place where you want them? Yum! As for IVs, I think how that works is the IVs of your pokemon gets added to its base stats. So you can breed an additional 0-31 IVs to your pokemon's base stats. This is assuming I'm remembering correctly.

I'm going to save your post so I can look at it later again if/when I need to. Thanks so much for the explanation on both accounts. It all makes sense the way you explained it to me - thank you! :)

All of my Pokemon who have been in my crew recently have all been leveled up in-game using battling so yes, they all have EVs on them but because I wasn't paying attention to EVs (much less IVs) at the time, I have no idea how many EVs they gained. I might be better off with breeding at this point.

I'm playing Soul Silver right now so I haven't got to the point where I have access to those berries yet (if Soul Silver even has those particular berries?), but I will keep that in mind.

A last quick question to make sure I'm understanding this right: So the IVs add on to the base stats... and the EVs add on top of it to fully max a stat (or stats) out?

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
    Years
  • advice on platinum team...

ty for the thread move i realized my mistake after i posted it.

Right now i am looking to put together my first team for wifi play.
    as of now the pokemon i am using that i think will likely be usable for my team are...

Roserade@rose incense
    Bashful
    Magical Leafs
    Giga Drain
    Sludge Bomb
    (still haven't decided on 4th move)

Starraptor@kings rock
    Serious
    Close Combat
    Brave Bird
    Roost
    Return

Lucario@fist plate / razor fang
    Brave
    Incredible Speed mebbe
    Close Combat
    Dragon Pulse
    Aura Sphere

Magmortar. @ ???
    Modest
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower
    Psychic
    Confuse Ray

Electivire@ ???
    Adamant
    Ice Punch
    Fire Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Giga Impact

Umbreon@???
    Naive
    Moonlight
    Sucker Punch
    Confuse Ray
    Dark Pulse

any advice on my movesets or items? Those are things i just haven't managed to research yet. Just some information for me to look over and see what I can work with as i've pretty much blown all my good tms. i'll be looking at the advice archives also but some personal experience or input would never hurt i think.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2013
    need help

MY friend and I have moved the fight to tomorrow rules our in our fight is no ledgendaries, no pokemon over lvl 36 and no more then 2 starter pokemon, his team consists of Meganium, Venasaur, Bellsprout, Golduck, Gyrados, Scyther. I need help deciding on a team and how i should train them. Were using fire red but we can use pokemon from kanto, johto, hoenn. So far im thinking as using hitmochan with its fire,ice,thunder punch and sky uppercut, and for fire pokemon so far i was thinking charizard and typhlosion. Plz message me if u can help.

Last edited:

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Hi. I'm just starting to get into EV/IV training and breeding, and was wondering how to build a good well structured team. My question is, what should a well structured team consist of, and how can you decide what Pokemon should be what? Just the basics of team building really, not reallyEV training, 'cause that is pretty straight forward I suppose. Thank you.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi. I'm just starting to get into EV/IV training and breeding, and was wondering how to build a good well structured team. My question is, what should a well structured team consist of, and how can you decide what Pokemon should be what? Just the basics of team building really, not reallyEV training, 'cause that is pretty straight forward I suppose. Thank you.
    Offense teams usually base on helping one (or two sometimes) Pokémon at succeeding on sweeping (or whatever role that Pokémon is being used for) the opposing team. Usually, you will want to use a lure, entry hazards, etc anything to weaken your Pokémon's counters. i.e. Gyarados + Tyranitar, both lure in each other's checks and can weaken their counters (in this case, bulky Waters), as well as having good type synergy. Then, use something that can defeat bulky Waters, so Rotom-A (specifically Cut to destroy Swampert), Zapdos, Celebi, etc. Once you have your core, you can build around it to help cover threats and the like.

In short, find a Pokémon to construct a team on, then help support by removing / weakening its counters and checks, as well as additional support if needed like Wish, Paralysis, etc.

For stall teams look here.

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
    Years
  • updated my advice request above. thats what i'm set on now just to fine tune it before i build it and waste a considerable amount of time on the breeding i'm doing lol...

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • updated my advice request above. thats what i'm set on now just to fine tune it before i build it and waste a considerable amount of time on the breeding i'm doing lol...

All those natures except for Magmortar and Vire are awful. Give Roserade Leaf Storm over Magical Leaf and Toxic Spikes as the fourth move, Sludge Bomb is kinda bad but it doesn't have many moves to choose from Focus Sash would be the best item for it.

Staraptor wants Life Orb or Leftovers.

Give Lucario either Special or Physical moves. Swords Dance/ES/Crunch/Close Combat if Physical, Vacuum Wave/Aura Sphere/Dragon Pulse/Dark Pulse if Special.

Magmortar is best as mixmag:

Fire Blast/Cross Chop/T-Bolt/Psychic or EQ
    84 Atk/172Spe/252SpAtk
    Naive Nature

Vire is fine but get rid of Giga Impact for Meditate.

Don't use that umbreon. http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/umbreon go here for ideas.

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
    Years
  • about the power up moves... do you really have time to use them in a match? i had a strong sensation one shots were the way to go from what i'd seen.

that umbreon strategy. disgusting. but not suited for my teams overall flow i think?

nonetheless ty for the advice thus far. i'll look into it and play around with it once i rebuild my stock of shards and bp.

Back