• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
  • Fangking, long time no see. Glad to see progress on Acanthite is continuing :) .

I am also using that technique for creating nighttime lights, and so far it works quite well for me; I am not experiencing that problem. I think what is causing the problem is that your event graphics are too big. How many events make up the lights in your screenshot? Try splitting them up (that's what I did - I use multiple light events per building and it works perfectly).

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • so in my quest to make egg hatching a manual process, I have made progress! but I'm also hopelessly lost.

so far I've got it so that instead of automatically hatching it, it comes up with a message saying "your egg is ready to hatch!" or whatever, and you actually have to go interact with a special egg hatcher thing to hatch it. this is where the problem comes in. I put a switch in the script so that you can't try to hatch it before it's hatchable, but I can't seem to get the event to interact with the hatching script. I figured I'd be able to just go 'script: pbHatch(egg)', which is what the original, automatic, hatching script said and it would just...do its thing, but clearly not!

this is the error I get when I do that, and uhh, I have no idea what it means.

Spoiler:

if anyone could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here :(

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • Fangking, long time no see. Glad to see progress on Acanthite is continuing :) .

I am also using that technique for creating nighttime lights, and so far it works quite well for me; I am not experiencing that problem. I think what is causing the problem is that your event graphics are too big. How many events make up the lights in your screenshot? Try splitting them up (that's what I did - I use multiple light events per building and it works perfectly).

Thank you for the advice, I think it'll work. The only issue with that is the larger number of events used might cause lag, especially in big cities :(

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • @SpawnHyuuga: You need more than 999 maps? That's kind of crazy...I like your green LD giraffe thing by the way...

Meh, I don't need more than 999 maps yet ;). If my game gets the proper attention once I get rolling I might though. I found a script called "CD Changer" that apparently let's you use an infinite amount of maps it just loads different maps via a virtual cd as you need them. At least thats how I deciphered it. Was a long time ago though... Anyways could you define 'LD'? Also for anyone interested feel free to take the graphic I made it myself in an animation program, but it was just for fun. The green giraffe thing is actually a semi-llama or so that's what they call it, but his official name is Bunchie. He's an internet meme, and he has a Piplup on his back. It was either Piplup or Mudkip. I didn't care though.

Anyways to keep on topic, even though my post began on topic I'm going to go find the script and see if it could be converted to Essentials?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    so in my quest to make egg hatching a manual process, I have made progress! but I'm also hopelessly lost.

so far I've got it so that instead of automatically hatching it, it comes up with a message saying "your egg is ready to hatch!" or whatever, and you actually have to go interact with a special egg hatcher thing to hatch it. this is where the problem comes in. I put a switch in the script so that you can't try to hatch it before it's hatchable, but I can't seem to get the event to interact with the hatching script. I figured I'd be able to just go 'script: pbHatch(egg)', which is what the original, automatic, hatching script said and it would just...do its thing, but clearly not!

this is the error I get when I do that, and uhh, I have no idea what it means.

Spoiler:

if anyone could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here :(
    Instead of using "egg," try pbHatch($Trainer.party[0]). This will hatch the first pokemon in your party. However, I need to do some more looking to figure out how to identify whether a pokemon is an egg or not, otherwise it hatches anything whether or not it's an egg.

EDIT (again): Make a conditional branch like this:
    Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].egg?
    Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].eggsteps<=1
    Script: pbHatch($Trainer.party[0])
    Else
    Text: This egg is not ready to hatch.
    Branch End
    Else
    Text: This is not an egg.
    Branch End

The eggsteps<=1 could be changed to = 0 since you said you changed yours to display a message instead of automatically hatching (mine would have hatched before I could try it if I did that)

@SpawnHyuuga: LD is Learning Disabled, used to refer to special children or people who act like special children.

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • Instead of using "egg," try pbHatch($Trainer.party[0]). This will hatch the first pokemon in your party. However, I need to do some more looking to figure out how to identify whether a pokemon is an egg or not, otherwise it hatches anything whether or not it's an egg.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it. Make a conditional branch like this:
    Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party[0].egg?
    Script: pbHatch($Trainer.party[0])
    Else
    Text: This is not an egg.
    Branch End

...omg, thank you so much! it works perfectly! :D

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • You're welcome. I edited my post by the way, since I forgot to make it check whether or not it was ready to hatch.

Awesome! I had it so that you couldn't even interact with the hatcher unless you had an egg that was ready to hatch, but I something like that makes the code even more neat. thanks again :)

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • @Kitsune: Thanks for elaborating on that for me. By chance, would you be interested in helping me with my project. I need a scripter or two and you seem like a really good guy!

This starter kit just keeps getting better and better! New scripts just about everyday from everyday users.

Does anyone have HG/SS sprites?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    @Kitsune: Thanks for elaborating on that for me. By chance, would you be interested in helping me with my project. I need a scripter or two and you seem like a really good guy!

This starter kit just keeps getting better and better! New scripts just about everyday from everyday users.

Does anyone have HG/SS sprites?
    Sure, just tell me what you need me to do. I'm still learning though, so I might not be as fast as others. I've worked with other languages, so I understand the logic pretty well, it's just the syntax and the method and class names that get me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2015
    Hey im back again and once again have a few quesions/requests
    1. how do you change the text placement in the pokemon summary, in the battle boxes when in a battle?
    2. Does anyone have HG/SS overworlds formated for rgp maker?

O and also trainer battle sprites reformated for RMXP

Last edited:

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • Alright Kitsune. I'll keep in touch with you then by PM. If you want we have a website, but I don't know if I can share it here.

@Voc: Preferably I need battle sprites and trainers. I already have Overworlds of Pokemon from Help-14 which he included with his Caterpillar script.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Years
  • I'm trying to make special trades, where you can trade a hard to get Pokemon for a really unique Pokemon...like three Scythers for a Pikachu that knows Surf. Anyways this is what I have so far:

def pbSurfPikachu(pokemonIndex,trainerName)
    myPokemon=$Trainer.party[pokemonIndex]
    opponent=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerName,0)
    opponent.setForeignID($Trainer)
    yourPokemon=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(PBSpecies::PIKACHU,40,opponent)
    yourPokemon.name="PUKA"
    yourPokemon.obtainMode=2 # obtained in trade
    yourPokemon.obtainMap=$game_map ? $game_map.map_id : 0
    yourPokemon.ballused=23 #cherish ball
    yourPokemon.ability=PBAbilities::SWIFTSWIM
    yourPokemon.moves[0]=PBMoves::SURF
    yourPokemon.moves[1]=PBMoves::VOLTTACKLE
    yourPokemon.moves[2]=PBMoves::THUNDER
    yourPokemon.moves[3]=PBMoves::SUBSTITUTE
    $Trainer.party[pokemonIndex]=yourPokemon
    end
    Neither the ability nor the moves are working and are causing the game to crash so I doubt I'm using them right. If anyone knows the correct way to use them please share. Also I am unsure how to set the nature and gender.

Any assistance I can get would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    Hey Guys
    Anyone know how to animate sprites pokemon battles??
    I got Luka´s tutorial but it doesn´t work in my project
    please, can anyone help me??
    I have a lot of time trying :(

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'm trying to make special trades, where you can trade a hard to get Pokemon for a really unique Pokemon...like three Scythers for a Pikachu that knows Surf. Anyways this is what I have so far:

Neither the ability nor the moves are working and are causing the game to crash so I doubt I'm using them right. If anyone knows the correct way to use them please share. Also I am unsure how to set the nature and gender.

Any assistance I can get would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Make a trade in which you give a regular Pikachu. Then immediately find that Pikachu in the player's party and change its stats/moves. The party index of that Pikachu will be the same as the index of the Pokémon you traded for it (this index is stored in a global variable as part of the trade).

Years
  • Make a trade in which you give a regular Pikachu. Then immediately find that Pikachu in the player's party and change its stats/moves. The party index of that Pikachu will be the same as the index of the Pokémon you traded for it (this index is stored in a global variable as part of the trade).
    I did that at first, both will work the same though. Mainly I just wanted to know syntax on setting moves, nature, and ability (because everything I've tried hasn't worked yet).

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I did that at first, both will work the same though. Mainly I just wanted to know syntax on setting moves, nature, and ability (because everything I've tried hasn't worked yet).
    The syntax you've got should work (i.e. for moves and ability). I'm just not sure why you'd make a separate def for this, when you could use the standard trading method and put in a few lines in the event afterwards modifying it. Seems simpler to me, is all (since it's a one-off thing).

Since you mentioned crashing, find the exact line that causes the problem (it's mentioned in the error message). I'm not certain, but it might be the naming line - try using "yourPokemon.name=_INTL("PUKA")" instead.

As for changing the gender, both of these are interpretations of the personal ID of that Pokémon. Use "setGender(female)", where "female" is either "true" or "false" (to make it female or male respectively). It's used just like "name" and "moves" as you've been using.

Changing the nature is more involved, and would most likely require creating a new def in PokeBattle_Pokemon (like setGender has). Remember that you can change a Pokémon's nature in debug mode; this is the code that does so:
    Code:
       when 4 # Set Nature
        commands=[]
        25.times do |i|
         commands.push(PBNatures.getName(i))
        end
        [email protected](_INTL("Choose a nature."),commands)
        if command>=0
         oldgender=pkmn.gender
         2000.times do
          pkmn.personalID&=0xFFFF0000
          pkmn.personalID|=rand(65536)
          pkmn.personalID-=pkmn.personalID%25
          pkmn.personalID+=command
          break if pkmn.gender==oldgender
         end
         pkmn.calcStats
         if pkmn.nature!=command
           pbDisplay(_INTL("The Pokémon's nature couldn't be changed."))
         else
           pbDisplay(_INTL("The Pokémon's nature was changed."))
           pbRefreshSingle(pkmnid)
         end
        end
    Tidy that up, make it accept an input of a nature's name, and that should do it. This code was taken from PokemonScreen, which displays the party screen.

Years
  • I've decided not to mess with the nature...it really isn't that important compared to the rest. There are still two errors I'm getting.
    The first is with the abilities. It crashes upon running the script:
    ---------------------------
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Exception: NoMethodError
    Message: Section127:210:in `pbSurfPikachu'undefined method `ability=' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x907c910>
    ***Full script:
    pbChoosePokemon(1,2,
    proc {|poke|
    !poke.egg? and
    poke.species==PBSpecies::SCYTHER
    })
    pbSurfPikachu(pbGet(1),"VIKTOR")
    p=pbGetPokemon(1)
    p.ballused=23
    Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
    (eval):6:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1583:in `eval'
    Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
    Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:191:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:196:in `update'
    Scene_Map:96:in `update
    Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
    Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:191:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:196:in `update'
    Scene_Map:96:in `update'
    Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:107:in `update'
    Scene_Map:63:in `main'

The second is with the moves, it runs that part of the script without crashing, but once you go to the menu to check on its moves the move screen is blank and it returns this:
    ---------------------------
    Exception: NoMethodError
    PokemonSummary:480:in `drawPageThree'
    PokemonSummary:477:in `each'
    PokemonSummary:477:in `drawPageThree'
    PokemonSummary:804:in `pbScene'
    PokemonSummary:743:in `loop'
    PokemonSummary:807:in `pbScene'
    PokemonSummary:824:in `pbStartScreen'
    PokemonScreen:820:in `pbSummary'
    PokemonScreen:1272:in `pbPokemonScreen'
    PokemonScreen:1181:in `loop'