• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

....Snowstorm Pokemon? What?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What Pokemon species/classifications make no sense or feel ridiculous/funny to you?
    I still can't see why Sandshrew is considered a "mouse" Pokemon. I also find Happiny's to be very silly, "Play House Pokemon?" what lmfao
    also lol @ Rattata being called the mouse Pokemon too when it clearly has "Rat" in its name. That will never not be hilarious and ridiculous to me.

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Thundurus is the Bolt Strike Pokémon yet does not learn Bolt Strike.

Blastoise is the Shellfish Pokémon, apparently.

EleSquirrel and EleFish are weird Categories, for sure.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Also, just now I realized Zangoose is called the Cat Ferret Pok?mon. I can sorta understand "Cat", but "Ferret"?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Just be glad that didn't call Sandshrew and Sandslash "lizard" Pok?mon. That's what the Japanese word for pangolin translates. I imagine that "mouse" may have came from the Japanese word for porcupine (needle mouse), though this works better for Sandslash than Sandshrew.

I think Happiny's "Play House" classification comes from the fact that it pretends to be a mother (carrying around a rock in place of an egg) like a child playing House. Still a bit of an odd choice though.

As for Rattata and Raticate being "mouse" Pok?mon, it's because the Japanese word for rat and mouse are the same.

Also, just now I realized Zangoose is called the Cat Ferret Pok?mon. I can sorta understand "Cat", but "Ferret"?
    The Japanese word for mongoose literally translates "cat ferret." Same reason that Weedle is a "hairy bug" instead of a caterpillar.

- - -

One that particularly annoys me is Dunsparce's mistranslated "Land Snake" classification. Tsuchihebi can be translated as land snake, but the tsuchi in this case means hammer or mallet, referring to the Pok?mon's resemblance to a traditional Japanese mallet as well as the cryptid that inspired Dunsparce's design, Tsuchinoko (hammer's spawn). "Land Snake" never made sense to me since most snakes already live on the land.

Last edited:
    Back