• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Pokemon: Shadow League (First Draft)

Oathcrusher

Pokemon Ruruoni
Years
  • Chapter 1: Business as Usual
    The brigand's Pokeball flew straight and true, bursting open in a flash of light to reveal his partner in crime. "Maaachoookee" The creature yells, arms reaching already for where it thinks my neck will be. I duck under it and feel sausage-sized fingers close over me. I suddenly find myself realizing how much the name rings true. I unsheathe my daggers and jump, turning my momentum into a spin that takes me behind the enraged Pokemon. Hurling the daggers into it's back as I continue away from it, watching the blades bury themselves in blue flesh, I feel a slight twinge of remorse. But that Pokemon had made it's choice. The Shadow League had spoken. I spin and draw my sword. The trainer cries out in anger and humiliation and pulls a pair of lethal-looking trench knives onto his also admittedly meaty fists. We charge towards each other across the empty field. I close, bringing the point of my blade up so as to pass by his head. It darts in quickly as I pass him, making one neat incision on the side of the neck. I land on the far side of him, touching down and waiting in a ready crouch to see if another strike is necessary. Blood fountains from the cut. I got his artery just like I planned. He drops to the ground, and retches blood from between yellow teeth. I sheathe the unbloodied sword and walk over to the dying man. He glares up at me and pulls another blood-streaked Pokeball from his belt. "This.. Isn't over yet!!" I punch down with one open hand and his wrist snaps, dropping the Pokeball unopened on the ground. Then I pull my sword and hack it viciously once. The Pokeball fractures and shatters. Chrystaline shards and light issue forth and the keening wail of the Pokemon trapped inside dies out. Without being released, the destruction of the cage kills the creature inside. A disturbing but useful discovery. I take his third and final Pokeball, and shatter it, too. He cries out and drops to the ground. His life is ending more rapidly now. I simply turn and walk away.

Not bad for a day's work. I only had to fight one of his Pokemon, didn't have to call any of my friends out to help, and ended it all without a scratch. I am one of the Shadow Elite. The right hand of the dark sentinels that operate throughout the regions to maintain order. This group is known as the Shadow League. I am a hunter, a mercenary, and one of the world's foremost fighters. But that isn't all. To even be considered for the Shadow League, one has to first become a Pokemon Master. Of those elite few, the darker and more powerful are called on to join the League, and act as a brutal type of peacekeepers. Keeping the monsters, human and Pokemon alike, from threatening our nation. I laugh to myself. "Type", just the kind of thing a Pokemon trainer thinks about. My Pokemon trained with me daily, sparring, testing, always pushing ourselves to do and be better. To be ready for anything. The Shadow League alone holds the power to kill a Pokemon. Because of the intense mutation Pokemon underwent to be created, they cannot kill each other, or be killed through normal means. There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. Under certain conditions, any Pokemon can be taken down, but my sword, knives, and other weapons were made from a rare alloy developed, in secret, by a team of ex-Team Rocket and SilphCo scientists. They alone have the negating effect that counteracts a Pokemon's natural and elemental abilities. Handed down only to the Shadow Elite, I am one of 10 that hold the fabled Eternus Blades. Hopping on my motorcycle, I set myself for the cruise back to base. The trip back across the plains is uneventful enough. I get back to ShadowGym a little after dark, pulling slowly into the garage, trenchcoat blowing around my waist, opening a bit to reveal the six Pokeballs on my vest, crisscrossed belt with sword on my left hip and three daggers on my right. I knew I cut an imposing figure, riding through the heavy door with the last rays of sunset behind me. I actually slowed my trip a bit for it. I can be a tad melodramatic.

The only one "on deck" when I get back is Calcious, the woman in charge of maintaining our vehicles. She smiles as I pull my 'bike into its berth, and walks over to me. "Listen to that baby purr." She says as I hit the ignition stud and climb off. "She's a real beauty, Calci. I dunno what we'd do without you." She shakes her head. "Me either. I'd better rub her down and flush the sand out of her system. Nice entrance, by the way." I wink as I head for the main hall. "I aim to please, gorgeous." The door hisses shut behind me, and I walk slowly down the hall, the spurs jingling on the backs of my boots the only noise in the silent dimness. Someone asked why I wore them once. I had taken them from a sick bastard who was into using them on his Pokemon while riding. I told them it never hurt to have an extra weapon or two available. The truth was, I just liked the noise. Silence bothers me. I slid open the door to the debriefing room, and hit a button built into the table. The AI, Red, answered at once, materializing at the center of the table in a silent humming hologram. "What's up, Grey?" He asks. "I wanted to get the debriefing over with. I'm wiped out." I answer, seating myself at one of the 11 chairs around the table. "Sure," Red answers, promptly, his eyes flashing and several machines booting up around me, "Just let me set up the recording and transcription equipment. One sec… And.. There. Ready when you are." I sit forward in my chair, so that the mic can pick my voice out clearly. "Shadow Elite 7, Grey, on mission, "Dunes of Blood". Mission complete. Brigand Arrol the Red was found and eliminated, with minimal structural damage. As well as his three Pokemon. Class 3 Priority, piece of cake. No Pokemon of my own utilized or injured, returned to base at sundown of Fall 20." Red glanced my way as he saved the report to our database and called up Arrol's warrant. "You know they hate it when you give such a lackluster report, Grey." I shrug. "Yeah, well, short of outlining the battle for them, there isn't much to tell. It was a class 3, Red. I eat those for breakfast." "Yeah, Yeah." Red crosses out the warrant and stamps "Complete" across the file, attaching my report to the synopsis. "Alright," he turns and looks at me from his diminuitive place in the center of the table. "It looks like we're all done here, then. Will there be anything else?" I stand and stretch, "Nah, I'll see ya tomorrow, little buddy." He grins, "Alright, then. G'night, Grey." He fades out and the lights dim again. Machines shutting down until all is quiet again. I turn and walk back to my room, past the other Elites' rooms. They're all asleep or away on missions. We're kept pretty busy, anymore. I throw open my door, and shut it behind me, stripping down and heading to the shower.

After I've gotten cleaned up and changed, I head out again, taking my six Pokeballs with me, down to the first subterranean level. The whole area is a habitat for Pokemon. A biome for training and relaxation. I throw out the six balls, stating clearly, "Come out, everyone. Mission's over." My Pokemon take their time appearing, it's been a long few days for them, too. No one likes a stakeout. The waiting is boring, the constant attention to all surrounding details wears on your nerves, and anticipation of the hunt keeps the mind running at Extremespeed. It's gotta be a lot worse when you're stuck in a Pokeball. Scyther is out and ready first. He stretches his arms and back, sharp teeth glisten as he yawns loudly, then heads off for the forest area to catch some sleep. I get the point. For all the use he has as a sparring partner when I practice my swordplay, he can't really cut loose and give 100 percent. And I hadn't let him out this run to play. He is definitely one of my most energetic partners, Ripclaw, but energy needs an outlet, and I can't help but feel I let him down this time. I make up my mind to give them all a bigger role in the next run. Gyrados is next, which I appreciate, because it is dark in the habitat, and his is easily the greatest source of light at being summoned. He bends low to examine me in the flash of the other Pokeballs, and nuzzles me with his snout. No mean feat for a water dragon big enough to cause tsunamis with one good thrash. "I'm not hurt, Squallheart. It was all over faster than I could summon you. Don't worry, my friend. I know you're always looking out for me. Now go get some rest. No more training today." Squall makes a low humming growl and slides off to the lake. Blaziken and Nidoking, Blaze and Rexis to me, appear together and stand before me. They never leave me without orders, no matter how exhausted they are. "Go on, boys. Get some shuteye. Training might be a little late tomorrow, so take it easy." They glance at me, then at each other, then turn and go in separate directions. I grin and watch them go.

Blaze was my first Pokemon, back in Hoenn, where I grew up. He was just a Torchic back then, and I was just a kid that dreamed of being the best. Funny how time changed things. Rexis came to me after I broke up a Pokemon fighting ring in Johto some years back. A bunch of ex-Rockets had thought it up to make money, and Nidoking had been the youngest gladiator. He won every fight they put him into, by any means necessary, and still had the scars to prove it. I had gone berserk. That was back when it was just me, Blaze, and Claw. I had been new to the horrors that lay smirking beneath the surface of our happy world, and seeing that Nidoking covered in wounds, knowing he couldn't die and wasn't allowed to faint, that ticked me off. After the Rockets and their Pokemon were dead, Rexis moved to stand before me, bleeding in a dozen places from the Arcanine of one of the men I had attacked. I couldn't leave him. And in return, he never left me. Skarmory slides her wings out with a metallic 'schnickt' as she emerges, flapping twice and lifting into the air before settling next to me. Razor nuzzles my hand and I stroke her under the chin absently, waiting for the last member of my team. Finally, Luna appears. Luna, an Absol, was the newest Pokemon on my team. She was the only female besides Razor, and she among all of my Pokemon, trusted me the least. She obeyed, as all Pokemon will when you're a champion, but she was still terrified of me. She sits stiffly, gazing at me with wary eyes. I move forward to kneel in front of her, Razor following. "Luna, please, I'm not here to hurt you. I had to take you away from that place. You and I both know how superstitious and foolish those other people are of you. Even the professors have seen fit to name your kind the disaster Pokemon. I know better. I know it hurts to be so powerful, and not be able to control it. To hurt the innocent of both humanity and Pokemon, and I know you blame yourself. But what you were doing was suicide. I gave my oath and my life to helping heal our world by purging the darkness." Luna's head drops, but I lift her chin gently and look into her eyes. "And you know something, my friend? I see no darkness in you. I won't let such a beautiful creature sacrifice herself to the darkness, not even for her own self-loathing. Now Razor will show you where you can get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow." We both ignore the tears welling in Absol's crimson eyes. She turns to Skarmory and growls softly, stepping back from me and turning to disappear into the habitat. Razor looks at me softly and I kiss her on the forehead. "Take care of Luna, sister. She needs time and comfort, for now." Razor leaves, Luna trailing behind and glancing back at me, once, as they reach the treeline. We ignore the tears in my eyes, too.

After my team has faded from sight, I turn and head back up to my room. I turn on the ligt, bathing the place in a calm blue glow. It's spartan, a military-style cot with a small pillow and single blanket rests in the corner. A locker and workstation by the door for my gear, a trunk and chest at the foot of the cot for all my belongings, and a small closet in the back next to the eating area and laundry machines. I slip my vest and coat, along with my clothes, into the machine and hit the stud. Once they've begun to wash, I move back to the refresher to clean up. After a shower and a quick meal, I sit down at the workbench and clean my sword and daggers. Eternus blades, of course, won't dull or rust, but I need the simple act of cleaning and polishing them, it's like meditation. After they're all squared away, sheaths rubbed down and oiled to get the sand off, I replace them in the locker and collapse on my cot, thinking about Luna. I wish I had never been forced to do what I did. I'm already reliving it in a dream before my eyes have fully closed.

Chapter 2: Shadows of the Past
    The air on the hilltop where we are standing is cool and crisp, damp with the onset of spring rain. Blaze looks up at the cloudy sky irritably before snorting and settling into a low crouch. We'd been hired by the residents of a small coast town called Water Ridge to stop a malicious Pokemon from destroying the place. They described it as a four-legged figure that formed out of the mist with a large dagger of bone to frighten livestock and villagers who dared to venture onto the countryside. They claimed to have successfully driven the creature off twice. Once with a local Arcanine, and once with an actual mob of angry townspeople. When I asked why they didn't just let the Arcanine continue to stand guard at night, his owner informed me that this Pokemon had been found the morning after the confrontation with it's right front leg broken, trapped in a Diglett hole. It would never be able to face the trial of a night-stalking monster again. This interests me, but I keep it to myself and simply tell the people of Water Ridge that I will handle it. My team is scattered all around the town. Razor and Squallheart are handling the coastline, since the water is Squallheart's domain anyway, and Razor is my skyfighter. Rexis is standing guard at the main entrance of the town, as a last line of defense. I put him there as much for their benefit as his, because the creature they described sounds fast and tough. Rexis isn't a big player in the speed game, but he's by far the toughest, so defending a position is easy for him. Plus, the citizenry of Water Ridge need to see that they aren't being abandoned, that they are safe. Suddenly, the hair on the back of my arms stands up, and I shiver. Seconds later, an eerie howl echoes around us. The mist grows thicker, and the trees make it hard to place exactly where the creature is. There's a crash and several sharp ringing blows follow, then a tree at the edge of my vision snaps off and splinters to the ground. I hear Ripclaw bellow a challenge from within, and a shape launches itself from the wreckage back into the trees. "There it is, Blaze. We'd better back Claw up before he wipes out the rest of the forest, too!" Blaziken nods at me and we break cover, sprinting towards the fray. I hit the fallen tree at a full sprint and kick off in a spin, hands dropping to draw dagger and sword. Blaze launches past me, joining Ripclaw in a fight too fast to follow. It is then that I realize our foe is an Absol. A bitterly sharp horn rises almost a foot from it's shaggy mane. The Absol weaves in and out of incoming attacks, deflecting what it can't dodge with the blade on it's head or the wicked claws on it's paws. It quickly gives ground under the joint onslaught of my Blaziken and Scyther. Something isn't right. I study the battle more closely, sheathing my Eternus Blades. Yes! Right there. And again, and a third time, Absol has a perfect opening for a counterattack, but won't take it. Then Claw fouls up. He swings too hard, and when Absol ducks, the force of the blow throws Claw into Blaze, tangling them up just long enough for Absol to disengage. It turns and bolts for the clearing, and the town of Water Ridge. "Blaze, Ripclaw! Return!" I hurl their Pokeballs, and they meet them in midfall. I am already moving when the balls return to me. Clipping them to my vest, I continue at a full sprint in pursuit of the Absol.

I come out of the forest just behind the creature. No one said a Pokemon Master can't be an athlete, too. I raise two fingers to my lips and shrill a high whistle. A returning cry meets it from above me. "SCAR!!" Razor dropps in a fast dive behind me, smoothly catching me as I leap, flying low and fast to race the frantic Absol towards the village gates. "Rexis! Don't let that Absol in!" Nidoking has already seen the lithe Pokemon streaking across the field, and he's ready for it. With a mighty roar he charges forward and meets the creature a dozen meters before the gate. It leaps and I saw that it's horn has become shadowed and sparks with dark power. Shadow Claw. This Absol isn't playing a defense game anymore. Unfortunately for Absol, neither is Rexis. Rexis jumps up to meet it midair. No small feat for a Pokemon that massive, but this isn't any Nidoking. Rex punches out as he comes up, snapping Absol's head up and back. The Shadow Claw flickers out as Absol loses focus. Then Rex grabs Absol by a paw and spins once, vertically, hurling the stunned Pokemon to the ground at full strength. A percussive 'Boom' rolls out over the night. Rex lands between the fallen Pokemon and the gate. He throws his head back and roars again. "Enough, Rex!" I call, more curious then angry. The Absol struggles to rise, crying out in a high-pitched voice. Plaintive. Wounded and scared. I actually stop dead as I realized that this Absol is a female. Most female Absol's horns don't develop like this. An Absol's horn grows in proportion to it's immense psychic power. The bigger the horn, the more trouble an Absol has with keeping it's power in check, and the more pain that Absol experiences by trying. It attempts to move again towards Water Ridge, but Rexis is having none of that. A heavy foot stomps the Absol back to the ground and holds it there.

Absol is too weak to struggle. She cries out again, a plaintive mewling sound that tears at my heart. No savage creature or feral Pokemon makes a sound like that. An answering scream comes from a young boy in the crowd, who tries to push his way out and run towards Rexis. "Leave her alone!" The little boy yells as his parents stop him and begin to pull him away. "Luna didn't do anything! She'd never hurt a Rattatta! She just wants to see me!! Let me go! Luna! Lunaaa!!" A horrible thought crosses my mind. I turn and raise two more Pokeballs. "Razor, Rexis, Return. Now." They do so immediately, and I clip the balls to my vest, making it four. Squallheart is still patrolling the waters outside of Water Ridge, I'll worry about him later. I turn and walked to stand between the fallen Absol and the villagers, and speak in an authoritative tone. "Let that boy come here." His parents immediately raise voices of protest, but I cut them off with a sharp look and slide my Eternus Blade clear of it's sheath with a menacing hiss. The crowd goes silent. I lower the blade to the injured Pokemon's unprotected throat. "I swear to you all, if she makes any threatening moves, I'll kill her where she lies." I glance at the Absol, no, Luna, to make sure she's paying attention. She understands, though her gaze kept drifting to the boy. He yells and pulls free of the stunned crowd. The boy runs straight at me and begins pummeling my legs and stomach with tiny hands, crying and terrified. "Don't you hurt Luna, or I swear I'll.. I'll.." He turns and runs to the Absol, dropping and throwing his arms around her neck. "She's mine! She's my Pokemon! I found her out there starving and alone and I gave her food! I made her happy again and we played together! She's.. She's my best friend and she only came here to see me!" Luna struggles to raise her head. The boy lets go and pulls back a little to look in her eyes. She slowly leans up to the little boy's face and the blade on her head moves for the boy's eyes. The boy's mother screams and his father jumps forward to kick the downed creature away. I spin and plant a hand on his chest, shoving him back to fall on the ground in the direction he'd come from. The Absol had used the very tip of her horn to wipe the tears from the little boy's eyes. I can see the drops glistening in the overcast twilight. Luna then nuzzles the boy gently with the other side of her face. Her eyes are closed and so are his. In that moment there is nothing and no one else except for those two. They are in their own world where nothing can ever touch them. In an instant I know what should happen next.

I kneel down next to the little one. "What's your name, son?" He sniffles as he stroked Absol's charred and hacked fur, and brushes the earth from her mane. "My name's Shinta. And I'm not your son." I smile softly and speak in a low tone so that the others behind us won't hear me. "I can see now that she's not a bad Pokemon at all, Shinta. And you aren't a bad boy for taking care of her. Of course she loves you. And you're going to be a strong trainer one day. I can tell just by your name." He looks up at me, confused. "Shinta. It means, 'Little Blade'" With that I turn and stand to address the crowd. The boy's father has also stood up and advances on me. Poking me hard in the chest, he gestures angrily at the boy and Absol behind me. "What the hell is this? We paid you good money to kill that monster, and instead you let it walk right into our home? You let it attack my little boy? Do your job, you mercenary scum!" I hear the murmuring of the people behind him, and my heart sinks a little. I should have known. I try to reason with him loudly, so that the whole village can hear my argument. "this Absol is no threat to you or anyone else in this town. She only cares for Shinta, and she would doubtless die before she allowed any harm to befall him or his home." I step forward and pin the man's soul with my gaze. I have to try. "That Pokemon has chosen your Shinta as a partner, to share it's life with him, to protect him, to grow with him. Your son is going to be a powerful Pokemon trainer one day. Maybe even a master. And this Absol can sense it, hell, I can sense it." The man sputters and turns red. "An Absol?! I've heard the Professors speak of Absols. The Disaster Pokemon, the Messengers of Doom. An evil wind follows an Absol, and it would bring nothing but bloody ruin to our town if it lived here. It's injured our village protector, it's scared everyone so badly that they don't dare leave their homes, it's even brainwashed my son AND the sellsword bastard that I hired to wipe it's miserable existence off of this world! My son will NEVER train a Pokemon so evil. No one could love such a monster, even if they wanted to." Shinta sobs. The man, whom I now know must be the mayor of Water Ridge as well, if he contacted the Shadow League, speaks over my shoulder to the boy. His frosty gaze stays settled on me. "Shinta! Get away from that creature. This man is going to take it out of our lands once and for all." Shinta cries out in anguish and charges at his father in a blind, desperate rage, swinging childish fists and yelling, but the mayor simply grabs the boy by his shirt and throws him backwards into the crowd, where his mother catches and holds him. She looks scared but stern, and refuses to let Shinta budge. His sobs punctuate the still air as the mayor of Water Ridge and I stare at each other.

Rain begins to fall, dropping from the sky as if it can cleanse this whole town of it's fear and hate. The mayor decides he was done with the staring contest and breaks eye contact. He reaches for the blade in my hand and tries to step in on the injured Absol. "If you can't hold up your end of the contract, filth, I'll do it myself." He grasps the hilt and tries to wrench the Eternus Blade from my hand, to swing it down on the wounded Absol's unprotected throat. But the blade doesn't move. He spins round on me, frustrated, but my gaze isn't on him, anymore. I look straight up into the growing storm. The tears I can never shed indistinguishable from the raindrops pattering across my face, gunmetal eyes taking in the growing storm's beauty. He stops. "It's Gray." I murmur. He wrenches on my sword arm again. "What did you just say??"Again it refuses to budge. A single rivulet of water trickles down the length of the exposed blade to drip harmlessly onto the Absol's neck. It, no, SHE, shivers. "My name." I speak softly, but it is the calm before the storm, a definite do-not-push-any-further tone. "My name is not filth. It's Gray." The mayor is really getting furious now. He shoves me a half step to my right, reaching again, for one of my daggers this time. "Well, I'll be sure to remember that when I tell the League what a good-for-nothing failure of an operative you've turned out to be, Mister Gra-"

I slide right and punch the hilt of my sword down across his grasping hand before he can finish his statement. The dull thud of alloy striking bone sharpens to a 'crack' as a bone in his wrist gives. He falls to his knees, but I grab the front of his shirt. And, just as he did to Shinta, I lift him off the ground and throw him down a few feet away, placing myself between him and Luna again. Before he can even inhale, the cold, sharp bite of an Eternus sword is riding his adam's apple. My anger is leaking out of me now. As if I were a furnace, radiating heat. All at once the four Pokeballs on my vest glow and flash open, solidifying at once into my four Pokemon. Razor stands low and spreads her wings over the injured Absol protectively. Blaze and Ripclaw stand on either side of me, staring attentively down at the prostrate man. Claw's claws glint in the dark light and Blaze's wrists ignite in warning. Steam hisses up into the cool evening air. Rex towers up behind me, an impenetrable wall of living armor and weapon. They all reacted to my feelings and summoned themselves. My friends, my guardians, my team. A roar sounds from over the town, and seven and a half meters of extremely miffed water dragon come sailing up from the water line, over the town, to land in a massive coil around my company. Effectively separating my forces from the people of Water Ridge. I hear a man gasp from the crowd. "That's easily twenty-five meters!" I grin dangerously. There is no team in the world like mine. I raise my voice but stay focused on the fallen mayor. "Squallheart, keep them away from us. The man and I are having a chat." Squall snarls and spins to fix his gaping maw and lambent eyes on the now-terrified mob. Perhaps unsurprisingly, nobody moves to aid the mayor. My eyes narrow. "I'm going to use small words to explain this to you. And you're going to pay very close attention. My name is Gray. I am one of the seven Shadow Elite. I am a three-time reigning Pokemon master. I am one of the most deadly combat experts in all of the regions you can think of, and a few you can't. I am one of ten humans deemed worthy of the fabled Eternus Blades, which, by the way, it is an automatic death penalty to try and take from a Shadow Elite member, in EVERY region. You don't get to tell the Shadow League anything, because I am officially scrubbing this mission. Wiping all record of it. We were never here. Keep your damn money. Basically," I raise a foot and plant it firmly on the mayor's windpipe, cutting off his emerging retort, "I am the last person on this PLANET that you want to make an enemy out of." I let off of his throat and step back, lowering the shimmering blade to my side. He raises himself slowly to sit, legs splayed, cradling his broken wrist against his chest. He stares at me with wide eyes. I continue, voice rising to reach the others. "And YOU, sir, are a fool. Your fear and anger are choking this town, and your son will have his heart broken tonight BECAUSE OF YOU." I look up at Gyrados. "Squall, move back. Clear a path." Squall writhes silently around so that a gap between me, the mayor, and his people appears. I nudge the still sitting man with my boot. "Get the hell out of my sight. And if I ever hear your name again, I'll be back. And I promise on the void itself, I will do more than break your wrist. I will show you how terrifying and brutal this world men like you have created can really be." He crawls away from me as best he can on three limbs before shuffling to his feet and scurrying towards his wife and son.

"Shinta!" My voice silences the crowd again. The boy looks at me from within his mother's confining arms. "Come here, please." The mother's eyes flash, but she lets the boy go, grudgingly, and he moves to stand before me. I sheathe my blade and kneel to look into his eyes. He is angry, and hurt, and scared. But not towards me. I turn and look at my Pokemon. "It's gonna be okay, everyone. Thank you for always being here when I need you. I can handle the rest." My voice raises again. "Return!" As one, they all flash back into their Pokeballs, leaving just me, Shinta, and Luna standing in the field. I turn back to Shinta. "Shinta. I'm afraid I can't let Luna stay here." Luna immediately tries to stand and growls menacingly at me, trying to return to the boy's side, but she's too weak, and the growl dies in her throat as she falls panting to the ground. The rain keeps falling, trying to cover this tragic scene in it's soothing embrace. Shinta walks slowly to the exhausted Absol and falls over her, holding her tight and whispering in her ear. Absol manages a soft croon and rubs her face snugly against the young boy's shoulder. He sits like that for minutes, holding her. I let them have their moment, watching the crowd impassively. My hand rests like a promise of wrath reborn on the pommel of my sword. Soon, a small hand nudges me from behind. I look down to see Shinta reaching up to give me something. It's a smooth, black, lavishly decorated pokeball. A luxury ball. "I'd been saving every cent I made since I first met Luna.." Shinta is strong. He is trying with all his might not to cry again. "This was going to be for her. But you're right. She can't stay here. Dad will.. Dad and the other men would.." He sniffs angrily and swipes at his eyes with a hand covered in dirt and burnt fur. "She deserves a gift like this. She's, she will always be my best friend." Luna begins to realize what we're doing and struggles to rise, the growl returning. Shinta won't look at her. He pushes the luxury ball into my hand. "Do it! Use this! Get her somewhere she can be free, do for her what I can't! Promise me you'll take care of her! Promise!" the tears won't stop, but we both pretend it's the rain. I close my hand over his. "We'll do it together, Shinta. And.. I'm proud of you, son." We walk to where the Absol has struggled into a crouch and wails desperately at Shinta. She is still wailing when we touch the ball to her, and the wail echoes over the field as she disappears into the light. I slowly withdraw my hand and the ball from Shinta, clipping it onto my vest with the other five. It feels strange to have a full team again. Ever since.. No, not now. I bury the thought deep and turn to regard Shinta. His shoulders heave gently in the falling rain. When I kneel again, he runs into my arms and wraps his around my neck. I hold him while he cries. Poor kid, so brave in the face of heartbreak. I want to tell him that it'll all be fine, that it'll work out for the better, one day, but I can't. He deserved better than this, and there's nothing I can do that I haven't just done. To him, or to Luna. We stay there for several more minutes, and by the time he pulls away, the crowd has died down, content to see that their vaunted menace is leaving them. Only the mayor, his wife, and a handful of sailors are left, but no one rushes us. Shinta looks at me for a timeless moment, and I am forced to watch his eyes as the child inside them dies. He turns and walks slowly to where his mother and father wait, and I turn without another word and head back for the forest, where I left my 'bike. There was nothing I could have said. There were no words. Just the rain. A thunder clap booms and the dream is gone.

Chapter 3: Building Bonds
    I roll off of my cot and stretch. Walk to the mirror and examine the man looking back at me. Man. That's a bit of a stretch. I'm only 26, after all, but in this world, you age fast or you don't really age at all. I look at the sterling eyes peering back at me, and ignore the flash of Shinta's eyes that pops out of my head. Yes, his and mine share the same jaded, dead quality, now. But while his eyes had looked like ice, cold and unyielding, my own looked like steel. Inhuman, unnatural. I had gained a considerable tan over the years, and through it the numerous white lines of scars scattered around my arms and torso showed vividly. These bore silent testament to the price of being the best. My platinum blond hair fell lazily over my shoulders to the small of my back. It was a source of great humor to the other members of the shadow elite. The sheer impraticality of having long hair in a fight seemed overwhelming. I enjoyed it though. I open a cabinet and draw out a red length of red fabric, tying my hair back in a tight ponytail. The ribbon was a trophy, taken off of Koga from Kanto after I was called to put an end to his tenuous involvement with Team Rocket administration. Koga had been a friend for many years before I took the assignment, and a training partner. I wore it to train, as a sign of commitment to facing any foe when the line was blurring. I pull my now-clean clothes from the machine and lay them on the cot. Donning a black training gi from the trunk by the bed, I dress and head out. I grab some breakfast in the cantina. I'm still apparently the only one in Shadowgym, so I pack my meal up and head for the stairs.

Laying out my breakfast by the lake, I nod lazily at Squallheart, who's sitting under the small waterfall to wake himself up. "G'morning, pal. Sleep alright?" Squallheart cuts loose with a deafening roar and swims to the edge of the water, showering me with droplets of ice-cold water. "Hey, hey, knock it off, buddy!" I laugh, shielding the basket of food. "I have to eat this, you know." He spies the food, and immediately drops his head to rest on the ground in front of me, gazing at it and me. "Oh, you mooch." I reach down into the admittedly large stash of food, and throw a large link of sausage up into the air. He snaps at it and gulps, then settles back to watch the magic basket again. I shake my head in disbelief. "I swear, man, I dunno where you put it all. That would have been enough to fill me up." Razor flies down, cawing a greeting and settling at my back. I raise a hand over my shoulder in greeting. A heavy metallic head drops heavily into it. The weight of her almost knocks me over. Almost. "Geez, Razor, be easy with me. I bruise easy, remember?" The look she gives me makes me laugh again. She isn't buying it. I give her a share of my breakfast too, which she takes and steps back, settling on the ground to gnaw contentedly. I glance around, curious. "So where's Luna at, girl?" Razor doesn't look at me, but tilts her head slightly towards some bushes about ten feet to my right. Ah, she's watching me from hiding. Razor could be very tactful when she wanted to be. I am immediately glad I put her in charge of acquainting our new friend to our ways. I shrug, "Ah, well. I was gonna give her this." Lifting a plate of delicious meats out of the basket and placing it behind me, by Razor. She slides over to create room for our advent stalker. I see Squallheart's eyes lock on the plate. Slowly he begins to inch his way around towards it. "Hey there, Squall. Whatcha doing?" He stops and slides back again, guiltily. I laugh at the ashamed look on his massive face, and throw him the other sausage I had brought for him. "Come on now, you know I take care of all of you as best I can." He growls happily and devours the second sausage. "So, any good?" I ask him, chewing down the one small sandwich I had made myself. He growls appreciatively and belches, bathing the air above my head with blue flame. "Oh, right! We have to work on your Dragon Rage accuracy today." He wriggles in place. Squall loved to train. All of my friends did. Speaking of my friends, I turn. "So where are the others?" Squall immediately raises to his full height, over 4 meters, and points towards the clearing in the woods. Razor snorts from her meal and looks that way as well. I get up, taking the half-full basket with me, and walk to the clearing. I hear them before I see them, the grunts and cries of triumph, and the heavy thuds and ringing of fighting. I don't hurry my pace at all. I get it now.

I reach the cleared area and approach the bench and weapon rack that stand nearby. It appears to be Blaze and Claw against Rex, the two of them weaving in and out of each other in a near constant flurry of timed strikes. Rex gives no ground. His horn and spikes give him more than enough points of contact to stop the two, but they score several hits on him. Ever since the Water Ridge debacle, Blaze and Ripclaw have been working constantly on their teamwork. I know they don't hold it against Luna, but they still felt like they let me down, and until they're satisfied, they'll keep working on it. This is one of the many reason I love all of my Pokemon so much. They are all fighters, and they would improve daily even if I wasn't here to guide them. I can tell by the heavy breathing and sheen of sweat on their brows that this has been going on for hours already. Probably since it was light enough to spar. I let them go until they reach a pause. Rex punches out, stopping Blaze's strike mid-punch, and turns Scyther's blade aside with a tilt of a shoulder spike. Then, spinning, he uses his heavy tail to sweep both of their legs out from under them. They collapse in a heap, and Rex steps back, panting. I clap enthusiastically. "Nice one, Rex!" Rexis turns to me and raises his claws. An age old symbol for 'winner'. Blaze and Claw rise to take a knee before me. I grab them both and pull them to their feet. "That was awesome, guys. Your fighting techniques are almost flawless. You're flowing well in team combat now. All you have to remember is to keep your eyes on every threat. Not just the obvious ones, and you'll be fine. Now all of you come here. You need to eat, too." I unveil the basket of fruits and bread. "Fill your boots, boys, I'm gonna warm up and join you." I move to the weapons rack as the three Pokemon split the remaining breakfast, and choose a redwood practice sword from the display of weapons. We would never use our real blades to train. Not only would it run the risk of injuring our team, but it would destroy the meaning of the weapon itself. Eternus Blades are a last resort, used only when there is no other option available. And only when you have an intent to kill.

I move to the center of the cleared circle and begin to run through an acrobatic routine. It loosens tight muscles and warms them so that I can fight effectively. I keep a practiced eye on the three eating, as well, making sure there are no hard feelings between them for the outcome of the sparring match. Scyther is splitting fruit neatly into slices and flipping them to the others, while Blaze uses the flame from his wrists to toast the bread before handing it to his friends. Rex chuffs softly and hands each of the others a small round berry. I'm proud of him. Those berries were packed with energy. A berry each would restore them to full fighting capacity in no time. They were getting along just fine. I finish the routine with a flurry of spinning strikes to a phantom foe and stab the blade deep into the ground. Now I'm the one with an audience. Squall and Razor have joined the others, and they pick idly over the remains of the breakfast as they watch me closely. I am shocked and impressed to see that even Luna is sitting with the group, although she is a few feet away from them and keeps some distance from the party. I notice the juice around her jaws. So she ate the food I left her. A good start. I stop, breathing lightly. "Luna, good morning. I'm glad to see you slept. Come here, please." Luna glances at the others self-consciously. They all give her encouraging gestures. She moves to sit before me, staring hard at the ground. I sit down and loosen the fabric binding my hair. Using it as a handkerchief, I lift her chin and gently wipe the remnants of her breakfast off of her face. "Don't worry, Luna. None of my friends hold a grudge for what happened at Water Ridge. You actually earned their respect with your battling prowess. You fight well! Which is a good thing, because if you'll allow it, I need your help. She stares at me, then glances nervously at Razor. Razor ruffles her metallic feathers and trills lightly, nodding. Absol looks back at me and nods slowly. "Good. You see Luna, it is my sworn duty to protect all innocents, Pokemon and human alike. We do what others cannot, so that they never have to. Do you understand?" Another nod. "Excellent. With your help, we can make sure that everyone like Shinta lives as happy a life as they can, and they never even know that we were involved. It's a thankless job, and the hours can be pretty rough, but that is the road we all walk. I didn't get to ask you before, so I will now. Would you join us in our fight, Luna?" She gazes into my eyes for several long seconds. I smile at her lightly, and she nods a third time. "Thank you, Luna. I know with you helping me, our goal of peace is that much closer." I stand and Luna moves back to sit with the group. They welcome her in with a chorus of cries and growls. Razor and Blaze both embrace her as best they can, and she jumps up and down, happy for the first time in a week. She's one of the team now. "Alright, my friends," I say, standing and dropping into a ready stance. "Let's get to work."

Training that day has an optimistic overtone to it. We all spar for a few hours, me with the redwood sword, and they with all of their natural attacks. I believe it important that all of us be able to battle without their abilities, just in case something blocks them in combat. They all learn to fight alongside Luna, and she for her part keeps up nicely. I work with her one on one for a while. She seems fond of using her Shadow Claw, Ice Beam, and Extremespeed moves, but when I ask her what else she can show me, she simply looks at me, confused. I leave it alone for the time being. When we need to know what her fourth attack is, she'll show us. I work with Squallheart separately too, throwing pinecones high into the air for him to obliterate with blue fireballs. His accuracy with the dragon rage is impressive, and he can fire it fifteen times before he has to recharge. An impressive feat, considering many of Claire's dragons can only fire ten. I train alongside my team all afternoon, and towards evening I go upstairs to gather up some dinner. We all eat together again, in the clearing, and I give them the rest of the day to do whatever they want. Razor, Squallheart, and Rexis all go to bathe and rest, but I notice as I reach the stairs that Luna, Blaze, and Claw are all sparring again. I nod to myself as I ascend. She's going to fit right in. I return to the conference room, calling up Red. He shimmers into life and stands easily. "Evening, Gray. Productive day?" I raise an eyebrow. "You been reading poetry again, pal?" The AI laughs innocently. "Maybe, I have to entertain myself too, you know. Watching you all fight is only interesting for so long." I laugh, forgetting that every inch of Shadowgym is wired to cameras, so Red can see everything at all times. "How do they look, Red?" The AI pauses, considering. "Tough. Very tough. I'm always impressed at how fast your team can incorporate a new member." I freeze for a moment, then laugh drily. "Yeah. Well, they've had plenty of practice." Red's eyes flash yellow. "I'm sorry, Gray, I didn't mean.. You know what happened to Charizard wasn't your fault. It's the risk of the job. You know that amongst the SE, you have the lowest mortality rate for team members." I sit down at my place around the circular table, running a hand through my hair absently. "Even one was too many, Red. It never gets any easier to lose a friend." I change the subject, not wanting to think about that nasty night in Johto. "Alright, Red, I think they're ready for a new assignment. I know I'm getting bored sitting around all day." "Right," the AI chortles, "Training for 8 solid hours and then coming straight to me. How very lazy of you, Gray. Alright, let's see." His eyes flicker as he peruses the contents of the mission list. "Okay, here we go. This one practically has your name on it. It's back in the desert, you were the last one to visit that area, so you still know the layout. And this is a direct follow-up of Errol the Red's case, so you really ought to be the best equipped to handle it." I grin and shake my head. "Great, more sand. Calci's gonna flip. She just tuned up my 'cycle after the last one." Red winked at me. It was almost scary how human he seemed at times. It was easy to forget he was a hologram created by Shadowgym's mainframe. "Calci's been informed that this would be your next destination already. She's done a bit more than the typical tuneup, this time." I raise an eyebrow. "So you already knew I'd accept, did you?" Red laughs again. "Let's say I had a hunch." "Great. She didn't put a spoiler and flames on it, did she?" He cocked his head and froze. I knew he was looking up everything he could access on spoilers and flames. After a second, a wide grin split his face. "Ah, that was a joke! Nicely done, Gray!" I shake my head. Not quite human, yet, then. "Alright, pal. Give me the briefing. Let's get this show on the road." Red nods and manipulates a virtual keyboard that materializes before him. "Calling up the file now."

The room darkens and a silhouette appears on the wall-sized screen before me. The man speaks softly, but with authority, I feel an uneasy tingle run down my spine. This was the director of Shadowgym himself. Whatever this was, it was serious. The silhouette disappears, and a three-dimensional map of the desert opens and zooms to a cliff formation on the north side of the desert. The furthest side from my current position, I can't help but notice sourly. "Hello, Gray." I start, then settle again, it's a recording. Apparently, everyone but me knew I was going to take this assignment. "The target this time is a Team Rocket strike force that calls itself "The Forgotten Sand." Errol the Red was a scout, informant, and apparently a client of the special forces troop. We have gotten an unusual invoice for filling that was emailed to Errol's Pokegear, which includes a map of Pallet Town, up-to-date plans for Professor Oak's Lab, as well as a layout of the famous Ketchum home. We fear that a kidnapping or assassination attempt is in it's final stages of planning, and would rather kill this threat now than let it get any closer to launch. There are at least five known members of Forgotten Sand, I've uploaded their bios to your equipment. You leave as soon as you are able. You are familiar with the technical requirements of a Class 4 assignement, I know. No witnesses, no prisoners, no trace. The League has spoken." The recording ended, and the lights rose again.

Red popped back up on the dash. "I've taken the liberty of preparing a Pokegear with all of the relevant topography of the landscape, Pokemon data, as well as known layout of the base and bios of all known Forgotten Sand affiliates." A panel slides aside on the table, and the heavily modified Pokegear ascends. I strap it onto my forearm tentatively. "What else did you do to my 'Gear, Red? Fess up." Red shrugs innocently, but his grin gives him away. "Well, you remember the Snag'em machine debacle from a couple of years ago?" I nod. "Bunch of psychopaths that learned to steal a trainer's Pokeball and warp the mind of the Pokemon inside. Gift-wrapped soldiers for a dirty war. What about it?" "Well, we took that data, and the data from Mewtwo's Pokemon capture and cloning program he so kindly gave us, and stretched it's versatility a bit." I grinned fondly, remembering the dark psychic recluse. One of my missions had been to discover where Mewtwo and his cloned family had relocated after giovanni's disastrous attempt to force subservience on the powerful Pokemon. He found me almost immediately after I found him. He probed my mind in an instant, and, once he saw how my Pokemon and I felt, about each other and him, he sat with me on the cliff overlooking his domain. We talked for hours, human and Pokemon, discussing philosophy, nature, and above all, freedom. He spoke fervently and at length about his own discoveries, convincing me almost immediately of his value as a friend and a mentor. He told me that night on the cliff that all he wanted was a safe place for his family to live in peace. He was tired of all of the fighting and greed and waste he saw in humanity, he just wanted out. I couldn't blame him. Sometimes I did, too. He and I came to an agreement. He would allow me to leave, and more importantly, keep my memories of his realm and our talk. In return, I would report my mission a failure, and let him keep his place secret. As a compromise, he had given me all of the relevant scientific data he had gathered over the years. Including his clone and capture program. I looked dubiously at the Pokegear. "Please tell me this isn't a Snag'em machine now. Red shook his head. "Nah, nothing like that, but you can use it to seal a Pokeball indefinitely, or strengthen the seal on a common Pokeball to near-Master Ball levels. It has a lot of useful features. Play around with it when you get time." I nod, grateful for the top-notch science division. "Thank you, Red. You're always taking care of me." Red shrugs again. "Somebody has to. Good luck, Gray." I turn and leave the operation center. Time to get the team together.

-Hey, Oath here. If you made it through, thanks! I hope you enjoyed. I wanted a bit more maturity introduced to the Pokemon World. So please, give me your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you, and it'll help me decide whether to share as I write more.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Before anyone can really comment on the actual story, it's difficult to read in its current form. If you press Enter twice to make a new paragraph, that would create a separate line between each paragraph, making it easier to read.

Right now, your story is just a massive block of text, and that definitely gets tiring on the eyes to read on the computer.

Oathcrusher

Pokemon Ruruoni
    Years
  • Hey, thank you very much. I hadn't realized that it altered the latter part of my original document, I've split the block up as best I can. See if that helps at all. Apologies, and let me know if you think additional changes would help. -Oath

Back