• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Eventing Question] Need Help Making Rival Encounter

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2019
    ----------------------------------FIXED----------------------------------------

I am currently making a game called Pokemon Charoite Version anyway I am having trouble getting the rival battle to work the problem is that no matter what starter you choose he has a mudkip which is strange because I have set him to have the one strongest against you even though I did the else script it isnt working please help. (I am using Pokemon Essentials Gs v1.1) (Yes I know the version is old but I wanted it to be GSC style.)

Current Script:

0GwZWi6.png

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL1,"RAXX",_I("It seems I may have a rival."),false,0,true,0)
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL1,"RAXX",_I("It seems I may have a rival."),false,1,true,0)
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL1,"RAXX",_I("It seems I may have a rival."),false,2,true,0)
    A bit cut off because the window wont let me scroll to the right.

Voice Chat is optimal as I may have questions during the process PM me if you can help while voice chatting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Inside the conditional branch that shows the information on the rival, there is the "false,0,true,0" at the end. Did you make it that false,0 has three different versions? For example the first one has false,0 for starter choice 1 the second one has false,1 for starter choice 2 and the third has false,2 for starter choice 3. I need to see the ends of your conditional branches because you either have it set up to be the same version of the rival no matter what or you need to set up the three versions of you rival in trainers.txt.

Hope that made sense.. if not begin watching this video:

https://youtu.be/QJ2OsU-zUJs

At 1:03

Thundaga is great. Teaches almost everything.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Here's an example of what I mean:

@>ConditionalBranch: Variable [0007: Starter choice] == 1
    @>Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Rival1,"RAAX",_I("You beat me"),false,0,true,0)
    @>Control Self Switch: A =ON
    @>
    : Branch End
    @>
    : Else
    @>ConditionalBranch: Variable [0007: Starter choice] == 2
    @>Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Rival1,"RAAX",_I("You beat me"),false,1,true,0)
    @>
    @>
    : Else
    @>ConditionalBranch: Variable [0007: Starter choice] == 1
    @>Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Rival1,"RAAX",_I("You beat me"),false,3,true,0)
    @>
    @>
    @>

You don't actually need the "true,0" at the end unless you have a scripted loss.

Here's how you set up the trainers.txt for this:

#----------------------
    RIVAL1
    RAAX
    TREECKO,5
    #----------------------
    RIVAL1
    RAAX,1
    MUDKIP,5
    #----------------------
    RIVAL1
    RAAX,2
    TORCHIC,5
    #----------------------

See how I put ,1 and ,2 at the end of the Rival's name. This indicates the version of that trainer whilst putting no number indicates the original version. This works great for trainers who all have the same name too like Team Rocket Grunts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2019
    All of that is in order I have triple checked and it is still not changing the rival pokemon.
    And that is the video I used to do this but it seems either I'm missing something or the script is different for and older version.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just checking, did you actually set Variable [0007: Starter choice] when you did the starter choice?

I know that sounds dumb, but like humor me. I've done dumber.

Back