• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BackUps

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2024
    How many back ups do you normally keep of a project you are working on? Is it normal for a decomp to be 0.25GB in size?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • How many back ups do you normally keep of a project you are working on? Is it normal for a decomp to be 0.25GB in size?
    You don't make manual backups. You have Git, you have the Git history for your project, and you should have set up a repository on a Git hosting page such as GitHub to store your project in.
    When you want to revert a commit, you use git revert.
    When you want to jump to a previous point in time, you use git reset --hard commit_hash.
    And if you need to get your stuff back for whatever reason, you'd be able to simply git pull the commits straight from your GitHub repository.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2024
    So what exactly is linux then? I am using Debian because I am following Team Aqua's tutorials and that's what he uses but my only knowledge of linux is that it is based on Unix which is an OS without any GUI.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    you might find answers outside of pokecommunity for a lot of your questions. linux and git are both very widely used in computing in general so there's a lot of information out there if you want to learn more about them.

but you're right, linux is an operating system, or like a bunch of different but similar operating systems, and debian is a linux operating system. it looks like team aqua's tutorials have you setting up WSL, "windows subsystem for linux", which, as i understand it, basically allows you to use linux as if it was a windows program.

so you're probably going to be using WSL to open a linux terminal to use the git commands that lunos wrote out. there are other ways to use git tho, e.g. you can use a program like github desktop, which is a standalone windows program that gives you a GUI to do the same things that the git commands do. github desktop comes from the website github, which is a place where you can upload your git projects online.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2024
    How exactly do I get my downloaded decomp into my Git Repository? I created one but the terminal wont accept the Personal Access Token I created.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    assuming you're trying to use the access token as a password, are you absolutely sure it isn't working? the terminal hides passwords, so when you paste it in, it will look like there isn't anything there.

i also recommend setting up git credential manager, which replaces the need for personal access tokens by letting you log in with your browser. this page has a guide for setting that up in wsl: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/tutorials/wsl-git

Back