• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio✓] Asking for Tools & Methods about changing the sound effect in the decomp files.

セケツ

ポケハック初心者
Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Hello everyone.
    The question is just as the title, if anyone having a look upon this thread doesn't get its meaning, I would explain it below.
    These days I have noticed that some hacks making changes not only in music but also in sound effects (SE). Like the cries of the pokemons, the opening & calls-receiving of the pokenav, the throwing & popping up of the pokeballs in battle, the scroll & checking of the pokedex, and the sing of Bard in the pokecenter of Mauville city and so on.
    Well, since I have done some researches on them and found that most of them are single midi files, while some of them (especially for the pokemons' cries & the Bard's song) are audio files in a format named .aif, which can be played by the media player in my computer but I know nothing about.
    Here is my question in detail.
    Now what I have are some brand new sound effect files which have been converted to 16-bit .wav files that can be played by the computer. Some of them are new cries of the fakemon I made, some of them are single sound effects that I want to add or replace the original one in the decomp files. All in all, the basis of doing above is to know the ways & get the tools to insert them into the decomp files, which I know nothing about until now.
    Could anyone here give some information or help me with this problem?
    Thanks here with any assistance.

Edit: For the cries of Pokemons, I have know that a tool named "the cry editor" can deal with it in the Binary Rom hacking. But it's a shame that I don't know whether it still works in the field of decomp.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hello everyone.
    The question is just as the title, if anyone having a look upon this thread doesn't get its meaning, I would explain it below.
    These days I have noticed that some hacks making changes not only in music but also in sound effects (SE). Like the cries of the pokemons, the opening & calls-receiving of the pokenav, the throwing & popping up of the pokeballs in battle, the scroll & checking of the pokedex, and the sing of Bard in the pokecenter of Mauville city and so on.
    Well, since I have done some researches on them and found that most of them are single midi files, while some of them (especially for the pokemons' cries & the Bard's song) are audio files in a format named .aif, which can be played by the media player in my computer but I know nothing about.
    Here is my question in detail.
    Now what I have are some brand new sound effect files which have been converted to 16-bit .wav files that can be played by the computer. Some of them are new cries of the fakemon I made, some of them are single sound effects that I want to add or replace the original one in the decomp files. All in all, the basis of doing above is to know the ways & get the tools to insert them into the decomp files, which I know nothing about until now.
    Could anyone here give some information or help me with this problem?
    Thanks here with any assistance.
    When it comes to Pokémon cries, you can convert audio files into .aif using a program like Audacity.
    1) Open your .wav in Audacity, go to File -> Export -> Export Audio.
    2) Set the "Save as type" field to "Other uncompressed files"
    3) In the Format Options section of the window, set the Header to "AIFF (Apple/SGI)"
    4) Set the Encoding to Signed 8-bit PCM.
    5) After exported and assuming that you don't have file formats hidden on your Windows' folder settings, rename it to "(whatever filename you want).aif".

If after building a new ROM you notice some "cracks" when the cry plays (I believe you shouldn't because this was fixed long ago, but still), you'll have to open the original .wav file and apply a Low-Pass Filter before exporting it again following the process I explained above.
    To do that, you simply select the entire audio track with Ctrl+A, go to Effect -> Low Pass Filter, configure it if you want and hit "OK".
    Edit: For the cries of Pokemons, I have know that a tool named "the cry editor" can deal with it in the Binary Rom hacking. But it's a shame that I don't know whether it still works in the field of decomp.
    It doesn't. Cry Editor modifies stuff inside the games' ROMs directly.

セケツ

ポケハック初心者
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    When it comes to Pokémon cries, you can convert audio files into .aif using a program like Audacity.
    1) Open your .wav in Audacity, go to File -> Export -> Export Audio.
    2) Set the "Save as type" field to "Other uncompressed files"
    3) In the Format Options section of the window, set the Header to "AIFF (Apple/SGI)"
    4) Set the Encoding to Signed 8-bit PCM.
    5) After exported and assuming that you don't have file formats hidden on your Windows' folder settings, rename it to "(whatever filename you want).aif".

If after building a new ROM you notice some "cracks" when the cry plays (I believe you shouldn't because this was fixed long ago, but still), you'll have to open the original .wav file and apply a Low-Pass Filter before exporting it again following the process I explained above.
    To do that, you simply select the entire audio track with Ctrl+A, go to Effect -> Low Pass Filter, configure it if you want and hit "OK".

It doesn't. Cry Editor modifies stuff inside the games' ROMs directly.

Sorry for my late reply & VERY appreciate for your answer in detail. I finally used audacity to convert & insert the new cries at last. Luckily there is no crack & glitch for me when I heard it from the emulator.
    As for the sound effects, I have found that most of them are .midi files played by some certain & special soundfonts. And I think there must be something to do with the tools for midi-editing, such as the anvil studio and domino, both of which I always used when it came to music-hacking.
    I will keep my eyes on how to change them. if I make some progress or get some shallow comprehensions (Please forgive my ignorance since they may be wrong) on this question, I will go back and post what I have found here.
    Thanks again for your help genuinely.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    As for the sound effects, I have found that most of them are .midi files played by some certain & special soundfonts. And I think there must be something to do with the tools for midi-editing, such as the anvil studio and domino, both of which I always used when it came to music-hacking.

You are correct in saying that the sound effects are based on certain soundfonts. While midis are used to create the files necessary for the ROM to read the sound data for music, for a sound effect, we don't have to create a midi. If you want to add your own sound effects, here's the simplest way of going about it.

Spoiler:

Hopefully this helps you add in your sound effects!

セケツ

ポケハック初心者
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    You are correct in saying that the sound effects are based on certain soundfonts. While midis are used to create the files necessary for the ROM to read the sound data for music, for a sound effect, we don't have to create a midi. If you want to add your own sound effects, here's the simplest way of going about it.

Spoiler:

Hopefully this helps you add in your sound effects!

Genuinely appreciate for your research & help.
    Recently I am not working in the sound hacking since I have some other changes to do for my hack. But Having completely (may be) looked through the answer & advice that you gave me, I found that it is aimed at changing / adding a totally new voicegroup to the ROM itself, which is special for the sound effect that I want to add.
    To be honest, I think the method you gave me would be practicable & feasible. And I believe it should work based on my own little understanding & knowledge about the music-hacking. Moveover, I also have searched the whole community and found a post in the old binary rom-hacking forum, which also converyed the simlar method to me. The link is below:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=346172
    All in all, I will certainly try your method later, Very appreciate for you reply.
    Thanks again Sincerely.

Back