• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Million Dollar Question (Bank)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Since Pokémon Bank is a permanent service meant to work with the newest games, will Pokémon that go into Pokémon Bank be able to go to Sun/Moon and back to the earlier generation? Will all Pokémon in Bank automatically be upgraded to Sun/Moon and unable to go back to Gen. VI as of a certain date? Will the icon (hexagon, and a new one for VII) dictate this? This is very important, as this is the first generation upgrade to Bank and questions will be asked like this; it's like telling users that they can keep getting Bank, for storage, but they can no longer use it on Gen. VI, which is kind of a downside if that happens.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I think it we may be able to send them back to 6 as long as they don't have new moves, etc. It'll be similar to Gen II to Gen I.
    Exactly. If it learns a new Gen. VII move, we will not be allowed to take it back until the move is forgotten. THAT I expect. What will be interesting is whether we can take them back at all. I can maintain using the games for breeding (though I never did this with B/W, heh) and still use Bank thus. That said, I'll probably move my event collection into VII.

Maybe I just need to keep one Bank all for Generation VI activities and the other all for Generation VII activities. I will be interested to see how this plays out!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Exactly. If it learns a new Gen. VII move, we will not be allowed to take it back until the move is forgotten. THAT I expect. What will be interesting is whether we can take them back at all. I can maintain using the games for breeding (though I never did this with B/W, heh) and still use Bank thus. That said, I'll probably move my event collection into VII.

Maybe I just need to keep one Bank all for Generation VI activities and the other all for Generation VII activities. I will be interested to see how this plays out!
    Yeah, it'll probably work like that. They sort of did that with the Weather trio's new moves.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    It would depend on if they change any data I think. Gen 1 VC Pokemon can't go to Gen 6 games for what ever reason and it has started a speculation that they may have messed with hidden stats again.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    If that happens, it's going to make some Bank users very unhappy. I guess it's time for some to start purging stuff and releasing what they're not going to use, but event collectors are going to have a hassle if Bank info is changed immediately.

Though maybe they will use new symbols, and once it goes from Bank into Sun/Moon, it will be impossible to go back to OR/AS. So maybe Bank can still be used normally with Gen. VI, just not for taking things back from the new games if owned. VI-born will get symbol conversion, and anything earlier remains with no symbol.

Like I said, it's a million dollar question ATM.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I feel as though Pentagon Pokémon can probably move freely between gen 6 and Sun/Moon, whereas Sun & Moon will introduce a new symbol, and Pokémon stamped with it will be restricted to Sun & Moon. I'm not sure how the Virtual Console titles will handle this, but perhaps they will gain their own symbol once they're placed into Bank.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    My prediction is that once a Pokemon goes into gen 7 it won't be able to go back. They will probably spit bank into two parts, one for gen 6 and one for gen 7. Seems like something Pokemon would do.

What scares me if with the gen 1 pokemon though... Don't they have different stat scalings etc?

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    My prediction is that once a Pokemon goes into gen 7 it won't be able to go back. They will probably spit bank into two parts, one for gen 6 and one for gen 7. Seems like something Pokemon would do.

What scares me if with the gen 1 pokemon though... Don't they have different stat scalings etc?

Some old Pokemon had their stats fixed in Gen VI games, so dw the Gen I Pokemon will basically follow the same thing.

Serebii has mentioned that Gen I Pokémon from the rereleases can be traded to Gen VI games indirectly, I think that is insinuating we can freely send our Pokemon between Gen VI games and SM through Bank.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Some old Pokemon had their stats fixed in Gen VI games, so dw the Gen I Pokemon will basically follow the same thing.

Serebii has mentioned that Gen I Pokémon from the rereleases can be traded to Gen VI games indirectly, I think that is insinuating we can freely send our Pokemon between Gen VI games and SM through Bank.
    I'm not sure how Serebii would know this yet unless his Dad works at Nintendo. :P

I can only hope back and forth can be done. The games, being Gen. VII, clearly cannot trade with each other, but it's seeming we will have active trading and battling still happening in Gen. VI even when Gen. VII begins. It just won't be the Global Link standard.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm not sure how Serebii would know this yet unless his Dad works at Nintendo. :P

I can only hope back and forth can be done. The games, being Gen. VII, clearly cannot trade with each other, but it's seeming we will have active trading and battling still happening in Gen. VI even when Gen. VII begins. It just won't be the Global Link standard.

Do you even PokeBank, m8?

Obviously new Pokemon, new forms, new moves won't be allowed transferred to the older games.

Otherwise, we can move our Pokemon back and forth between Gen VI and Gen VII through PokeBank.

Unless the Pokemon franchise just kicks the bucket, PokeBank is permanent. They've already made clear that they want the Bank to be carried over the future generations since pre-Gen VI days. (:

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Where is it mentioned that you would be able to trade future generations back to older gens? From what I understood was that it was made so you can send past gens to future gens. Doesn't say it would be able to send pokémons back. The only generation we have been able to trade pokémon back was in gen 2. For all we know they might change the pokémon formula again so gen 1 and gen 6 pokémon are compatible in gen 7, making it so that they cannot be send back.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Do you even PokeBank, m8?

Obviously new Pokemon, new forms, new moves won't be allowed transferred to the older games.

Otherwise, we can move our Pokemon back and forth between Gen VI and Gen VII through PokeBank.

Unless the Pokemon franchise just kicks the bucket, PokeBank is permanent. They've already made clear that they want the Bank to be carried over the future generations since pre-Gen VI days. (:
    Rather than act like I don't know the subject matter I am posting about, look at it from the angle of someone who may not get the Gen. VII games (not me necessarily, just saying look at that angle). They still want to be able to use PokéBank. Will they be forced to get a Gen. VII game to do so, and will Bank automatically upgrade anything in it as of a certain date to Gen. VII? That is the question. There is also the PokéMiles aspect of rewards which is there, as well, that the new game needs to use in some way barring it being removed (at which point I have to send them to my games from both Banks beforehand).
    Where is it mentioned that you would be able to trade future generations back to older gens? From what I understood was that it was made so you can send past gens to future gens. Doesn't say it would be able to send pokémons back. The only generation we have been able to trade pokémon back was in gen 2. For all we know they might change the pokémon formula again so gen 1 and gen 6 pokémon are compatible in gen 7, making it so that they cannot be send back.
    It's not mentioned. My question is more for the fact that Bank is currently compatible for VI and has to be made compatible for VII. I wonder whether they will be able to co-exist in the same Bank, or whether they'll give people with both generations extra boxes for Gen. VII, or exactly how they plan to handle that scenario. My gut feeling is they will upgrade everything to VII and make it no longer useable with VI games. That would be a slap in the face to people who can't afford to get the new games. And if it IS dual compatible, whether Pokémon without things found in VII can be transferred back is the million dollar question. My guess is no, but at the same time, we can send Groudon and Kyogre with their special moves to Bank and they just can't be withdrawn to X/Y. It makes you think. My guess is the icon will be changed upon moving into VII and it won't be possible to go back, but we'll see.

Reactions: Sun
    Back