• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can I edit breeding compatability?

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2007
    Hey,

I'm new to hacking and I wanted to know a few things:

1. How would I edit the breeding compatability for a pokemon? For instance, say I replaced Magikarp with a dog pokemon. I'd really like to not have that dog able to breed with fish.

2. How can I change what egg is produced when 2 pokemon breed? F'rinstance, suppose I replace pikachu and raichu with some kind of bat, but I leave pichu untouched. I'm worried that if they breed, I'd get a pichu that evolves into a bat.

Both of these questions would be for a Ruby hack.

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
  • Hey,

I'm new to hacking and I wanted to know a few things:

1. How would I edit the breeding compatability for a pokemon? For instance, say I replaced Magikarp with a dog pokemon. I'd really like to not have that dog able to breed with fish.

2. How can I change what egg is produced when 2 pokemon breed? F'rinstance, suppose I replace pikachu and raichu with some kind of bat, but I leave pichu untouched. I'm worried that if they breed, I'd get a pichu that evolves into a bat.

Both of these questions would be for a Ruby hack.

BaseEd can do that, in the unknown values, check the last two numbers.
    These are the groups:
    1=monster
    2=water1
    3=bug
    4=bird
    5=field
    6=fairy
    7=plant
    8=humanshape
    9=water3
    10=mineral
    11=indeterminate
    12=water2
    13=ditto
    14=dragon
    15=no eggs

Write them there. Except for no eggs and ditto, pokemon can breed with pokemon with same numbers, and can be in two groups.

Dunno about question two, and I'm worried about that too. I wonder if there's "pre-evolution data" apart from the evolution data, or if the game scans evolution data to find the first stage of the pokemon that bred.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2007
    My guess would be that it's hard-coded and could be found using a hex editor, but I have no idea what to search for. Otherwise the game would have to run 2 checks each time an egg gets created - once to check and see if there's a pokemon whose evolution pointer is set to the one that just bred, and if so, once again to see if there's something else which evolves into *that*. And since ID#s may not be anywhere near each other (pichu is nowhere near his adult forms on the list) the game would have no choice but to search the entire 'dex each time. Seems much more elegant to just hard code it with a pointer for the egg.

Someone could always try to test it by changing the breeding compatability on a legendary and seeing what happens when you breed it with a ditto...my guess would be either you get a Missingno or (more likely) your game crashes.

BlackDragonite

Austrian Pokémon Expert
    Years
  • You could use Amplifier 2006 Ae, but you can´t choose hings like "dog" and "bat", but things like "chaos" and "fairie" and I really don´t know which Pokémon are chaos or smth...

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
  • Someone could always try to test it by changing the breeding compatability on a legendary and seeing what happens when you breed it with a ditto...my guess would be either you get a Missingno or (more likely) your game crashes.
    Or you get the pokemon that bred, because maybe they have a "safe mode" (points to himself) or 1-stage pokémon have no preevolution data assigned so it's set to breed to himself as default.

But well, it's all towers in the air. Try it, then tell us.

Back