• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should ambidexterity be taught in schools?

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    So I have a final update to this and wasn't sure whether to post here or make a new thread, so i decided to update it here.

The activity the kindergarteners did involved writing out every letter of the alphabet (on a guided sheet) with both hands. I then compared both sheets from each kindergartener, chose which one looked worse, and they wrote out the letters again on two guided sheets just with the hand that produced the worse looking letters, presumably their non-dominant hand). I kept both sheets for later reference. This was a short activity and we did it at the beginning of each day for the past week and a half, but without the guides on the sheets after day one.

I kept the original two worse sheets and after doing the activity every morning, we finished it up on Friday. Yesterday I spent some time comparing the original two sheets with the final two sheets done on Friday and they were pretty interesting. Some kids letters remained as bad as they were the first day, but most kids's letters improved, some drastically, even looking better than the better looking letters (presumably the dominant hand) from the first day.

All in all, I'm pretty surprised at how it turned out. I wasn't expecting there to be much improvement, if any, even though they all hand't really spent a lot of time writing before. I'm not sure what the teacher plans to do after this, if anything, but I think it's cool to see that ambidexterity, to some degree, can be taught to kindergarteners.

Is this actually teaching ambidexterity, though? It's more like teaching the ability to write with both hands, given that they'll still have a dominant hand and outside of writing still default to the dominant hand

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2020
    Oh one of myu favourite topic, as a teenage I tried EVERYTHING to become a lefty since I wanted to have some in common with famous people like Messi and in general with the "artists", with poor success.
    (I mean I can write in a disgraful way with the left hand, while I can lead the ball and pass quite well with my left foot, but I really can't shoot properly . . .)

My answer to your question is No. I mean is better that the children learn at first to do basic thinghs with their "strong" side, in order to master theese abilities fluently.

The lateralization of brain's function happens in the first two years of life, so you have to start really early in order to pursue your target, I personally prefer to let the children develop as they want in that stage.

Back