• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Episode Discussion] Skip pokemon season

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2019
    I watch pokemon when I childhood, but I not continue to watch the anime just play the game. I want to watch the anime now, but it is hard to find dubbed japanese with english subtitle, only english dub. If I skip watch pokemon indigo league until advanced generation because I want to watch original with japanese dub I watch from diamond and pearl, is that ok to skip the stories?

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    It's perfectly fine to skip series, since most of them are designed to be standalone.

Technically speaking, OS, AG, and DP are direct continuations of one another, while BW is a soft reboot.
    (although Dawn comes back for a bit in a arc towards the end of it, similar to May coming back in DP)

XY is almost completely self-contained, and SM is...SM, wherein it's a fine episodic series, but if you're hoping for coherency in its story-telling, you're not getting it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'd disagree that SuMo doesn't have a storyline at some points waves over at the whole thing with Lille etc etc.

But honestly Pokemon it really just depends on what you're looking to see in the anime. If you like great battles and Pokemon growth (as in evolution and such) then DP and XY are likely more up your alley. If you want more fun and character interactions then BW and SM would be more up your alley.

OS is all one series (both Kanto and Johto) since a lot of people from Kanto come back to Johto and have more connections with one another. You'll see some comebacks in some other series (some more than others) but overall? There's nothing that's going to leave you impossibly confused if you skipped a whole series because, as th above poster said, you can basically start anywhere as each can be seen as 'standalone'.

Years
  • The original, Orange Islands and Johto are nostalgia trips for me.

Didn't watch much of AG.

DP has a ton of filler, but the Ash/Paul rivalry is probably one of the best (if not THE bet) dynamics in the anime.

Black/White can be skipped. It was cool to see Charizard and Dawn again, but that's about it. I liked seeing Team Rocket in a more serious light, but we'll probably never get that again.

XY is amazeballs.

SM is...something else. The Litten/Stoutland story is great though.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    SM further sours itself for me when it treats events from the games as Filler since they're never brought up outside of the events (aside from Lusamine thanking Ash in another Filler episode) and is quick to downplay the seriousness of the situation by throwing in wacky hijinks - the preview for the first Ultra Guardian episode has the girls saying that everything sounds so serious, then the episode comes out and has an inflatable snorlax and Buzzwole is captured by literally getting flexed on.

I get that most of SM's appeal is the character interactions, and it delivers plenty of that, but the few of the fans who liked the games' story feel cheated when it's treated with utter indifference.

That, and Lillie wears her character development outfit only for specific events before donning the character-stifling garments again.

Years
  • Hearing Lillie's voice always puts me in a slightly worse mood. Dear god. Hopefully we'll never hear from her again once SM is over just like Iris.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    Hearing Lillie's voice always puts me in a slightly worse mood. Dear god. Hopefully we'll never hear from her again once SM is over just like Iris.

If the only thing bothering you is the voice acting, please watch the original subbed!!! Best Wishes!, XY, and Sun & Moon are subbed completely. DP and AG only have select episodes subbed.

Iris is played by Aoi Yuki (she played roles like Victorique de Blois in GOSICK and Madoka Kaname in PMMM, Sakura in the old Kino's Journey anime and Kino in the new anime--although the voice-acting is definitely better after the first few eps, where she was still playing her like one of her moe roles, the later voice is more natural! ^^;; It also makes it clear her teasing of Satoshi/Ash and Dent/Cilan is friendly later on, which the dub didn't quite clearly convey to a lot of viewers, it seems...

Plus, original Best Wishes! has Dent/CIlan voiced by MamoMiya (think Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club, with all his prettyboy theatrics and PG-rated host club shenanigans, and you literally have Dent, then amp it up some more with a huge ego and approximately 1000000 odd interests and dubious areas of expertise), and he's actually a Pokemon Sommelier, not a Connoisseur, in the original, so rather than food puns, he speaks in wine/food marriage metaphors--the alcohol references that come with being a sommelier is why the dub changed his way of speaking so much.

Lillie's voice is very ladylike and proper, but still sounds cute and young, not jarringly mature like her dub voice. Her voice is very sweet!

That, and Lillie wears her character development outfit only for specific events before donning the character-stifling garments again.

Lillie occasionally wears other things in the anime (like in the other Mooland/Stoutland episode), so presumably, she wasn't forced to wear her usual dress in the anime due to her mother's obsession with Nihilego (especially given she was attacked by one without her mother's knowledge, so she wasn't affected by the toxin like in the games until the whole Motherbeast thing), but anime Lillie could be subconsciously drawn to these clothes
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Personally, I like SM better than others. I LOVE character development and interactions, and continuity is always a resource on the series, due to the "no-traveling" thing, basically every character has 2-3 appearances, even some character that would be seen just once in OS-XY. Battles not appearing in every episode, isn't a thing that a lot of people enjoy, but I like that decision, now they can make the characters grow better, I mean, look at Lana, she was not only weak, but also kinda stupid, now, she is very strong, and not only that, because she now is really strategic and her mind is really cold in battle. Look at her in first episode, and look at her in her battle against Mallow or Guzma! Even if she loose, she used what she alredy knew for battling both Guzma and Mallow, she was prepared for Grass-type and teached powder snow? blizzard? an Ice-type move to Primarina, she was prepared for First Impression and when she can't use Sparkling Aria, she just decided to use other moves.
    Sophocles also grew a lot, now he don't have Nychtophobia anymore, and he uses his knowledges for winning in battle. Sure, he's weak, but he didn't battled a lot before so...
    Kiawe... I don't know, he's almost the same as his first appearance, but he's smarter in battle, more secure? and something else, i guess.
    Lillie grew A LOT, and all of you knows it, she was so scary and insecure, and now, she's helping to find her dad! She's one of the 8 best of all Alola trainers and is very mature now.
    Mallow now is stronger, and more mature, she accepted hers mother death and stuff...
    Even Ash grew! not a lot, but he's now a little more "talking than battling", not that much, but he is... he is now just good at battles and training, and he's not the best in everything like he was in XY.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I think it's cute that we're using blatantly fake 'spoiler' titles from 4chan as 'evidence' of Serena possibly coming back.

well, i learned that the amourshippers can't think in other thing but serena or XYZ, and yes, i am, because looks like they don't accept the fact that she's gone forever but in a good way

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • well, i learned that the amourshippers can't think in other thing but serena or XYZ, and yes, i am, because looks like they don't accept the fact that she's gone forever but in a good way

That would literally make no sense in terms up build up and execution. Although knowing the writers and their amazing forgetfulness in regards to plot, it probably won't but you know people still have hope. Also that isn't a "fact".

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    That would literally make no sense in terms up build up and execution. Although knowing the writers and their amazing forgetfulness in regards to plot, it probably won't but you know people still have hope. Also that isn't a "fact".

Well, yes and no
    No Iris and no Serena appeared in later anime, unlike Misty, May, Dawn and even Cilan. So maybe they're leaving that behind, which is sad, because i wanted to see new simplistic designs for Bonnie and Clemont
    But yes, isn't a fact

Back