• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yu-Gi-Oh! [Insert Interesting Title Here]

ジュナイパー

シャドーアローズ? ??トライク!
Years
  • Well, I've only been on this part of the forums for about a week and a half, but I'd really like to start one of these after I become a little more experienced. It's never too late to start planning!

So the title is pretty self explanatory. I'd like to start a Yugioh RP, but I don't know if anyone knows/cares about Yugioh. The story would be similar to the Arc-V saga, such as [insert spoilers here] and [insert more spoilers here]. There might even be some custom summoning methods made by the RPers. Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    How would this work in terms of figuring out decks? Would applicants need to list all 40 cards in their decks? And more importantly how would the duels work lol? I feel like there's a lot of luck involved in terms of duelling O.o

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • I've been in a couple small Yu-Gi-Oh! RPs in the past on other sites, and here's what hasn't worked in my experience. (as far as determining the results of duels)

1.) Using custom made cards.
    2.) Using duel simulators to decide outcomes of matches.
    3.) Leaving it up to a GM to decide.

What we did that seemed to work the best (without upsetting everyone) was we would see if somebody was wanting to lose pre-duel, due to story reasons. Otherwise, a third party would PM the cards from RNG. (this did require us to make a list 1-40 of our deck and make edits)

That was in a situation where 2-3 liners were okay. Here, a Yu-Gi-Oh! RP would require a lot of JPs. There would also need to be quick ways to communicate and the GM would need to be very active. (though, that's for every RP, right?)

Hopefully you can gain some support and see this plan to fruition. :)

P.S. Don't feel like I'm trying to tell you what to do, I'm not. I'm just sharing my experiences with it. Perhaps something that didn't work for you can make work well. :D

ジュナイパー

シャドーアローズ? ??トライク!
    Years
  • Alright. After careful consideration, I've decided to do what you said that worked on that other site, Infernal. The players will determine beforehand who wins, I will send them the cards they draw via PM, Skype, or Discord, or something. I haven't got any other ideas.

I'm gonna wait for a couple more opinions before I officially get the show on the road.

P.S. All of you 70+ people who read this and aren't commenting. I'd like feedback, please. The good and the bad. So if this would be a waste of everyone's time, let me know. If not, let me know.
    -Catman

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • Alright. After careful consideration, I've decided to do what you said that worked on that other site, Infernal. The players will determine beforehand who wins, I will send them the cards they draw via PM, Skype, or Discord, or something. I haven't got any other ideas.

I'm gonna wait for a couple more opinions before I officially get the show on the road.

P.S. All of you 70+ people who read this and aren't commenting. I'd like feedback, please. The good and the bad. So if this would be a waste of everyone's time, let me know. If not, let me know.
    -Catman

Well, I don't think there is any need to PM cards if they've decided. But, if there is some kind of competition that both RPers would like to compete in and try to win it would be more necessary.

Just have careful picking with SU and make sure that people are in it for the RP and are not treating it as a game.

Years
  • This is certainly a unique idea (as far as I know, any way). I don't think we've had an RP based on card games before. It seems that the players would decide beforehand who wins, but if they can't decide, I imagine it will fall to you, the GM, to decide.

I'm curious how the actual duels would be played, however. Do the players actually play a game and simply post the play by play? (I imagine NPC fights would go similarly.) If so, and the winner is decided beforehand, it comes off like one of those scripted duels you see at conventions. If so and the winner is left up to chance, we're just playing Duel Monsters and sharing the duel on the forums. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

ジュナイパー

シャドーアローズ? ??トライク!
    Years
  • This is certainly a unique idea (as far as I know, any way). I don't think we've had an RP based on card games before. It seems that the players would decide beforehand who wins, but if they can't decide, I imagine it will fall to you, the GM, to decide.

I'm curious how the actual duels would be played, however. Do the players actually play a game and simply post the play by play? (I imagine NPC fights would go similarly.) If so, and the winner is decided beforehand, it comes off like one of those scripted duels you see at conventions. If so and the winner is left up to chance, we're just playing Duel Monsters and sharing the duel on the forums. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    Glad you like it! Duels would in fact be decided by the two players dueling, or they can use the Dueling Network/YGOPRO/me PMing their respective hands to them. Then, they would proceed to create a JP for that duel. So yes, NPC duels and predetermined duels will be scripted (if the RPers want).

Now there's one thing that just popped up into my head. If I'm gonna allow custom cards, I've got to come up with a judging system so they won't be too overpowered. I don't even know if the cards I had in mind are too OP, and I'm the GM. {XD}

Back