• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: 20th Pokémon Movie Announced

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Serena08 is right, Veronica has solely been a 4Kids VA and left Pokemon when the dub cut ties with 4Kids. We should all pretty much know Sarah Natochenny (Ash's current VA) will still be voicing him even when this movie's dub is in production.

While there were other 4Kids VAs who returned to Pokemon starting from Season 11 (Diamond & Pearl Battle Dimension) such as Dan Green, Erica Shroeder, Lisa Ortiz and Jason Griffith, Veronica never returned to the series.
    Veronica has said that she would come back to the show if she was invited back. I don't think it's too likely either, but it could happen.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • I forgot about that, but I feel everyone wants her back for nostalgia.
    Well, it's new media portraying the original iteration of Ash, why would it not be fitting to have her back?

I personally doubt she'll be coming back for this, but I'd be so darn happy if she did.

Also, in terms of 4kids era voice actors, does Ted Lewis count? He was Giovanni up until Gen 4, and brought back for his arc later in Gen 4.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2017
    That trailer was sure something... Not sure what to say. I guess I was hyped because the scenery (Pallet Town, I presume) was really pretty, Ho-oh cameoed, and "Mezase Pok?mon Master" played, which I haven't heard in ages! :3 "It's been 3000 years.." ...okay, maybe a few months/years.. ^_^. Not to mention that the animators did that cool-yet-clich? sequence of having a facially-obscured character tightening/adjusting his/her clothes and grabbing items needed in preparation for adventure..

On the other hand, of course this movie seems to be gearing up to be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Pok?mon franchise and embracing nostalgia is fitting and all, but a Kanto-saga retelling..? Really? -.- I mean, the Pok?mon anime movies have been in a slump lately saleswise so the decision makes sense, but resorting to yet another continuity reboot/retelling (of sorts) is the last option I was looking forward to.. Then again, what else can the writers do? If they're retaining Ash and not using new protagonists, it seems hard to do plots that don't involve a legendary/legendary-ish Pok?mon and don't involve a residential villainous team/crime syndicate.. In any case, I've been really soured by the repetitive usage of reboots and remakes and retellings in media franchises these days - especially when you're just redoing something that's already been told in a similar format, like what happened with the early parts of the Dragon Ball Super anime series and the Boruto: Naruto Next Generation manga series. Just because you can remake/retell something doesn't mean that you should; the technique should be reserved for select scenarios, in my opinion.. >_>. At least Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! did nostalgia right - rather than just retelling something, they used old characters to tell new stories with Digimon Adventure tri. and Yu-Gi-Oh! the Movie: The Dark Side of Dimensions, respectively.

Regarding Ash's Kanto saga, if I wanted to revisit that, I would just rewatch the original series episodes.. >_>. And if the writers want newer generations to experience the "old era of Pok?mon ", rebroadcast the original series on television and/or offer the entirety of the original series on digital platforms like iTunes or something. If we're going to be revisiting anything, I guess that I would like the writers to do something with the original concepts of Pok?mon The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back prior to when it got modified into the version that exists today/prior to when Pok?mon became a cash-cow franchise..

I guess the pacing will be interesting to see (depending if this is a single 20th-anniversary movie or a 20th-anniversary movie mini-series); both Pok?mon Origins and Pok?mon Generations have been criticized a bit in that regard.. I feel that the original series of the Pok?mon anime had great pacing (prior to Johto, at least); even if there were filler episodes (as in, inconsequential to main plotline), all the episodes that I can recall seemed purposeful/meaningful..

LOL; Ho-oh's movie appearance gets shafted once again.. XD. Even if this just a "one movie" deal, I feel like it doesn't really count as a "movie Ho-oh appearance" by virtue of this just being a special case as a retelling of the original series, in the same vein as how Pok?mon The Movie: Jirachi Wish-Maker doesn't really count as a Groudon appearance because the Groudon was fake and formed unnaturally.. Sigh.

It will be hilarious/strange if the "Never Trust A Trailer" trope applies here.. I mean, Ho-oh's gotten (figuratively) burned once before with the "Lugia vs. Ho-oh" trailer for Pok?mon The Movie: Zoroark: Master of Illusions..

So maybe back to business as usual next year? The writers are kind of limited for Alolan legendary Pok?mon to focus on - Necrozma and Marshadow are probably viable for standalone movies, maybe Solgaleo and Lunala and/or some of the Tapus/Island Guardians will feature in at least 1 movie if the main anime holds off long enough, although hopefully the implementation won't be too redundant in terms of "TV series vs. movies". The few options left seem like Silvally (and maybe Arceus again) and Zygarde, unless some random non-legendary Pok?mon (like Pyukumuku?) is made to appear legendary like what happened to Lucario (you'll always be legendary in my eyes, Aura Pok?mon :'( ).

It would be interesting if the region wasn't Kanto, but I highly doubt that it will be the case. Sigh...come on Kanto, you've gotten 4 generation appearances and a Nintendo 3DS rerelease (one of which you weren't even supposed to be in (Pok?mon Gold and Silver), akin to the White Witch in the recent Narnia movie(s)), multiple anime features (original series during pre-Orange Islands saga, Hoenn era's Battle Frontier season, and whenever Ash goes home for an episode or two), an anime miniseries (Pok?mon Origins), numerous references in Kalos (particularly wasting Santalune Forest's layout potential), innumerable manga cameos, and who knows what else - and now, a dedicated movie, most likely! Yeah, it's the Pok?mon franchise's 20th anniversary and all and Kanto was first, but take a freaking break! 25th anniversary isn't even that far off and already it's expending most of the nostalgia I have for it, if any.. It's honestly one of my favorite regions after Hoenn, but the overexposure is getting a bit much.. Normally, this issue wouldn't be so much of a problem, but Pok?mon is one of the few franchises where changes in location is an aspect that each set of iterations takes pride in..

So TL;DR - somewhat hyped yet disappointed that we might be getting yet another retelling, even amidst the 20th-anniversary festivities of Pok?mon. I guess that I'll wait for more information, but retelling seems likely at this point, unless we're somehow getting Ash Jr....?

P.S.: Just gushing over the trailer's movie logo at the end; I love how it looks so 1980s/1990s in design and morphs to a modern 2010s-ish design, and even though I have more familiarity with the English counterpart, "Mezase Pok?mon Master" conveyed a really nice sense of "adventure brimming with possibilities" along with being reminiscent of something from one's own past..!

P.P.S.: New hat's logo is ugly, tying with the ugliness of Ash's hat for his Sun/Moon outfit in which the logo tries too hard to be an abstract Pok? Ball and fails miserably (all of Ash's other hats have nice designs, in my opinion). *shaking my head* Either reuse the original logo/mark or just sensibly stick to a nice-looking abstract full Pok? Ball logo or partial Pok? Ball logo like all the other hats have done..

What was the original story for the first movie? I clicked on both links and found nothing. What's the story with that?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • To be honest, I would prefer for the current voice actor to stay. I prefer her voice a lot more. For Ash anyway. But she was definitely better for May than Jessie's current voice actor.

I still don't know about this movie... the First Movie was only 42 minutes long according to what I read. How are they going the extend the first episode by almost an hour? That is a lot to add and I think it would just drag on...

Maybe they will change it up a little bit. Have him get to the first gym, but not see Ho-oH until after the first gym. That would give them a chance to bring in Misty, Brock, and Gary. However, they may completely change how this plays out. We may not even see Misty or Brock and it could actually bring in the other 2 trainers that were supposed to appear from Pallet Town. I think that would be awesome.

We also need to remember that the Alola Starters seem to be in it. Then again, they showed footage of Zygarde 100% that was never even used.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    So many things have been ignored in favor of Kanto for this anniversary, it's as if they forgot about the other 15 years and only care about 1st gen nostalgia.
    The entire 20 years of this series is something worth celebrating, especially after the 1st two generations. So many Pokemon, characters, regions and so on.

You miss the point about what this 20th anniversary is supposed to be about. It's the 20th anniversary of Gen 1, along with the original anime and the Pokémania Era. Gens 3 and later, by design, will never be a part of it in the same way, and while that may annoy younger fans, this anniversary was never meant to be about them, anyways. That's just the hard truth.

And, considering all of that, the post-Pokémania gens have still gotten their fair share. Hoenn got heavily-promoted remakes not too long ago, and SM also has Wally, Anabel, and the rideable Sharpedo. Sinnoh and Unova also get a decent number of cameos and references in SM.

In fact, that's a lot more than poor Johto's gotten. So much for GF "only caring about Gens 1 and 2"... >_>

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Hey guys, I was going through a List of movies today, trying to figure out which ones I do not have. And it hit me.

We have been afraid that they were going to skip a lot in this movie, or it was going to be short lived or wouldn't live up to the hype, but let us think outside the box a bit.

Wonder if all the 7th Gen movies was Ash going through a totally different Journey? I mean yeah we will see him get badges, but what if every movie was linker this generation? Similar to how most of the 4th Gen movies were linked? This would be a good throw back to Sinnoh, like we have been having in the games a bit.

It is kinda hard to say exactly what they plan to do right now, but it is very possible that Marshadow will be the anime series, similar to maybe the Ultrabeasts. They may not have a movie similar to Meloetta. Maybe even using some of the original plans for the Celebi arc they were going to have in the series before the movie came out.

He may not even be taking on the gyms in this movie. Maybe it is story oriented. Maybe chasing after Ho-oH and defeating Team Rocket and possibly meeting his Dad. The saga could end with him winning the League and Battling Lance or his Dad. Although he would still need badges.

I mean this is all speculation, but I think it is really possible. Like really really possible.

This could help the pacing of the movie and journey that a lot of us are worried about.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I can't really see this one movie going that far. It would have to be a series of movies to show all that happening. It looks like this one is just focusing on the beginning of his journey, but we'll get more info at some point.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I can't really see this one movie going that far. It would have to be a series of movies to show all that happening. It looks like this one is just focusing on the beginning of his journey, but we'll get more info at some point.

Yes that is what I am saying. Usually we get 3 movies per generation, at least recently. All of the 7th Gen movies, the 3 we normally get, would all be following Ash's movie journey.

I doubt the movies are going to follow the same thing as the show. If you take out a large amount of the episodes that are mainly fillers, you probably could make a movie.

As you said, I just don't think they can extend the first episode to 90 minutes without the story and movie becoming boring. They will have to change a lot to make it interesting.

As I said, I don't think there is any way at all that they can do this without completely changing the story. I do no think it will play out like the show. They will have to skip a lot between movies, unless they make the plot constant.

I just don't think they would bring out one movie that has nothing to do with the generation and then change back to the original format. I think every Gen 7 movie will be Ash's Kanto JOurney.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I doubt this movie or ones that follow it would play out the same as the show either. There's certainly things they can add and change to make a movie out of the beginning of his journey and things that can be revised from what happened in season 1 and beyond.

Back