• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magnius Guide to Pokemon Music Hacking

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Ok I have an odd problem. Sappy works fine. It inserts music and plays it. But it plays it with no sound. 2 Days ago I made an unusual Discovery! I played a song I inserted into Emerald for kicks then hit play. I accidentally left it on playing since it wasnt playing any sound. Heres where it gets really odd...I go to Windows Media Player and Play a Midi on it. Then suddenly I hear Sappy Playing the midi i inserted with sound but also with WMP playing another Midi at the same time! Now when I hit stop on the midi on WMP the sound on sappy goes away? My question is:

How can you bring back the sound on Sappy without playing a midi on WMP at the same time?

Ps: my computer is Windows XP.
Sorry don't know if I have a solution for that.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
hi, i downloaded the rom tools and Mid2Agb doesnt work for me! there are a few apps in the folder named ld, as, mid2agb, and objcopy. i assume mid2agb is the program, but when i try to open it a command prompt window opens up for a split second and dissapears! anyone have any ideas?

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Apparently, Sappy 2005 (Since I'm using Vista) doesn't recognize the games and needs a song table or something...

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
hi, i downloaded the rom tools and Mid2Agb doesnt work for me! there are a few apps in the folder named ld, as, mid2agb, and objcopy. i assume mid2agb is the program, but when i try to open it a command prompt window opens up for a split second and dissapears! anyone have any ideas?
Drag the midi into mid2agb and you should get an .s file output. Simply clicking on the command prompt won't work.

Apparently, Sappy 2005 (Since I'm using Vista) doesn't recognize the games and needs a song table or something...
Use the song table from Sappy 2006.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
when i click on "assemble that ugly thing" i get that message with send or don't send and sappy is force closed. Any help?

Years
Never heard any messages like that. For some reason when I remixed a song it sounded fine in sappy. Then when I played it with visual boy advance it sounded really weird. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Following the tutorial,
I search for the .s file,
I imput this into the Base Destination Offset: 0xEB0B20,
Leave the Voicegroup Offset alone,
Then press 'Assemble that Ugly Thing', right?

Well, I get Runtime Error '13' Type Mismatch. Then Sappy stops working and has to get shut down.

Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
Nice tutorial Magnius. But when I go to click on assemble after selecting my song and putting in a offset, I get a error message. It says something wierd like a programer would use and it says byte and the song name and stuff XD. Have any idea on what's going on? Or did I do something wrong? It's really anyoying and I stayed up all last night trying to figure out the problem but no luck. Any help would be great. Thanks.

~gamehacker64

Mikester3050

Maker of Pokémon Painite
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2013
i hav just used ndssndext to extract all the MIDI files from pokemon diamond. anybody know the number of the battle theme all i know is that it is a four digit name with 0 as the first digit. anyone know?

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
I can't get sappy to even work. every time I try to open it, it says that vbalcbex6.ocx or one of i's dependances is missing. How can I fix that?

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
Every time I try to upload an .s file, like ones made from DPPt midis, and then when I try to play it, sappy crashes on me, is there any way to make it not crash?

Last edited:

AmineX

Music Expert
Years
madarawolf: I can't get sappy to even work. every time I try to open it, it says that vbalcbex6.ocx or one of i's dependances is missing. How can I fix that? April 8th, 2009 06:38 AM
Which OS are you using?
If you're using vista use this fixed sappy 2005 pack for vista LINK
Masterge77: Every time I try to upload an .s file, like ones made from DPPt midis, and then when I try to play it, sappy crashes on me, is there any way to make it not crash?
No there are no way.
Except if there a restore point dated before sappy crashing then restore your computer if you have one.

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
Awesome tutorial! However, i can't loop music... this is the song im trying to loop, but im not sure why it's not working... ( i have tried the other tutorial on this)
Spoiler:

Any help would be appreciated =]

Thanks,
Kronos

Larsie13

Awesome tutorial! However, i can't loop music... this is the song im trying to loop, but im not sure why it's not working... ( i have tried the other tutorial on this)
Spoiler:

Any help would be appreciated =]

Thanks,
Kronos
Well, that's an easy one. Each track has to have a different loop label. For instance, track 1 has wifi_loop_1, track 2 wifi_loop_2, etc. Because the game has to know where it has to loop to. And if each track has the same loop label, the first one encountered by the game is track 1's. Meaning, the game thinks it has to loop each track to the first one, which is impossible.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Following the tutorial,
I search for the .s file,
I imput this into the Base Destination Offset: 0xEB0B20,
Leave the Voicegroup Offset alone,
Then press 'Assemble that Ugly Thing', right?

Well, I get Runtime Error '13' Type Mismatch. Then Sappy stops working and has to get shut down.

If you're running sappy 2005, then I know what you're doing wrong. Instead of putting in 0xEB0B20, try &HEB0B20. If you're running 2006, then I dunno why it does that. :/

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
Why thank you Larsie! No wonder why I couldn't figure it out, i thought they all had to be the same loop name >.>

Thank you so much =]

And in response to Roy, I was having that problem. Using &H instead of 0x will work every time (for both)

Back