• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Journal] Backlog Zone: Act 1

pkmin3033

Welcome to my nearly-six-month-late Game Journal, in which I shall be (hopefully) chronicling everything I play (and have played) this year! I'll also be commenting on the news from time-to-time if anything in particular leaps out at me. Maybe an in-depth review or two at times if anyone is that interested in my ramblings.

2022 Goals
    - Complete at least 50 NEW games. This is Backlog Zone, so I should...y'know...tackle my backlog a little. Maybe.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler:

Upcoming Wishlist
    Spoiler:

Completed
    Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah that's a common complaint I've heard with Elden Ring. Lot of people feel the game is strong up through Leyndell, but then find it less enjoyable afterwards. Personally I don't mind Mountaintop and Farum, but Consecrated Snowfield and parts of Haligtree are kind of ass. Lake of Rot's only saving grace is that you can just run through most of it and not bother exploring since there's not much to see and not much of value to collect, minimizing the amount of time you have to spend in that place.

Bosses are rather hit-and-miss too I agree. Which is not a great thing for a series where one of the main parts of gameplay is the bosses. Really don't like Malenia, Mohg, and Godfrey myself to name a few. Nevermind the boss fights where they just mindlessly throw a pair of enemies at you and call it a day. Though sometimes I feel that it's less that there's something inherently wrong with general boss design in ER more that it's how the player character is still stuck in like 2009/2011, and so is mismatched with bosses here--they've been evolving over the past 11 years, the MC has not. Either way it's not a great sign since chances are they're just going to double down on shit in the future.

pkmin3033

Yeah that's a common complaint I've heard with Elden Ring. Lot of people feel the game is strong up through Leyndell, but then find it less enjoyable afterwards. Personally I don't mind Mountaintop and Farum, but Consecrated Snowfield and parts of Haligtree are kind of ass. Lake of Rot's only saving grace is that you can just run through most of it and not bother exploring since there's not much to see and not much of value to collect, minimizing the amount of time you have to spend in that place.

Bosses are rather hit-and-miss too I agree. Which is not a great thing for a series where one of the main parts of gameplay is the bosses. Really don't like Malenia, Mohg, and Godfrey myself to name a few. Nevermind the boss fights where they just mindlessly throw a pair of enemies at you and call it a day. Though sometimes I feel that it's less that there's something inherently wrong with general boss design in ER more that it's how the player character is still stuck in like 2009/2011, and so is mismatched with bosses here--they've been evolving over the past 11 years, the MC has not. Either way it's not a great sign since chances are they're just going to double down on shit in the future.
    I never bothered with the Haligtree in the end, I didn't find out about it until after I'd cleared Farum and I was a little (read: extremely) annoyed with the game at that point and didn't want to bother with any additional detours when the game had made it abundantly clear that they weren't going to make any difference whatsoever. I think I'd agree with you about the problem being with the character development more than the bosses though, there is a plateau in strength and once you reach it that's pretty much it; it falls back on the old Souls standby of having bosses hit ridiculously hard and forcing you to play a certain way or to die over and over and OVER until you basically learn by muscle memory what to do. Some of the bosses definitely go into cheating bastard territory - the lone Godskin Apostles stand out to me for this, as well as Godfrey and Radahn - but...well, every Souls game has bosses like that. Only the final boss was as bad as Flamelurker, at least.

But for me in this instance going back to that style of gameplay was a very sharp slap in the face after being free to develop my character as I pleased and overcome these challenges in my own way. I mean, a lot of the bosses killed me early on, but being able to go out and grind a bit and find stronger gear/better spells/abilities, or even ignore these bosses entirely, was what made Elden Ring so appealing. Having it go back to the old, limited Souls gameplay at the end was so...cheap. I only really struggled with the final boss - and then because he had a fondness for flying out of reach and firing homing missiles that did stupid amounts of damage - but I didn't enjoy being forced through a gauntlet of bosses that hit like trucks, rendering all my character development pointless. May as well have just ignored it all and gone without armour for all the difference it made. I just...thought the game was better than this. I thought they'd learned something. Everything I'd seen, read, watched, and most importantly played myself, suggested that they had. But...well, nope. Still the same Souls. Only I had to spend 30 hours on it to find that out.

I have to wonder where they'll go from here, though. I think they've created an expectation that there will be more open worlds like this in the future, because this is the biggest amount of hype I've seen over an open world game since Breath of the Wild. I think this is a better example of a good open world than BOTW, because there is much more to do and it's far more rewarding to actually do it, but it falls short thanks to the awful ending hours, and I don't think they're going to learn from their mistakes.

pkmin3033

Spoiler:

Well, give or take a few minutes and seconds. My reservation time was 19:05:40 on the 16th of July last year, and the Deck came around 12:20ish. I actually got this yesterday, but I spent pretty much the entire day downloading games - turns out I couldn't just pop in a Micro SD card with games already on it and have them play, who knew? Guess technology isn't quite that convenient yet! - and trying to figure out how things work. In the end...it was a very exhausting and debilitating day. I managed to get Emulation Station up and running with two Zelda titles - PrimeHack is next as soon as I get around to it! - to start me off, but I failed spectacularly at getting Assassin's Creed Odyssey to work because Ubisoft are a bunch of cupid stunts, and I've decided to roll with my laptop and a DS4 for MH Rise because mod support is severely lacking on Deck right now and of all the ways I've played it thus far (Switch, Deck, and PC with Hori Mini Pro Controller) that is actually the most comfortable. But yeah! Starting off with Dragon Quest XI and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night on it, two things I have been thinking about replaying for a while but didn't really want to brave on Switch again.

On Switch itself I've gone back to Shin Megami Tensei V finally, after having abandoned it in the wake of BDSP and just not getting around to it again until now. I've got until the 24th to finish it (Fire Emblem 3 Hopes will no doubt consume me entirely when I get it, because it's a Warriors game and that's just what they do, no matter how bad they are) and I...probably won't, haha. But thus far it's been pretty enjoyable. I also bought Loopers yesterday and I plan on reading that during my downtime...although if I see the words "cat box" in it anywhere I'm uninstalling it. I'm honestly quite wary of trying another Ryushiki VN after Umineko turned out to be absolute trash, but it can't be THAT bad, right...?

Also bought Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Megamix+ on Steam to play every now and then. I need to re-train my brain for this though - the last Miku game I played was Megamix on Switch. AB and XY on the Switch are inverted on the Deck. I've changed the controller configuration so that I'm supposed to press the buttons that are on the screen (i.e. when it tells me A I press A and not B, which is where A would be) but...I keep pressing the wrong buttons anyway. Hrmn. But I really want to get good at it this time, which means hisokee tutorial videos, mapping triple holds to buttons, and probably several hundred hours of pain. There are 250 songs, and I need to clear 100 of them in Extreme or EX Extreme for one of the achievements...god help me. I'll give up before I do this, I'm sure. But I do love Project Diva games, and there is a nice mix of old and new in here, since a lot of it is from Future Tone which I never got around to playing.

Last edited:
    Back