• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is Pokemon Yellow based on the anime?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Topic, i ask becuase there are anime exclusive characters and character clothes (in addition to trainers having their anime counterparts pokemon...except Gary/Blue/Green)

Also if that's true, it's the only game where Ash can catch an Eevee

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Yes. The team rocket fight and following Pikachu that refuses evolution are anime based. So Yellow is based off of the anime in some ways. I also think you can catch Pidgeotto in Viridian and the player character Red is tweaked to look like somewhat like Ash.the front sprites also have been revised. So GF was trying to cash in on the animes huge popularity by changing some details in RB and incorporating anime aspects. It's not 100% anime based though. Otherwise we would be handed half our badges

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Topic, i ask becuase there are anime exclusive characters and character clothes (in addition to trainers having their anime counterparts pokemon...except Gary/Blue/Green)

Yes, it's an anime tie-in adaptation of Pok?mon Red/Green/Blue. People erroneously refer to it as the 'third version' of the first generation, but it's not. That's Pok?mon Blue (of which the international releases are based on).

The reason why the rival's team is what it is, is because at the time Yellow came out, his team was a complete mystery.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Pokemon Yellow isn?t based on the Anime but is heavily influenced by it. Jessie&James encounters, the Trainer A.J. with his 100 win Sandshrew, Joe(with his Weepinbell) and Gisselle(with her Cubone) from the Pokemon Prepatory school, encountering Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, and being able to acquire all 3 Kanto starters are some Anime inspired additions to the base Red/Blue version(with some changes to Gym Leaders and Rival teams).

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Would've been cool if it was really different, like Brock and Misty do leave their posts after defeat, etc... but too much work for GF.
Only superficial differences.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Would've been cool if it was really different, like Brock and Misty do leave their posts after defeat, etc... but too much work for GF.
Only superficial differences.

Well Brock does mention that he wants to become a breeder post defeat but I forget if it?s a Yellow exclusive dialogue(pretty sure he says that in Red/Blue as well). Misty is locked in her Gym prison so technically they got that part right, although if I were to create her team for LGE/LGP, it?d be Four Pokemon deep(Psyduck, Staryu line and Gyrados). There?s also the surfing Pikachu mini-game that?s based on the Surfing Pikachu Episode from the Anime(and takes a bit of work to get a Pikachu that knows Surf from Pokemon Stadium). Can?t really think of anything else that I haven?t already mentioned.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
It's not based off it, just inspired by it. There's the Pikachu being the only starter available, and Jessie & James, plus some anime inspired plots (getting all the kanto starters, for example). It's still really just a modified Red/Blue with better graphics...

The only game with mostly anime characters is Pokemon Puzzle League, btw. Which was an american made game to start with.

Last edited:

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2020
"Inspired by" as in borrowing some ideas but certainly not most of them.

The reason why the rival's team is what it is, is because at the time Yellow came out, his team was a complete mystery.
They probably figured that he needed a new starter (a random typical starter rivaling Pikachu would have been awkward) and that meant rebalancing his team. Maybe if the anime hadn't been on hiatus, Blue's Sandslash would have been a Nidoking/Nidoqueen and his Ninetales would have been an Arcanine.

The fact that Blue never used this team in later games suggests that Yellow is non-canon, and yet Red's team implies otherwise. It doesn't really matter due to the minimal story differences, but it's easier to imagine that Red got his starters via trading (with Blue, for starters) and Pikachu via Viridian Forest. Why would Blue dump his entire team?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
"Inspired by" as in borrowing some ideas but certainly not most of them.

Obviously, if they were going to take Red/Green/Blue as a basis, not everything could be implemented.

The fact that Blue never used this team in later games suggests that Yellow is non-canon, and yet Red's team implies otherwise. It doesn't really matter due to the minimal story differences, but it's easier to imagine that Red got his starters via trading (with Blue, for starters) and Pikachu via Viridian Forest. Why would Blue dump his entire team?

Red's team is meant to reflect every player's Kanto journey, it has nothing to do with the anime. Therefore he has all three starters + Pikachu (for those who played Yellow), Snorlax (that every player faces) and Eevee/Lapras (that every player receives as a gift).

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
OK thank you, darn, so Ash didn't get an Eevee even in a pokemon game for the GB/GBC

sigh

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2020
I never mentioned the anime, but Yellow could explain how Red came to have that team without resorting to trading. But it's a minor point given Blue's team and the lack of references to Jessie and James (which is odd, because DP referenced random movie characters and ORAS did the same for Alain).

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Trading, and the inability to obtain the starters in the wild, is merely a gameplay mechanic. In-universe (for lack of a better term), there's no limitation. Same for version exclusives.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
Elements like Jessie and James NOT having Meowth follow them and for them NOT to literally attack you at every turn. And yea, no Brock/Misty following you/helping you in battles. And Pikachu does NOT shock you arrogantly before you grow attached to it, it simply remains neutral in-game.

But the fact that there even IS a Jessie/James duo and even having Giovanni's Rhydon/Kangaskhan replaced with a Persian was a neat twist. But Sabrina doesn't have a lone Abra when you fight her in-game; she has Kadabra and Alakazam as well, and evolving DURING a match, really? (Also applying to Koga's Vanonat in the anime as well, seriously, what??) Oh, and kids, if you watch the show first, you might be told (albeit in an implied fashion) that Haunter (or Gengar, but we're focusing on direct links to the show, meaning the ghost Ash actually caught) can somehow defeat Psychic types and not suffer that much consequence. .....I'm gonna get ranty here, because the show's writers apparently forgot about the fact that all Gen1 ghosts are ALSO COUPLE WITH THE POISON TYPE!!! So why even, in-game, go through the effort of raising a lv30-50 Gengar to fight Sabrina, when YOU WILL MOST LIKELY LOSE! That's right, kids, your favourite anime's writers are either not interested in the game, or out-right lied!!

Moving on to my favourite part; the fact that Yellow is the only game.... That. Legitimately. Gives. You. ALL. THREE. STARTERS! A crazy concept at the time. (Sure, X/Y gives you a Kanto pokemon, and many such examples which would warrant its own post.) But, seriously, this means that you get to roam throughout Kanto with a Venusaur, a Charizard AND a Blastoise. Childhood me, high five!

We may have individual points to criticize on both the anime and game, and no opinion is really wrong. (So long it's not a trollish 'Gen 1 is always superior/inferior!!') I've prolly forgot to outline a few crucial details, but I got a few of em down! :nod: Hope you learn a bit from my opinions. :wink-right-eye: And thx for being awesome!

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Yellow is kinda like an odd in between for me.

Technically, no.. Yellow isn't much like the anime either... some examples: a Team Rocket Meowth that plays no key role, anime locations like "Gringey City" lacking in Kanto game map... little things like Misty and her Togepi, etc... but then they did make "Ash's" Pikachu behave simular to the cartoon.
Still, I'd hardly say Yellow qualifies as a "manga version", but still is closer than blue/red/green in that respect.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
OK thank you, darn, so Ash didn't get an Eevee even in a pokemon game for the GB/GBC

sigh

In Red/Blue/Yellow, "Ash" receives Eevee in Celadon City. It's in the building w/ back entry stairway, in the tiny classroom on the rooftop. Eevee is in the pokeball on the classroom desk.

edit... don't rat me out for double posting...

Last edited:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I meant Yellow, which is a GB game in japan. And i thought Red in yellow IS Ash

ok you didn't mention that till now... instantly assumed you must mean English version and not pre-international release.
Idk what the deal is w/ JPN original, beyond foolishly buying a green cartridge many years ago w/ the idea of making the game more challenging for myself by not being able to read/comprehend anything. Can't remember much from those runs tbh because i couldn't read/comprehend anything in that game.

Technically, the "hero" in all of 1st Gen is modeled after Ash... just not a very good in-depth representation of it.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Technically, the "hero" in all of 1st Gen is modeled after Ash... just not a very good in-depth representation of it.

No, it's the other way around. Ash is based on Red, the player character of Red/Green/Blue.

Yellow is a version of the original game, but based on the anime. So you could say that the player character of that version in particular is 'Ash'.

Back