• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greninja's successor as the #1 most popular ever during 7th Pokémon Generation?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2021
    Greninja had originally been crowned as Japan's #1 most popular Pokémon of all Generations I-VI during the Japanese promo of the 19th Pokémon movie until the other Pokémon has succeeded Greninja as so during the 7th Pokémon Generation, I think. So, do you think that the other Pokémon have succeeded Greninja as the #1 most popular Pokémon during the seventh Pokémon generation? If so, which Pokémon do you think have done so? Or if not, please tell me why not? Please let me know when have your reply. Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Japan showing off its bad taste as usual I see. Feraligatr > the bloated marketing tool known as Greninja. Well at least they aren't worshipping pokemon based off tier lists, just mindless fan hype.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2019
    Mimikyu is definitely the most popular Alola Pokemon. I mean it even got its own music video, and it featured heavily in the anime. Lycanroc also might be popular, cos furry bait. and anime.

Also, regarding Japan having "bad taste" I think it's because of the anime. Believe it or not, the anime is still doing really well there, and it always has been. I actually have a Japanese friend who only recently started playing the Pokemon games, but had been a fan her whole life - cos she had been watching the anime every week since she was a kid. Whereas over here... sure people still watch it but it's not the powerhouse it was in the 90's.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Greninja is a great Pokemon.... but I don't see the reason why it's THAT overhyped.

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Honestly, I never really understood why Pokemon like Greninja are so Popular. I understand that Mimikyu has a weird charm to it, but lets be honest, Greninja kind of sucks in PvE, and it cant take even a Water-type move in competitive. It dies. So quickly. I think that the Japanese poll results are mainly from young children who watched the show and saw the rats*** known as Ash-Greninja. I understand that there are anomalies in the anime, but there is no way in fricking hell that that should even exist. Why Greninja? There are so many pokemon that deserved more attention. Its not even like Greninja made TPIC millions. Ash-Greninja was given away for free in a demo.

Years
  • I always felt they're trying to artificially create hype for certain Pokémon. As far as I can remember, it started with Lucario. Taking decent Pokémon and overhyping it isn't really appealing to me. And putting another overhyped form on top of it doesn't work. If they named it different and made same form for more Pokémon and tied it more to XY games, you know, something like Eternal Floette. They even have same color scheme. and Eternal Greninja sounds much cooler that Ash-Greninja.
    I would say TPC/GF are trying to make Mimikyu new Greninja. While fans are trying to make Tsareena new Gardevoir Greninja. For oblivious reasons.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • I'll admit its pretty decent in battle, but there are sooo many alternatives, that we cannot condone the way GF/TPCI overhypes crap like this. I actually think the "cashgrabs" are celver and have no problem if they hype a pokemon for money. But the fact that it's only one pokemon that is now washed out is annoying. Soon they'll ruin Mimikyu and whatever pokemon is replacing Greninja. Why can;t they pick a less popular pokemon like, say, Wishiwashi? It's not unpopular by any means, but it's fanbase is close to zero.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Answer to this is rather simple: Incineroar. I mean sure a case can be made for Lycanroc due to its Dusk form and Red Eyes Power-up but you know darn well it's going to be Incineroar(when Torracat eventually evolves that is). Nearly all of Ash's Fire Types prove to be his strongest: Charizard for Kanto/Johto and Infernape for Sinnoh. Even Pignite wasn't that bad for him in Unova(only starter to evolve). Only Fire Type to be a let-down was Torkoal(to me anyway, although that's because Ash couldn't get Torchic(and ultimately Blaziken) due to May having it(plus it gave the opportunity to hype Sceptile)). Talonflame was a pretty good Pokemon but it was overshadowed by Greninja.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I feel like Greninja's popularity in Japan is mostly due to it's resemblance to Naruto. Probably one of the most overrated Pokémon in existence.

lol Japan loves fake ninjas like Naruto the orange jumpsuit ninja jesus. As always Japan's tastes leave something to be desired.

Back