• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dolce and Gabbana under fire for racism

Years
Dolce and Gabbana was possibly my favorite brand. I loved their fun but subtle designs. However, their advertisement choices and response show anything but good taste.

This news video begins with their recent controversial ad. I thought we could discuss together.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=594Q9CJQbD4

More disturbingly, disparaging comments appeared on Stefano's Instagram account, which he claims was hacked. I included this link because the previous video didn't specify what was said. This content is upsetting, but just to have the full context you can see screen stills of the conversation here.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...a-racist-dolce-and-gabbana-comments-firestorm

Dolce and Gabbana Apology
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...3/18108763/dolce-and-gabbana-china-ad-apology

Thanks, but I think I can find some better places to shop at from now on...

Years
I heard about this and before I say my piece...

DISCLAIMER: Of course I feel the content of the instagram exchange is, of course, disgusting. Real or not. But that is not what my comment will focus on, I want talk about the impact of the advert alone.

I have a hard time feeling sympathy for the Chinese who are extremely quick to call out brands/people/countries for doing something that could be seen as even slightly culturally ignorant towards China. As there is also very much a habit of going on the defensive if China is caught in a scandal of displaying thoughtlessly ignorant behaviour towards another culture: "that is not racist, no ill will was intended so it isn't racist you are just looking for a way to insult China how dare you etc."

I'm sure the advert meant no ill feelings towards China at all, and by many Chinese's own logic (of when China itself is caught in a race scandal) that then makes the advert decidedly not racist and not in need of an apology.

As this, and this, and this - none created to cause ill will (which I do actually completely believe) and two even created to apparently "show the special bond developing between China and Africa" but all having obviously ignorant and thoughtless displays of how to portray another culture/race (a culture and race that has a terrible history of being portrayed less than human no less) apparently aren't racist if you ask many Chinese people. "They're not setting out to cause harm so they aren't racist!!!11!!!1!" Well was the Dolce & Gabbana advert setting out to cause Chinese people pain?

Ultimately I feel the Chinese are of course deserving of an apology for the advert if they feel it is offensive towards their culture. But since many people here still don't understand (or even want to admit) it goes both ways and that China is not a special exception; my first thought when something like this happens is the hypocritical nature of the Chinese rather than sympathy for them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
That ad is very cringe. It shows more ignorance than just plain racism.
I don't buy that overpriced shit anyway.

Back