• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: Game Jam 2016

Years

• Pokécommunity Game Jam 2016

Blinded By The Fright

Welcome to the Pokécommunity Game Jam 2016! This is the first official Jam I personally have hosted, and it's the first one on Pokécommunity in a while, so I hope we all can work hard to make this a fun event for both participants and viewers. I trust you'll have some questions, so I've anticipated a few below:

mej, what even is a Game Jam?
    A Game Jam is a fun competition in which participants can make a short game (fulfilling a theme in this case) and enter it in a contest. You'll only be allowed one entry per person, so make it a good one! (If you submitted already, and it's still before the deadline, you can submit again. Your new submission will replace your old one). Special emblems will be given to the top 3 entries, and all completed entries will receive an emblem for participation.

What tools am I allowed to use in making this game?
    You can use any game engine you want, or even submit a ROM hack. Since the vast majority will either be making ROM hacks or RMXP projects using Essentials, most of this post will be addressing those, but pretty much anything you want to use is acceptable (as long as you follow the theme, and your project can be played on Windows).

Wait, what's the theme you mentioned?
    The theme for this jam is to make use of a particular feature, partially impairing the vision of the player, similar to the Dewford Town gym
    f63335b4454ad47e2150f47fed426881.gif
    You can find instructions on how to do this in Pokémon Essentials here.
    You can find instructions on how to do this in a ROM Hack here (link pending. If a ROM hacker knows of a thread that explains how to utilize it, please inform me.).
    If you're using another public engine, and want to share how to accomplish this, please let me know and I'll add it to this post.
    While this theme may seem like an odd theme, the only limit is your imagination. Perhaps the player wakes up in a dark dungeon, and needs to find their way up and out. Or perhaps the player needs to navigate through a haunted house. It's up to you!

When does it start?
    It's already begun! October 1st, 2016 is the official starting date, and submissions are accepted from now until the deadline.

When is the submission deadline?
    All submissions are due by 11:59 GMT on October 27th (Will this give us enough time to judge?), and the winners will be revealed on October 31st.
    Convert your local time to GMT here

How do I submit?
    You'll simply PM your submission to me (mej71) here on Pokécommunity.
    Please follow this format in your submission:
    • Team Members (links to Pokécommunity profile. If non-users, they will be credited, but cannot receive any emblems):
    • Entry Title:
    • Tagline for game (a 1-2 sentence description):
    • Engine used (or ROM base):
    • Apprx Game Length:
    • Download Link (direct download link only, no adfly or the like):
    • Credits (include any and all resources not made by you, and ensure you have permission to use them):
    • Specify any custom assets that you wish to not be made public:
    • Additional Info:
    Your submission should not be in an encrypted format

Are teams allowed?
    Yes, you can have up to 2 people on a team. As stated before, only one entry per person, so you can't be a member of multiple teams.
    (Clarification: Team member doesn't have a hard definition, but if someone does a significant amount of work on the project, they would be considered a team member)

Does it need to be a Pokémon game?
    Nope, it can be anything you want. Most users will probably stick with Pokémon since there's base kits with most of the functionality already, allowing them to quickly get started on the other aspects, but it's not a requirement.
    No additional points will be rewarded for making a non-Pokémon game.

Cool, so how will we be judged?
    There are 5 categories, each worth 5 points.
    • Mapping - doesn't have to be crazy unique to get high marks, just decent mapping layout
    • Graphics - Consistent graphics style (not mixing 3rd and 4th gen OWs, etc. UI doesn't count against you if you use Essentials UI or EBS)
    • Gameplay - Is the game fun, and not too difficult to figure out what to do
      • Points will be deducted for bad level scaling (this is a short game, players shouldn't have to grind more than once or twice)
    • Story - This one's obviously more opinionated, but points will be based on clarity of story and ability to capture the intrigue of the player
      • Points will be deducted for excessive spelling/grammar errors
    • Sound - Music choices match the overall tone of the area/game

Can I use custom tiles/art/music?
    Yes. While the games will be posted publicly for download after judging, the assets in them are subject to the whims of the creators. As such, games with closed assets will be mentioned next to the download. People submitting are encouraged to specify any assets they want to remain forbidden.

Judges

Note: judges may submit an entry for fun, but their games will not be eligible for judgement

Submitted Entries
    • Pokémon Fantasma - TheRollinSpheal
      • Description: Unravel the tales of mysterious legends and folklore in Pokemon Fantasma!
      • Download Link: Download here!
      • Apprx Game Length: 30 minutes
    • Steve the Bibarel : Heart of Darkness - SpartaLazor and Robo5yoshi
      • Description: Steve the Bibarel wakes up with no memories, lost in a world on the verge of being corrupted by the Darkness. He quickly finds himself thrust into the role of defeating the Darkness once and for all.
      • Apprx Game Length: 2 hours
      • Note: Aqua Tail is your friend
    • "Touhou Puppet Play ~ The Mansion of Mystery"- Derxwna Kapsyla
      • Description: A group of friends go out to explore a rumor about a mysterious mansion. What will await them along the way to The Mansion of Mystery?
      • Apprx Game Length: 2-4 hours
      • NOTE: All assets used in this game are exlusive to this game, do not copy without permission from the author

Once all judging is done (hopefully October 31st), all entries will be put into a public post for the community to play and enjoy.
    If you have any other questions or concerns, please respond to this post with them, and I will try to answer them appropriately.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Made a slight adjustment to the RMXP script (changed Graphics.update to pbWait(1) ). Not a huge difference, but it will look nicer.

Back