• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon rap

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Do any of y'all listen to Pokemon rap? How do y'all feel about it?

And when I say Pokemon rap, I'm not talking like those weak (yet funny) Pokemon battle rap parodies. I'm talkin' the subgenre itself.

If you haven't listened to the Pokemon Cypher 2016, I'd recommend you listen to it. The music video for the 2016 cypher was shot and directed by Jakob Owens, who is the man behind all of Futuristic's music videos (an independent artist out of my homestate. #AZUP).

Thanks to several artists who have made contributions over the year, Pokemon rap has gained serious traction as a subgenre. The Pokemon Cypher has over a million views on YouTube. Artists like Shofu and Matt Houston have consistently been working and releasing Pokemon rap themed songs. Shofu is even working on a tape called "Trap Ketchum"

All and all, I would recommend this if you love rap music and Pokemon. What do you guys think?

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    I've listened to a fair few things from the likes of Shofu and I'm really not a fan. It's impressive however that they've managed to incorporate something such as Pokémon so heavily into a genre such as rap.

It really is impressive, from the funny wordplay to some of the rhyme schemes they use, it makes for an interesting flow.

Aye I seen you like the comment I made in the thread about VI Seconds. You listen to his music? Dudes a dope artist, to go from making raps about video games, comic books, TV shows, etc, he moved onto become a very well rounded artist. He placed second in a contest by Funk Volume, DFUOB6. My favorite song by him is Last Laugh, a very conscious song.

He also has more music over on his SoundCloud. He has a song called Wonder Woman he did with Witt Lowry and Devvon Terrell. Witt Lowry is one of my independent favorites, and Devvon Terrell is a very well rounded artist as well. He also did a tape with Futuristic.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have never heard of this... Interesting xD I'll youtube it when I have time.

Moving this to PGen since it's pokémon related.

Last edited:

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    I have never heard of this... Interesting xD I'll youtube it when I have time.

Moving this to PGen since it's pokémon related.

You know how Designer says he's got broads in Atlanta? The Poke rappers got broads out in Johto xD

I definitely would recommend some of the artists. Check out the 2016 Pokemon Cypher! Or the 2013. The 2016 one is leagues better in terms of quality and the artist roster. Also, check out Shofu's page. He's got tons of Wifi battle videos, his Pokemon raps and he has a separate channel for his regular music that doesn't involve Pokemon as the subject matter.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Actually surprised that the subgenre exists.. Not a fan of rape, but since Poketubers like Strong Jaw Joey are in the videos, I'm going to watch their rap videos.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Actually surprised that the subgenre exists.. Not a fan of rape, but since Poketubers like Strong Jaw Joey are in the videos, I'm going to watch their rap videos.

IMO his verse is the weakest lolol. Matt Houston and VI Seconds kill it at the end. Shofu Tha Beatdown freestyles his verse, which is always dope. Rogersbase got a nice flow though.

TheJWittz is on the 2013 cypher too!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    IMO his verse is the weakest lolol. Matt Houston and VI Seconds kill it at the end. Shofu Tha Beatdown freestyles his verse, which is always dope. Rogersbase got a nice flow though.

TheJWittz is on the 2013 cypher too!

Then the jaw is not that strong I guess. ;p

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Then the jaw is not that strong I guess. ;p

Definitely not xD lolol

Like, what bothers me most is the fact that he was the YOUNGSTER on the cypher, his name is JOEY and HE DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT TOP PERCENTAGE like come on dude you coulda had so much good wordplay there xD

Back