• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hoenn/Kanto Journey Journal - Want to share your travelling stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    Just restarted a new game in Pokemon FireRed. I chose Bulbasaur as my starter. The first Pokemon I caught was Pidgey, who will become my second staple member. My Pidgey beat Gary's Pidgey easily, and my Bulbasaur also beat his Charmander. After that battle, I headed for Viridian Forest and caught a female Pikachu. I'm training her up around Viridian City before I go through the forest. The next Pokemon for me to catch is Magikarp or Growlithe.

Years
  • In Leafgreen:

It was the start of a new journey. I picked Squirtle as my starter Pokemon and my rival chose Bulbasaur. As I was leaving Prof Oak's lab, he wanted a battle.

Next stop is Viridian City.

Years
  • This is over a few days of playing:

Taught Milotic Toxic, and then I moved on to battle the 8th gym. It ended up being incredibly easy; I OHKO'd most of his Pokémon with Manectric's Thunderbolt, save for Whiscash and Kingdra. Whiscash went down pretty easily despite the fact that I don't have a Grass type thanks to Flygon's Earthquake. Kingdra was a pain because of its Double Team, but he only managed to kill Manectric before I brought it down.

I then went to Victory Road with my new Waterfall HM...Wally caught me off guard (I thought he was closer to the end of VR rather than the beginning), but I had no problem destroying him. I made it through the cave with little difficulty and moved on to the E4. The first two battles were actually the toughest, especially Phoebe, because I didn't have anything that was super effective on her. She took me a while, but I defeated her and moved on to slaughter Glacia and Drake. It seems like I should have leveled up my Pokémon one more level each, though, because it seemed like every time I hit their Pokémon with a super effective attack, they would survive with a tiny amount of HP! >:-{ But I still beat them fairly easily despite their healing items and went on to face Wallace.

Long story short...it was not an epic battle. OHKO'd most of his with Manectric's Thunderbolt, and I outstalled his Milotic in the end with my own Milotic's Toxic (luckily, unlike Juan's Kingdra, this Milotic didn't have Rest). This was the only match that I used Gyarados in (not much can survive his Double-Edge), and I don't think I had to use a single one of the many healing items I bought before entering. Oh, well. I was crowned the new Champion and later invited to the Battle Frontier.

WOW! I don't think I've ever been to the Battle Frontier before, but that place is HUGE! I started off with the Battle Tower because that's where I knew the rules; with the first 7 victories (in the double battle room) I started off with Manectric and Gyarados for Manectric's Rain Dance/Thunder/Surf combo, with Gardevoir and Flygon waiting in the wings, but for the next set I ditched Manectric in favor of Blaziken and put Flygon out at front, hoping to strike my enemies down early with Earthquake (as Gyarados is immune). This strategy worked for a while, as there wasn't much that could take a hit from STAB Earthquake or Gyarados' vicious Double-Edge, but even though the battles were easy I still went down after 20 wins. That's when the Alakazam showed up, and it was sporting both Ice Punch and Thunderpunch (x4 super effective to Flygon and Gyarados, and so it OHKO'd both of them). To make matters worse, she had two other Psychic-types, which was bad luck for my Blaziken. I killed off Alakazam and her Hitmontop, but Blaziken went down to Mr. Mime's Psychic and Gardevoir couldn't handle both Mr. Mime and Hypno on her own. :( If that Alakazam hadn't been there...grr...

After that I decided to level up my Pokémon to level 50 and do some mini EV training as I did it. I haven't EV trained this team at all, but I don't think they're anywhere close to the maximum EV level. Milotic gained 9 HP off her last level when I trained her against the Marril in Petalburg, and the rest of mine experienced significant boosts, as well--Gyarados, Flygon, and Blaziken in attack, Manectric and Gardevoir in Special Attack. I then tackled the Battle Pyramid and had to figure out how the heck it worked, but fortunately the first series was Pokémon that liked to Paralyze me, meaning mainly Electric-types, and I had Flygon to deal with that. Made it through there after a while of wandering through the dark, and then I was done with that session.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I don't think I said I was going to do this before, but I restarted FireRed with the intent to complete it with just two Pokemon. Those two being Charizard and Gyarados. I'm currently at Fuschia City and I'm about to head off into the Safari Zone so that I can get the HM for Surf. After that I'm going to take on Koga, move on to Saffron City, defeat Team Rocket at Silph Co., take on Sabrina, etc, etc. I'll update again once I've completed a few of those tasks.

Current Team
    Charizard Lv.50
    - Flamethrower
    - Wing Attack
    - Brick Break
    - Slash

Gyarados Lv.50
    - Hydro Pump
    - Bite
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt

iShini

Go, Mah Giant Piplup!
    Years
  • And after about a year of on-and-off and on-and-off again of training the team in FireRed, Harley has beaten the Elite Four and the Champion! And it wasn't that hard either, as I thought I would have to train some more. XD;

Right now, I'm trying to get to the Sevii Islands to explore. 8D

Years
  • ARGH!!!!!!

I hate the Battle Tower...I'm doing fine, usually killing all of my opponent's Pokémon with Flygon alone, but I'm on my 14th battle today and this lady sends out a Sharpedo. I'm a little worried because I know it's probably faster than all of my Pokémon, but I'm thinking I'm okay as long as it doesn't know Ice Beam. Well, it uses Surf, and I'm relieved...at least, until my Flygon's HP drops to 0 and the screen announces it was a CRITICAL HIT! I'm a little irked, but I send in Milotic to wall the Surf and to stall it to death with Toxic, like I've done with tons of other Water-types. Of course, Sharpedo is faster, and it nails me with Double-Edge. I watch helplessly as Milotic's HP drops all the way down to the low red zone, because Sharpedo has somehow managed to score another Critical Hit--2 in a row! And I missed with Toxic, not that it mattered, because it killed Milotic next turn and my last Pokémon was a Blaziken who went down after one Surf.

The frustrating thing is, even if he had only gotten one critical hit, I would have been able to take him down, as I doubt he could have survived Flygon's Earthquake and Milotic would have been able to Recover/Leftovers enough to stay alive as Sharpedo battered itself to death against her with Double-Edge (as its Double-Edge was just too weak to 2HKO me), even if I missed with Toxic. I hate it when I lose battles purely by bad luck...

Oh, but I did beat the Battle Pike and the Pike Queen...incredibly easy.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
  • Recent Happenings in Emerald

Yay, I finally caught Registeel! I eventually did it by getting it to low HP and putting it to sleep, and used only three Ultra Balls in the process. I nicknamed it Mithril upon catching it.

Then I used my retro GBA to do some trades with my Sapphire. First I traded Misty, my Seadra, with a Gyarados--and Misty evolved to Kingdra. Then I traded Aqualad, my new Clamperl, for Misty--and Aqualad evolved to Gorebyss. Then I traded the Gyarados for Aqualad. So now I have a Kingdra and Gorebyss to train!

After that I confronted Team Aqua. Getting through the Seafloor Cavern wasn't too hard, except I had to make my Linoone an HM slave in the process. So it rained heavily for a while, I flew to Sootopolis, went into the Cave of Origin, went to the Sky Pillar to talk to Rayquaza, went to Sootopolis to witness Rayquaza stopping the fight between Kyogre and Groudon, blah blah blah... Then I went back to the Sky Pillar and battled Rayquaza... but it was level 70 and I was fighting with a team of level 40's. I tried capturing Rayquaza, but soon it KO'd my team. I think I'll come back to it when my Pokemon get stronger...

Years
  • More proof that The Computer is a Cheating B*****d tonight: I was in the Battle Dome, swept the first two tournies with no problem, blah, blah, blah. I made it to the finals of the third tourney with little problem; my opponent had a Skarmory and a Nidoqueen against my Milotic and Gardevoir. Milotic KOs Skarmory easily, then fires off a Surf at Nidoqueen. Nidoqueen barely survives, hits back, Milotic survives as well. I go to finish it off with Surf, and it gets saved by its Focus Band. I don't think I've ever gotten saved by Focus Band, so I had no idea what was happening at that point, haha. Anyway, it takes the extra turn that it was granted to kill Milotic, so I sent in Gardevoir to finish it off. It's faster anyway, and the Nidoqueen's at 1 HP. No problem, right?

I didn't count on the Focus Band saving it again when I hit it with Psychic. Or again, when I tried a second time. Focus Band saved that Nidoqueen three times in a row. At that point, I looked up Focus Band to see if it had an effect I didn't know about--did it automatically save you against super-effective attacks or something? I found out that it has a 10% chance of saving you ONCE. This Nidoqueen was saved three times. Anyone wanna figure out the odds of that happening? :P I still won the match cause the Nidoqueen was stupid, but it was frustrating.

OddBrad

Battlefield
    Years
  • Totally forgot I'd restarted fire red D: Will have to get my ditto for the 4th gen games from Leaf Green, however, this has spurred me on to complete Fire Red again :)

I'm currently in Mount Moon with my level nine Nidoran (male), level sixteen Venasaur and my level thirteen Spearow. This is my least favourite place in the entire pokemon universe :( To quote a song, I'll 'slap a b****' if I see another Zubat.

EDIT: Just saw one. /slap

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Part three of my FireRed adventure...

(it's funny, I've put off doing this so long that I've gotten to the League HQ now...)

Before doing anything else in Vermilion, I went to Route 11 to train some more. While there, I fought the trainers and also did a little catching. Among my captures was another Spearow, which I traded for Ch'ding the Farfetch'd. Adding this new member to the party (replacing Mankey), along with replacing Oddish temporarily with Diglett, we made way to the S.S. Anne. Boarding the ship, we made progress challenging the trainers onboard, and Ch'ding ended up proving himself as an asset during these battles.

Before entering the captain's cabin, Green challenged us again, but it was an easy battle. Greedo once again demolished Pidgeotto, Raticate was eradicated by Julius, Ch'ding ended up smashing Wartortle, and even Hobbes got in on the action and took down his Kadabra with ease. I got the Cut HM and taught it to Oddish, boxing Ch'ding since he would be no help with the Electric-type gym.

The battle with Lt. Surge came soon enough, and wasn't really that challenging. Julius and Greedo beat Voltorb and Pikachu, respectively, and Diglett had an easy time with Raichu as well. With the third badge earned, we made our way through Diglett's Cave, picked up Flash, went back to Pewter where I picked up the Old Amber, then ran through Mt. Moon at record speed and caught a Clefairy while I was at it.

Leaving Cerulean to the east this time, we headed along Route 9 to Rock Tunnel, which wasn't too hard, but annoying. By this point, Diglett had evolved and was a little overleveled compared to the rest of the team, and so I boxed him in favor of Ch'ding. After finally getting out of Rock Tunnel, I headed to Celadon, where I obtained Eevee, went a little west to get the Fly HM. amd challenged the Celadon Gym.

Erika wasn't too bad- Ch'ding dispatched Victreebel with a critical Fly, Beedrill finished Tangela with Twineedle, and Greedo's Ember burnt Vileplume to a crisp. With that, I had easily won four badges, switched Oddish with Dugtrio so I'd have more power for the hideout blitzkrieg and saved my progress...

Current Team
    *Greedo (Charmeleon, lvl 30, Bold)
    -Scratch, Growl, Ember, Metal Claw
    *Julius (Nidorino, lvl 28, Lax)
    -Peck, Poison Sting, Horn Attack, Double Kick
    *Hobbes (Meowth, lvl 28, Gentle)
    -Scratch, Faint Attack, Bite, Pay Day
    *Ch'ding (Farfetch'd, lvl 29, Adamant, holding Stick)
    -Fly, Fury Cutter, Knock Off, Fury Attack
    *Beedrill (lvl 24, Docile)
    -Poison Sting, Twineedle, Focus Energy, Fury Attack
    *Dugtrio (lvl 26, Calm)
    -Fury Swipes, Sand Tomb, Magnitude, Dig

At this point I'm not evolving Hobbes, since I just think he's awesome as a Meowth. He will evolve at some point, but until I say otherwise, he's not evolved yet.

Current Progress
    Dex: 28
    Badges: 4

kellogs

Crunchy
    Years
  • Doing a Ruby run right now.Just finished all the gyms but i'm gonna train first.

Here is my team:
    POKE'S Level Nature
    Machoke- lvl 42 - gentle
    Kadabra- lvl 42- quirky
    Swampert -lvl 42- gentle
    Aggron- lvl 42- hasty
    Mighyena-lvl 42- adamant
    Manectric-lvl 42- jolly

Yeah i'm weird about levels,they all have to be the same for me :O Im going to trade my Machoke to get it to a Machamp,ill bribe my brother for a trade :D Never had a Manectric on my team before,there quite handy :)

PokeMoon

Proud "Teh New Era" Member
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Currently in a duo pokemon run challenge in Ruby.
    I have:
    Alakazam - Lvl75
    Gardevoir - Lvl77

I completed the Elite four yesterday [Day2]
    and now I am attempting the battle tower.
    I need to get 50 wins in a row.. and I'm in the level 100 run.
    :|

Hallylicious

アラン
    Years
  • After a long time deciding wether i should restart my Emerald game, i finally did. I have just defeated the rustboro gym leader. My party includes
    Mudkip (Swanies08)- lvl 14
    Shromish (1 UP)- lvl 14
    Taillow (Telly) - lvl 14

PokeMoon

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    After a long time deciding wether i should restart my Emerald game, i finally did. I have just defeated the rustboro gym leader. My party includes
    Mudkip (Swanies08)- lvl 14
    Shromish (1 UP)- lvl 14
    Taillow (Telly) - lvl 14

Seems like you've chosen some good pokemon so far :]
    Even though I would reccomend get Ralts. It's worth it.

Rating time :]

Mudkip - His last evolution is a good pokemon because it's ground and water. Total ownage. :] Good starter choice.

Shromish - His final evolution is strong, and powerful. And good name. A second good choice.

Taillow - Even though he is not the best pokemon, IMO, He is a pretty good pokemon and therefore not a bad choice -- I'd trade this out for something else though. Im not sure what though.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
  • I started a new game on Sapphire a few days ago...

Throughout I have forgotten to pick up Cut, fight a pair of twins you have to talk to in order to initiate the fight, Pokeblock Case, Harbour Mail, even deliver the Devon Goods. I ran right past the building and had to back track after the road ahead was blocked.

While my Pokemon point and laugh, I blame stress for making me so forgetful.

... Wait, I just remembered, I need the Rock Smash HM...

Dammit!

PokeMoon

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    @Switchback >
    I' m at the battle tower and I don't have cut or flash :]

Hallylicious

アラン
    Years
  • I am currently at Mosdeep city. I have relized that my team is underpowered.
    Swampert - lvl 37
    Altaria - lvl 36
    Breloom - lvl 34
    Kadabra - lvl 33
    Raichu - lvl 35 (knows volt tackle)
    Zigzagoon - lvl 9

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back