• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's with the anime's love of people becoming chefs?

Sparky-Muse

School Kid Val
Years
  • So in the anime, people change their ambitions often, but they're usually Pokémon related ambitions. Ash, obviously, wanted to become a Pokémon master. If I remember correctly, May wanted to become a contest winner, then a breeder, then a researcher. Brock wanted to become a doctor. Dawn wanted to become a coordinator. You get the idea. Most if not all of these are Pokémon related. Then you have characters who want to become chefs and food enthusiasts. Not Pokémon chefs and enthusiasts, not travelling ones, just ordinary food people. It seems oddly specific and yet the anime exclusively rolls with it for a number of people, it's associated with Cilan but it becomes more story-related with Hau, and now Roy from the upcoming new series is said to want to be a chef.

Not judging peoples' dreams, but is there a connection I'm not seeing? Like we never see anyone say "I want to become an architect" or "I want to make clothes" or "I want to become a world renowned artist", yet we see a whole lot of people who want to be just regular chefs. Does the anime director just really like the food channel?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Moved to the anime section since it's, well, talking about the anime.

As for the topic, if I had to guess:

Part of the reason is that cooking is the kind of job anyone can understand at a glance and is easy to depict in an anime in a non-intrusive way. (Something like architect or tailor needs more coddling from the plot, and something like artists needs more effort from your art design and animation crew).

Part of the reason is that cooking synergizes well with the games, ever since Gen VI, every gen has some kind of food aspect going on, and Gen VIII and IX specifically have food making minigames, so bringing attention to this helps. In the case of Roy especifically, him as a chef would synergize well with one of SV's pathes.

And part of the reason is that kids in general (at least 10 year olds) usually don't know a lot about what they want to do, cooking is something they see a lot and might have some experience, and not every job in Pokémon needs to be related to Pokémon, the same way not every job here needs to be related to pets, or jobs in a fantasy setting needs to be related to magic.

(And as aside, we have had two artist characters in the anime before: Tracey and Mina - although Tracey ended up going for a research position. Professor Oak also showed artistic ability in the movies.)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Cooking is a very large cultural thing in Japan. It is present in almost every game. From Hoenn to Kalos. And then intensifies in Alola, Galar and Paldea. Food is one of the main things people want to experience when it comes to exploring and survival. Food has always been a major part in pokemon and Japanese culture from Iron Chef, to almost every anime having a chef as a main character, or someone who wants to cook.

All in all I just think food is the easiest thing to connect with across the world. It is a major thing that brings the world together is the love for food and styles and in every country, they have their own styles and their own ways to cook. And with pokemon being an adventure related series, food is a main thing that is always present.

Back