• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Since it's now 2022, later this year will make it 20 full years since the original series ended, as well as Misty being written off the series.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    The original series/Johto ended in Japan in November 2002. Now that we're in 2022, once we hit later this year it'll have been 20 full years since the OS ended.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP273

"Gotta Catch Ya Later" aired in Japan on Nov. 7th 2002. Which means now that we're in 2022, its officially been almost 20 years since Misty left the Pokemon anime as a main character. It's hard to believe this was nearly 20 years ago now, especially for those of us who watched since the beginning. In that span an entire person can go through Kindergarten, Junior High, High School, College, and even get married and have a kid in the timespan since Misty was written off the anime from then till now. After all most original series fans are close to or around 30 years old now, so time flies.

At the same time, it's actually kind of ironic when you stop to realize how short-lived Misty's role in the anime really was. The anime started in Japan in 1997 and by 2002 she was already leaving, so she only had a 5 year run in the show. It also makes sense, Johto is only Gen 2, and we're now in Gen 8...so Misty was only around when the Pokemon franchise was still practically in its infancy. It's hard to believe that the Pokemon franchise as a whole was only a little over 5 years old when Misty left, which really puts in perspective how long its been since she's been gone from the show. Nowadays entire generations of millions of kids have grown up watching the anime from 2003-2021+ long after Misty has been gone. She was basically only around for 20% of the animes total episodes.

I guess in retrospect, some people really did waste 20 years of their lives since 2002 trying to base the show around the original cast or Misty, when that was only a short part of the series now considering the *entire anime* now takes place after the original series ended and Misty left. I'll be interested to see the replies here, lol.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • As someone who got into the anime after Misty was already gone, it is pretty ....wild that was 20 years ago. While 5 years is short, she was still in the anime longer than most of the other characters, to some extent. I think she was still the longest lasting out of any of the female protagonists, since she was the only one who was a main character for more than 200 episodes. But, yes, it is still short lived, but I suppose you can say that about anything that's over 1,000 episodes. With the exception of I guess Ash's Pikachu, Ash himself and Brock since Brock was in I think...500+ episodes before leaving. I don't remember anymore. I got into the anime in 2007, that was so long ago now.

Years
  • I got into the series as a kid when AG and Orange Islands episodes were still relatively new, so I did grow up with her presence on the show. Still, I didn't get massively attached to her or anything - same with Brock. She did have a memorable personality and was adorable in general, especially with her Psyduck, but I don't miss her as much as others. Her reappearance in SuMo was satisfying enough to me!

(Also cannot believe it's been 20 years. Time flies.)

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I wonder if Misty will get a cameo in Journey's during her 20 year departure from the series.

Either way the writers must not have thought Misty was ever worth reviving on the cast given they had multiple opportunities to do so and chose otherwise each and every time. Most of the current series takes place in Kanto and Vermilion is right next to Cerulean and she's been absent the entire time.

I still remember when misty fans like Weedle or whatever his name was used to troll these forums about her leaving for literal decades after she left the cast till he got banned, lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    At least Misty got her bike back after 5 seasons of losing it in the very first episode.

Back