• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMXP Movies?

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2023
    Hello,

Here is an interesting idea that I'll explain here. While RPG Maker XP is a game development engine, it is possible to tell a story through RMXP without input from a player.

There are two ways this can be approached. First, exclusively using all autorun events, developers can seemingly present a movie-styled experience with minimal scripting. Just movements, texts, teleportations, and pictures. The second approach is to make it into a Telltale-styled game where the player makes important decisions (in Pok?mon's case that would be starters, Gym challenging order, etc.) and that decision affects how the game/movie progresses. This still eliminates the need to program and event out every nook and cranny in a game while still being able to effectively tell a story.

I'll use an example here that I may or may not apply. I thought that FRLG were terrible remakes and did not do RBGY justice. At all. And Yellow wasn't even officially remade. There already exists a Pok?mon Yellow fan-made remake in Desbrina's game, which throws a wrench in my intention to remake FRLG myself because I would basically be copying Desbrina (much love to Des, LightningYellow is a great game). In comes the movie idea. I could my interpretation of Gen 1's story without producing a nearly identical game to Desbrina.

Pros:
    • New developers could use these methods to learn RMXP's default functions without scripts
    • Much easier than developing a full game; just make events flow to tell your story
    • In the case of Pok?mon games, it would be enjoyable for fans who like the story, not necessarily the grinding and constant battling

Cons:
    • Could appear repetitive or similar to existing anime, television show, or movie
    • Total lack of player control
    • Very little location exploration

Please let me know what you think down below. I am highly considering making a Telltale-styled version of FRLG with updated graphics. As mentioned above, there would be no battling, but the player would be able to make decisions which affects the events in the game. If reactions to this thread are positive, I will move forward with that project.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • Personally, I'm not sure exactly how well this idea would go over in the end - you're trying to turn a video game into a movie. That doesn't necessarily work out. You're not totally taking out player input - they still have to mash the A button all throughout long cutscenes. And even if you did totally remove player input... why not just make it an actual movie or video at that point?

As for the Telltale style of Pokemon game, it's nothing new. Several people have done games that feature making choices. But it's still the route I would suggest you take. If you allow the players to have battles and be able to explore areas while not in a story moment, it will work so much better as a game rather than a movie. They'll be much more in control and likely will be much more engaged in the story.

And I wouldn't be afraid to make a FRLG remake simply because of one other person's remake - I wouldn't do it because it seems like every other person has made a Kanto remake. Perhaps an Emerald remake where some of the choices are siding with Team Aqua or Team Magma? Or maybe just branch off and do your own thing?

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • Personally, I'm not sure exactly how well this idea would go over in the end - you're trying to turn a video game into a movie. That doesn't necessarily work out. You're not totally taking out player input - they still have to mash the A button all throughout long cutscenes. And even if you did totally remove player input... why not just make it an actual movie or video at that point?

As for the Telltale style of Pokemon game, it's nothing new. Several people have done games that feature making choices. But it's still the route I would suggest you take. If you allow the players to have battles and be able to explore areas while not in a story moment, it will work so much better as a game rather than a movie. They'll be much more in control and likely will be much more engaged in the story.

And I wouldn't be afraid to make a FRLG remake simply because of one other person's remake - I wouldn't do it because it seems like every other person has made a Kanto remake. Perhaps an Emerald remake where some of the choices are siding with Team Aqua or Team Magma? Or maybe just branch off and do your own thing?

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2023
    Personally, I'm not sure exactly how well this idea would go over in the end - you're trying to turn a video game into a movie. That doesn't necessarily work out. You're not totally taking out player input - they still have to mash the A button all throughout long cutscenes. And even if you did totally remove player input... why not just make it an actual movie or video at that point?

I appreciate your input. :)

Back