• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Updater" Application

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2023
    Hello,

We're speaking in-theory here. Let's say I pushed out something with three items in one folder: a .exe file, a folder full of .mp3 files, and a folder with thousands of .txt. files.

I give the folder with those items to 100 people all across the world. Communication with those 100 people isn't easy or consistent. One person tells me there's a spelling error in one of the .txt files. But in order for society to carry on, that spelling error must be fixed.

The situation here is that patience of those people is equivalent to the patience of a toddler on crack. I don't want to notify 100 people of a new download and they're not going to want to sit through the entire download of the thousands of files to fix one file (which by the way, they cannot edit the file, they must replace it with what I give them).

My question being, is there something I can do where I can store updates to those files on a server and have an application in the root folder which 100 people received to, when opened, 1) Check for changes in files 2) Replace files with the new version from the server. This means I don't have to notify 100 different people when the files change, they just update at their own liberty.

So if you have any guidance, I'd be more than appreciative to hear it. Thanks.

Also, if you're curious on what I'm doing to where I'm giving people thousands of files, PM me and I'll let you know.

Back