• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice for a Noob?

• Thread starter Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
  • Start date

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Hey guys, I was just wondering if I could get some feedback and help to improve the team i'm building on Pokemon Showdown.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
Lonely Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
Serious Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

Any suggestions and criticism is welcomed. :)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Leads are pretty much dead in Gen V because of Team Preview, but Azelf still makes a good one nonetheless. It should be using a +Speed nature (Naive or Hasty) so that it can outspend as much as it can. Explosion got nerfed this gen too. A lead Azelf would use this set to get SR up as early as possible:
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Fire Blast/Psychic
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash

Scizor should always use an Adamant nature because Bullet Punch already fixes its Speed problem.

Use a Naive nature with Salamence because some of its resists come from the physical end. Moxie + Outrage + Dragon Dance is also now legal, so you can use Outrage instead of Dragon Claw. Use a Lum Berry to get rid of status mid-setup or post-Outrage confusion.

On Jellicent, use the EV spread of 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef to help it take physical hits slightly more easily.

Ferrothorn's set is more defensively oriented; a Brave nature is more suited for a Choice set; the ideal nature and EVs to use are Relaxed with 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef to make the most out of its defensive capabilities.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I don't think its a good idea to have 4 Physical Attackers.

SuperTreaz

The Elder of Dunsparce
Years
A fire type would demolish Breloom, Lucario, Scizor, and Ferrothorn. A dark type would take out Azelf and Jellicent, too. So... Watch out for any Houndooms.
Also, a flying type would take out Breloom, Lucario, Scizor, and Ferrothorn too.

I suggest replacing someone with Carracosta, to get the water and rock typing in there.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
A fire type would demolish Breloom, Lucario, Scizor, and Ferrothorn. A dark type would take out Azelf and Jellicent, too. So... Watch out for any Houndooms.
Also, a flying type would take out Breloom, Lucario, Scizor, and Ferrothorn too.

I suggest replacing someone with Carracosta, to get the water and rock typing in there.

Who uses a Houndoom in OU...? But yes, I agree, your team is majorly weak to Fire Pokemon. Heatran can pretty much take out over half your team. And probably take out Azelf with Fire Blast. Drop Lucario and Breloom IMO. Your ev's are quite messed up as well.

I may do a more in depth rate later.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Well i am new at this. Yes ive been battling, and Hetran is quite a big problem. I normally take him out with salamence, and i'm using Azelf for my lead. I'm winning about 75% of the time. Yes i think i should drop Lucario. I have also had trouple against Magnazone with HP fire.

Perriechu

Years
Magnezone has Magnet Pull, allowing it to trap fellow steels and take them down with Hidden Power Fire. Honestly I don't see why you need Breloom, Scizor can do things just as well imo. (Although it lacks coverage against Heatran if you don't run Superpower/Brick Break). I'm gonna go back on what I said about Lucario, lmao. I guess you could either run a Choice Scarf variant or a Calm Mind, idr if there's actually a calm mind variant or if it's Nasty Plot. Anyway Lucario has good offensive stats and a good typing. And a nice movepool. Earthquake could easily take down Magnezone... hell, Close Combat or Aura Sphere could (after a boost with the latter).

Giratina'sGuardian

Competitive Battler
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2014
To be honest as one of the members said up above, leads are pretty much dead because of team preview. Explosion got nuked in gen v also. Personally i'd also put a jolly salamence so you can be fast enough to out speed non choice scarfed pokemon :).

Lila.

Banned
Years
Hey. This seems like a cool team. Although I'm pretty confused as to what type of playstyle that you're going for. It appears that you would like to use a hyper offense team (Azelf, Lucario, Dragonite, Scizor etc are all staples of hyper offense). After looking through the team completely, it seems that you have a few sweepers which work together decently and a standard defensive core. I think that if you shifted the team's focus to hyper offense, then your team could be used more efficiently. I definitely think that azelf should be your lead here. It can get up stealth rock efficiently and works to your advantage when facing hyper offense teams that happen to have deo-d. Honestly, I think I would get rid of your defensive core. Ferrothorn + jellicent is a pretty decent combo, but they just don't mold with the rest of the team as well. Although this will lead to some pretty big changes, I think that you're much better off with using something such as life orb terrakion + dragon dance dragonite.

The point of hyper offense is to use sweepers with the same sorts of switch ins in order to wear down each other's counters. For example, skarmory is a decent switch into scizor, dragonite, and in some cases even terrakion. Although when your opponent happens to be using a stall team, their team can't possibly take assaults for all 4 of your sweepers. This leads to skarmory, ferrothorn, jirachi etc being worn down easily and an eventual sweep for you. With this, I would most definitely recommend choice scarf salamence as opposed to your current version. Moxie scarf salamence is obviously still very viable in bw2. Your team also likes the speed and raw power that salamence can give you with a scarf variant. Also, salamence acts as a fantastic late game cleaner as it can pretty much be your trump card with moxie boosts and a weakened team.

As for some smaller changes, I would recommend iron plate + swords dance scizor over your current version. I would also change the moveset to swords dance / u-turn / roost / bullet punch. Although this is sort of a strange set, it allows scizor to act as a choice banded variant earlier in the match (scouting what your opponent can bring in against scizor), and once your sweepers have eliminated any scizor checks / counters etc, then you are free to easily sweep them. A more specially defensive spread is recommended here as well. Hope, I didn't make too many changes to the team. gl!

SuperTreaz

The Elder of Dunsparce
Years

Who uses a Houndoom in OU...? But yes, I agree, your team is majorly weak to Fire Pokemon. Heatran can pretty much take out over half your team. And probably take out Azelf with Fire Blast. Drop Lucario and Breloom IMO. Your ev's are quite messed up as well.

I may do a more in depth rate later.

The Houndoom was just a thought, considering the major weakness to Fire/Dark. Hahaha.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Updated first post :) Give me your thoughts.

Perriechu

Years
Ok wow, not one of your Pokemon is a special attacker, leaving Physical walls to set-up. (Although most of your Pokemon can probably set-up themselves and strike back) but it's nice to have a special option. I suggest replacing Salamance with Hydreigon. Hydreigon's got a pretty fierce special attack stat along with above average defensive and speed stats.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Why the 0 Speed IV on Terrakion? Speed is one of Terrakion's best assets and that's a waste. It should also be Jolly, not Serious (unless that's a typo). You could also fit in Quick Attack in there somewhere for some priority.

You're going to have to choose between Dragonite or Salamence since both share the same typing, and by extension, the same weaknesses.

And @Dragonomega: Dragonite can also go mixed if physical walls are a problem:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-ExtremeSpeed/Roost
Nature: Rash/Mild
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale

Back